Android upgrade to 10.5 (1110172) and home screen shortcuts

Hi there, I have just upgraded the above and the existing shortcuts on my home screen (shortcuts to specific notes) no longer work.

I have deleted them but I can no longer find the option to recreate them?

Where has the ability to add a note shortcut to an Android home screen gone?  Please bring it back if it has been removed as part of the upgrade.

thanks in advance for your help

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Kevy said:

Hi there, I have just upgraded the above and the existing shortcuts on my home screen (shortcuts to specific notes) no longer work.

I have deleted them but I can no longer find the option to recreate them?

Where has the ability to add a note shortcut to an Android home screen gone?  Please bring it back if it has been removed as part of the upgrade.

thanks in advance for your help

I have the same problem. I emailed support but have not received an answer. Why do they upgrade and take away features ?

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 minutes ago, gbudden said:

...  Why do they upgrade and take away features ?

The answer to this question is „42“.

About e-mailing support: Even if you have the mail address from a former contact, it makes no sense to send them an e-mail. The support software they are using only forwards e-mail if there is an active ticket correctly mentioned in the mail title. All other mails are probably treated as spam.

If you have an issue, you need to issue a support ticket. You get an automatic answer within minutes (if not, the ticket was not correctly issued in the first place) Response time on my last tickets were within of a few office hours (US office hours).

4 hours ago, gbudden said:

I have the same problem. I emailed support but have not received an answer. Why do they upgrade and take away features ?

Can you let us know what support say, when they respond please? ta

I have certain Evernote folders that I access every day directly, and so I had direct links to them in a folder on my phone's home page. Quite frankly, they were prayers and scriptures I go over every morning and night, so I like being able to access them from within the same folder where I have all my other faith-related apps. And this morning, they were gone. I didn't erase them, they were just gone. And there appears to be no obvious way anymore to recreate them to the home page. If the function was removed, does anyone know an Evernote clone app that has the ability? I'm perfectly happy to ditch Evernote if Evernote ditched this useful function. And I'm happy to ditch Evernote if they moved it to being a premium function - I have to believe someone out there has the capability without charging for it.

Dave makes an interesting point, how about downgrading Evernote to a previous version?  I noticed that this Evernote upgrade also upgraded the databases.  would it be possible to remove Evernote completely and install a version before 10.5.  Does anyone have an Android repository of old Evernote versions accessible to everyone?   

• Like 1

Much like Dave I have work files in Evernote that I need to access several times a day. Each jobsite is in Evernote and I need to update them several times a day. Not being able to access notes and tags on my homescreen adds several additional steps, this adds up over the day. I contacted Evernote and they said they may consider putting this feature back in a future update. 

I asked about getting the previous version of Evernote and they said they don't supply previous versions. 

It seems like an FU to a 10 year subscriber, sure update they app, add new features, etc, but don't take features away ! Honestly I've started playing around with OneNote the past few days, in embedded in Evernote deeply, but it may be time to move on. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, gbudden said:

Honestly I've started playing around with OneNote the past few days, in embedded in Evernote deeply, but it may be time to move on. 

I am the same, how have you found MS OneNote?  I have it with my Office 365 subscription but havent used it. 

Have you managed to export Evernote notes in OneNote and have you found any downsides?  I considered this when my employer stopped paying my Evernote premium subscription, on a basic subscription my main bugbear is the limit of no more than 2 devices (I think EN have even counted a web instance as an additional device in recent upgrades). 

I couldnt justify a the cost of a premium subscription  to use EN on 4 devices.  I know premium is more feature rich but in all honesty I dont use the additional features other than additional devices.

I'm the same in that I get OneNote with my 365 subscription.

I haven't exported files over. I did start my latest job file in OneNote, so far I dont see any problems, it should do the job. Problem is Evernote is so easy for me and it works very well with my Calendar app ( Calengoo), which by the way is a fantastic Calendar and Task app, I've used them all, Calengoo is great.

Em 26/02/2021 at 14:05, gbudden disse:

Assim como Dave, tenho arquivos de trabalho no Evernote que preciso acessar várias vezes ao dia. Cada local de trabalho está no Evernote e preciso atualizá-los várias vezes ao dia. Não ser capaz de acessar notas e tags na minha tela inicial acrescenta várias etapas adicionais, isso aumenta ao longo do dia. Entrei em contato com o Evernote e eles disseram que podem considerar colocar esse recurso de volta em uma atualização futura. 

Eu perguntei sobre como obter a versão anterior do Evernote e eles disseram que não fornecem versões anteriores. 

Parece um FU para um assinante de 10 anos, atualize o aplicativo, adicione novos recursos, etc, mas não tire recursos! Honestamente, comecei a brincar com o OneNote nos últimos dias, profundamente incorporado ao Evernote, mas pode ser hora de seguir em frente. 

Olá, gbudden. Faça o seguinte:

*** Se houver alguma dúvida sobre como instalar um aplicativo APK, faça uma pesquisa no youtube sobre como instalar aplicativos APK que vocês acham.

• Evernote Expert
On 2/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, Kevy said:

Dave makes an interesting point, how about downgrading Evernote to a previous version?  I noticed that this Evernote upgrade also upgraded the databases.  would it be possible to remove Evernote completely and install a version before 10.5.  Does anyone have an Android repository of old Evernote versions accessible to everyone?   

I made sure to capture the apk of the old version of the Android app.  Many users still only have that and are keen to get the update despite the issues that trouble some users.  I have confidence in apkmirror as a service to get the previous version but I know that some folk would avoid this.

Uninstalling v10.5 would clear the application from the device and hen installing the old version would cause your notes to be restored.  Just remember to turn off auto-updates to ensure you don't get version 10.5 back again.

• Like 1

I was able to reinstall 8.13.3. Thank you Pere Costa.

It turns out alot of features I use were taken away with last update. I couldn't find a way to add pictures to existing notes, this feature is back with older version. 

Evernote is really degrading over time. I have been a paying subscriber and it seems to me for the past year every "upgrade" has reduced my functionality or made it harder to use. This is true for both the Windows app and Android. The WIndows app is incredibly slow to load pages now, and the Android app removes a key function (shortcuts to particular notes) and crashes on large notes.

Looks like I may have to make the switch back to OneNote. Probably better to do sooner than later, as my guess is that Evernote's current trajectory means they will be out of business within a year or 2.

I understand that the developers have to set priorities, but to remove a function as basic as creating a shortcut seems incredibly stupid. Don't these folks ever ask what is important to their users? All they would need to do is ask and we paid subscribers would surely give them all the guidance they could use!