Offline Notes Not Available!!

I don't understand why I cannot access any notes offline on my laptop! I never sign out of my Evernote on my laptop and I really don't have a large database of information so it's not a syncing issue. But regardless, if my laptop doesn't connect to wifi for whatever reason, I should still be able to access Evernote and my notes. When I launch Evernote, it just loads and nothing. This experiential use after the new overhaul/redesign is terrible and has completely disregarded desktop/laptop users. Please fix this ASAP!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  There's a help page - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005177 which includes... (my emphasis)

Evernote for Mac and Windows store all of your synced notebooks and notes in a local database. Because your content exists in local files on your computer, you'll always have access to them, even when you don't have an internet connection. To access these notes, make sure that you're already signed in to the app before you disconnect from the internet. Any changes you make during your time offline will be synced the next time your computer connects to the internet.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

The text and feature is tricking users. There is not a full sync of notes on Windows platform. Just installed on my new laptop and preparing for a trip, and testing that i have all offline. Only title, no body. On mobile there is an option to specify what is available offline and it should download. Even there is downloading since hours.

I have a Personal account.

Once i viewed the note in online mode, i can see it in offline, but going to visit all my hundreds notes, make no sense.

• Level 5

For me it works, I use it quite often while on the train. With a shaky internet connection it is better to go offline and use the local data.

Everything is there, notes, attachments, full search. I use a Mac, but the desktop clients work the same.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. The content has not yet completely downloaded. It will go for note metadata, title first, then the body, then attachments.
  2. There is a data corruption of the local database. You can replace it by a new copy using this procedure:
    1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
    2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
    3. Restart your computer.
    4. Sign back in to Evernote

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

I had the same problem: new Windows small laptop I bought to go to a congress out of my cuountry. No Internet acces in my hotel and now, when I need to review my notes, they are empty.

I thought the syncing was automatic. Maybe I didn't wait enough time for the syncing to be done. But if I have to open all my 20.000 notes to get them synced, I would rather memorize them all!!!!

• Level 5

When you download the client and log in, it will load an initial set of data.

From then on it continues to download all the rest, but it can only do it while the app is open. So after the initial download, you need to leave the app running in the background if you want a fast full download.

I have checked on data traffic to see how long it takes. For 20.000 notes I estimate between 5 days and a week, on a good internet connection.

That's why we need fearure parity on windows: have the opportunity to select the realyl needed offline notebooks for download AND show what is already available offline. Until now it is fully intransparent on desktop.

@pablovsYou could use the EN legacy win client instead. It downloads the notes much faster.

• Level 5

Nobody needs „feature parity“ if it means a reduction of features compared to now. And NOW means a full download of all notes, including attachments to the local drive. Legacy did the same, btw.

When I compared the folder sizes the last time, legacy and v10 used a similar size for the full database. There is no need to load into legacy - it will just double the volume of data stored locally.

And there is a reason why the desktop clients load ALL: These clients allow for bulk operations - and they are the only ones. These operations like tagging a bunch of notes in one go make use of the local database.

If they seem slow, going offline to speed the bulk processing up is a good strategy. But it requires all notes loaded on device.

The full download taking (in my case) 3 days after a fresh install is no real issue. It is a one timer, once done the updating of the database happens within seconds. The only important thing is to keep the app running while it still fetches data from the server.

• Like 1