Add vertical widget shape on start screen

Alex Mas

Idea

19 replies to this idea

I agree with this. I want to be able to see more of my tasks at a glance. I also have a project list that I would like to be able to see more of. By expanding the widgets vertically would help greatly!

• Like 5
  • Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, Claudiofpiga said:

about widgets , not only having them inside Evernote ,  also outside Evernote ( as iOs / iPados home screen widgets) to have the chances to have direct access to tasks and agenda tasks directly from home screen 

A good idea but entirely separate from Home Page stuff ;)

• Thanks 1

I agree completely that we should have the option to expand the widget vertically as well as horizontally. So many widgets are naturally long rather than wide. Even for a pinned note if I make it wide enough to get as much information on screen as I can without scrolling it's then too wide to see it all when I view it as a regular note. May be it is my previous preoccupation with paper but I think of notes as portrait not landscape.

And while we are on the subject or resizing widgets. When I double the size of the favorites widget I expect to be able to see twice as many favorites not the same number twice the size!

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert
16 hours ago, shcapes said:

Why has this not been implemented yet?

Who can tell. There are only half a dozen requests. Given the amount of work still to be done I'd guess that this idea is lower priority than many other things affecting many more users.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Who can tell. There are only half a dozen requests. Given the amount of work still to be done I'd guess that this idea is lower priority than many other things affecting many more users.

The current Home screen adds nothing for me. There are so many ways to get the same functionaility using tags, shortcuts and internal links that I've almost forgotten Home exists. I solved the problems that the Home screen is trying to address, years ago so it's not a priority for me to shout about why Home is unuseable for me. If EN addressed my two main issues:

• portrait orientation notes
  • the ability to increase the number of shortcuts (not their size) when you increase the size of the shortcuts box

I would of course give it another go. I agree with you though that EN probably has more important issues to address.

• Like 1

wheres the super-like on this thing?  I'm excited about evernote but a wider calendar widget does nothing for me. 

Here's how I spend most of my day:

1. look at calendar to see my next meeting or scheduled task
  2. join meeting,
  3. take notes during meeting, create reminders/followups about meeting,
  4. look at calendar to see my next meeting, goto 1

somewhere in there is an undocumented step that involves opening up at least 6 new browser tabs. 

• Like 1

Why has this not been implemented yet? I was excited that I upgraded to the paid plan for the dashboard but the widgets are just too small. Yes the widgets can be made wider but why not have an option of extending the height..... so at least up to double the current height would be good. Seems like such a basic concept, @EverNoteplease add this in the next update or at least let us know the difficulty of doing this if it's not possible. Thanks, I'm enjoying the app so far but after paying for it I would think the dashboard would have more flexibility by at least having the option to increase widget height. The calendar should have month view as well as day. I'm sure lots of others agree based on the forums I've been looking over today.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

They just modified the iPad Home screen to vertical, and 3 side by side, from horizontal.

Guess what: Users started to claim fiercely to get horizontal orientation back.

If EN developers read through the forum (we have no indication they do ...), they must roll their eyes and think "can't these guys ever agree to something" !

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

They just modified the iPad Home screen to vertical, and 3 side by side, from horizontal.

Guess what: Users started to claim fiercely to get horizontal orientation back.

If EN developers read through the forum (we have no indication they do ...), they must roll their eyes and think "can't these guys ever agree to something" !

This is the Windows forum. I am talking about the Windows desktop application. I'm sure EN realise that people will want different layouts on two completely different screens.

• Level 5

My comment was not about a specific layout on a special device. It was about the individual view of users on what they / we expect from the software we use. Sometimes there simply is no „best“ option.

One possibility would be extended settings - that come with a price in complexity and performance. Another to simply accept that some things need to be decided, and if by flipping a coin.

Nobody wants them to strictly change the view to something new, both options should be available since both have uses... When customizing widgets on the home screen, there is 3 options to make them wider - small, medium, and large. I think extending vertical orientation / height should be added as well, don't replace the horizontal options, add both. Not sure why this is difficult but I suppose they have their reasons.

• Like 2

I take it this functionality has still not been implemented, i.e. I'm not an idiot for not being able to figure this out? :)

I just subscribed to the Pro plan, and glad I only paid for a month, because this is a deal breaker for me. I have 3 calendars and would like to be able to be able to see a full day at a glance. 

Looks like Evernote was not the right solution for me.

• Sad 1

It has not been implemented, no. I don't even use my Evernote home page because the widgets have very little height to them with no way to extend them (you can only change width), so I barely get a glimpse at pinned notes or my calendar before having to scroll.

• Like 1