Evernote is locked full-screen with title bar, no corner controls, and the Windows 10 taskbar is covered. I have to use Alt-Tab to switch out to other apps.

I'm struggling with Evernote v 10.5.7 build 2171 public Editor: v114.1.14753 Service: v1.25.2 on my new Lenovo T14 Gen 1 Intel Core i7-10xxx laptop.  I found my favored layout gone and a mishmash of widgets that reminds me of a new smartphone.  I deleted all of them and finished where I wanted to be, with notebooks and shortcuts on the left, notes listed across the top, and note content on bottom.  I encountered the bug where notes were empty, but that has fortunately gone away.  The only bug I can't solve is that when Evernote opens, it's full-screen.  There's no title bar and no title bar controls like all Windows 10 windows have.  The bottom of the Evernote screen covers my Windows 10 taskbar.  So the only way to close Evernote is through the File menu, or I can use Alt-Tab to switch away to another app and use Task Manager to close Evernote.  This behavior occurs on my 14" laptop screen or my 27" external display.  I am using normal 100% text scaling and recommended screen resolution 1920 x 1080 for my 27" screen and laptop.  I tried other screen resolutions, it makes no difference.  My office PC has the old version of Evernote and that version works fine.  I'm reluctant to upgrade that PC to the new version of Evernote due to the many bugs.  I opened a ticket with Evernote and sent in my logs, I hope they can fix this.

1345219334_NewEvernoteScreenwithnowindowcontrolsandcoveringtheWindowstaskbar.thumb.jpg.f481fc8561068183f733b55f763ad47e.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 3:20 PM, DLStreit said:

There's no title bar and no title bar controls like all Windows 10 windows have

It sounds like somehow the size of the window was made larger than the screen. I don't run v10 (you can take v6 from my cold dead keyboard!) so I don't know if this will work - press alt+spacebar (brings up system menu), use arrows keys the select 'Move' (press return), press any arrow key (to start the move), then use the mouse to get the caption visible. You should be able to resize it then. This should work with any windows program - unless the program is doing something truly funky.

This even works when a program thinks it is located a million miles off-screen. (I used to have to do that regularly with Firefox many years ago)

I inadvertently discovered the problem; Evernote was in full-screen mode.  Press F11 and the window resized with window controls, a title bar, and I could see the taskbar again. Duh!

Keep v6.  V10 is very disappointing.  It has a significant bug that should have been fixed before release.  Sometimes note content goes missing, all notes appear empty.  Quitting and restarting Evernote does not fix the problem; only a reboot works.  This problem has been reported and Evernote says they are aware of it.  Evernote v10 is also very slow to start and it feels sluggish.  It just feels harder to use, too.  I downloaded v6 and I read it can be used alongside v10, but I'm trying to get used to Evernote v10 before I do that.  All in all, Evernote 10 feels like New Coke.  It sounded good, but poor execution means it's a huge step back.

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 7:22 PM, DLStreit said:

I inadvertently discovered the problem; Evernote was in full-screen mode.  Press F11 and the window resized with window controls, a title bar, and I could see the taskbar again. Duh!

Thanks. I tried lots including the window move, but it was F11 that fixed mine.

• Thanks 1

It's now August 18th, 2021, and I can amend my comments about how disappointed I was with v10.  Evernote is currently v10.19.2.  It is FINALLY stable and all the features work.  I moved back from Evernote Classic a few weeks ago.  I have saved searches to the Shortcuts for each of my clients which saves me a ton of time in looking up information when I need it.  I'm still not a fan of the Home screen, I'd rather Evernote just open to the layout I've established.  I'd welcome a preference to not use the Home screen and just open the last used layout.  I also don't need the new tasks function as I use Todoist, a superb task manager.  I don't need Evernote reminders, either, because I use Fantastical for my iPhone and iPad calendar which synchronizes beautifully with Outlook/Exchange.   A

• Level 5

To skip the home screen, EN usually grabs where you are when quitting the app.

It will usually return to this view.

You are running Excel ? Did you know it has more than 400 functions ? How many did you ever use ? If you use 10%, you will probably be above of 90% of all users. You want to comment about everything build into Excel without you ever using it ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello : I have almost the same problem that DLStreit in this thread shared with a screenshot. I am using the latest version of EN. I can drag right, left and bottom sides of the EN pop up to re-size, but the top bar that I need to drag it to another monitor is invisible. F11 does not work either. Other applications like MS Word or Excel open up fine and I can move them around. I have a Thinkpad, using Windows 10 and two additional monitors. Any advice will be highly appreciated. 

• Level 5

No idea what causes the problem. Currently the standard procedure to refresh the app on a Windows machine is this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In my new Windows 11 system, I've been seeing the problem when I open a note in a new window.
The original window remains well-sized, but the newly-opened note was full-screen, with no controls.

F11 was indeed the trick to resolve the problem. I now had controls, but still had to manually resize
the window to get it down to something decent.

Never saw in on Windows 10, so it looks like a bad interaction with 11.

• 9 months later...

Thank you for posting this fix. I was stuck in a godawful nightmare of full-screen Evernote for a day and a half and it took me way too long to find this answer. 

F11!?!?  Are you kidding me!?!?

Now that I've vented, let me say that I LOVE Evernote. Please take away your precious F11 and the constant reminders that I can get the Pro version for 25% off, and we're good again. 

• Level 5
17 hours ago, GeoffEvans7 said:

Thank you for posting this fix. I was stuck in a godawful nightmare of full-screen Evernote for a day and a half and it took me way too long to find this answer. 

F11!?!?  Are you kidding me!?!?

Now that I've vented, let me say that I LOVE Evernote. Please take away your precious F11 and the constant reminders that I can get the Pro version for 25% off, and we're good again. 

Hi, and welcome to the forums. These are primarily user-to-user, and not a reliable way of contacting Evernote directly with specific requests or complains. You can open a support ticket to address them directly: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

As for F11--why not? It works the same way in browsers. As noted previously, this seems to be a problem limited to Windows 11, and it may be that Microsoft has chosen to add something novel to the way new windows open in some recent update, so not necessarily anything "precious" on Evernote's part.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/6/2021 at 7:22 PM, DLStreit said:

Keep v6.  V10 is very disappointing.  It has a significant bug that should have been fixed before release.  Sometimes note content goes missing, all notes appear empty.  Quitting and restarting Evernote does not fix the problem; only a reboot works.  This problem has been reported and Evernote says they are aware of it.  Evernote v10 is also very slow to start and it feels sluggish.  It just feels harder to use, too.  I downloaded v6 and I read it can be used alongside v10, but I'm trying to get used to Evernote v10 before I do that.  All in all, Evernote 10 feels like New Coke.  It sounded good, but poor execution means it's a huge step back.

THANK YOU! This has been driving me crazy.