V10 export is unreliable: missing titles

Go to solution Solved by _jo,

I discovered an export problem while testing Joplin import from a V10 ENEX notebook. All my notes were imported properly, except for some notes which missed a note title. To pinpoint the problem, I did a second import from a V6 ENEX from the same notebook. This time all titles were intact and the complete import was perfect (except for some complicated web clips).

Then to find the culprit, I exported with V10 one of the notes were the imported title was missing. A brief look in the enex file revealed that the title was really missing in the export! So it has nothing to do with Joplin...

I hope Evernote can fix the export problems and provide HTML export as well. When this seems to be impossible, I will switch to Joplin because I don't want to lock me in. Joplin's functionality is very close to my workflow (additional plus points : E2E encryption,  read-only mode, readable export format, fast search)

• eric99 changed the title to V10 export is unreliable: missing titles
On 12/27/2020 at 7:51 PM, eric99 said:

I discovered an export problem while testing Joplin import from a V10 ENEX notebook. All my notes were imported properly, except for some notes which missed a note title. To pinpoint the problem, I did a second import from a V6 ENEX from the same notebook. This time all titles were intact and the complete import was perfect (except for some complicated web clips).

Then to find the culprit, I exported with V10 one of the notes were the imported title was missing. A brief look in the enex file revealed that the title was really missing in the export! So it has nothing to do with Joplin...

I hope Evernote can fix the export problems and provide HTML export as well. When this seems to be impossible, I will switch to Joplin because I don't want to lock me in. Joplin's functionality is very close to my workflow (additional plus points : E2E encryption,  read-only mode, readable export format, fast search)

I've read on the forum that the title is undefined in the export when there are comma's in the title https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/132633-export-all-notes-in-html/?do=findComment&comment=600037

edit: i think also if the title contains a minus sign

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2021 at 12:01 PM, Peter Wouda said:

I have the same problem with ENEX export and comma's in the title. The minus-sign is exported, but the comma's are modified into "undefined".

Evernote version: 10.5.7

This export problem is still not solved in EN 10.8.4  !!!

• 8 months later...

almost a year later, version 10.26 and titles are still lost when exported for backup :(

update: it title export seems to fail for the latest windows 10.26 and also linux 10.7.6 builds. However, export from the web version works (10.24.3) but here it is only possible to export single notes and not complete notebooks...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, _jo said:

export seems to fail for the latest windows 10.26 and also linux 10.7.6 builds.

"Fails" how? - And the Linux Beta is... a beta,  so feed back what you find on the appropriate forum.

1 hour ago, _jo said:

export from the web version works

There is,  as you note,  no 'export' from the web version.  Just 'copy'.

What is it you're trying to do,  how are you attempting to accomplish that,  and what (with technical details please) is actually going wrong??

• Solution

hi @gazumped,
thanks for your answer. Well it fails just the way as it is described in this discussion so far. Some titles are not exported correctly. Actually the title is lost and set to 'Untitled Note'. For this happens for 10% of my notes which leads to a backup which is actually not much worth ...

I tried two official versions (web and windows) and the linux beta. My point was to point out common problems because the issue was the same with windows and linux, it seems therefore not be related to the beta stage!

Actually you can export from web: 'Note Info' --> 'View Note History' --> 'Export'
Although this way leads to valid exports it still comes short because I'm not able to export 5000 notes by hand for a single backup.

I initially thought that is is related to special characters in the title (like 'comma' or 'minus-sign') as mentioned above but it seems to be not the complete picture. I attach example exports for a very simple note that can be correctly exported using the web version but the title is missing when exported from windows or linux.

What is really strange here is that after duplication of the note the duplicate can be exported correctly with all versions. But this is obviously no fix for hundreds of notes..

I really would appriciate a working backup function in Evernote! Do you see any help here?

example_linux.enex example_web.enex example_win.enex

32 minutes ago, _jo said:

hi @gazumped,
thanks for your answer. Well it fails just the way as it is described in this discussion so far. Some titles are not exported correctly. Actually the title is lost and set to 'Untitled Note'. For this happens for 10% of my notes which leads to a backup which is actually not much worth ...

I tried two official versions (web and windows) and the linux beta. My point was to point out common problems because the issue was the same with windows and linux, it seems therefore not be related to the beta stage!

Actually you can export from web: 'Note Info' --> 'View Note History' --> 'Export'
Although this way leads to valid exports it still comes short because I'm not able to export 5000 notes by hand for a single backup.

I initially thought that is is related to special characters in the title (like 'comma' or 'minus-sign') as mentioned above but it seems to be not the complete picture. I attach example exports for a very simple note that can be correctly exported using the web version but the title is missing when exported from windows or linux.

What is really strange here is that after duplication of the note the duplicate can be exported correctly with all versions. But this is obviously no fix for hundreds of notes..

I really would appriciate a working backup function in Evernote! Do you see any help here?

example_linux.enex 1.12 kB · 1 download example_web.enex 973 B · 2 downloads example_win.enex 1.12 kB · 3 downloads

Your win example was created with V10.26 . Is this a beta version? My latest EN version is V10.23.3

• Level 5

The current official version of the desktop clients on the EN website is 10.24.

EN withdrew 10.23 for Windows (Mac not affected) after the installer bug with the standard app modification. So users who keep their install updated will either update from 10.22 or 10.23.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, _jo said:

The only option is iwth the Legacy version but exporting 5,000 notes will likely lose the notebook structure you almost certainly have.  Better to export each Notebook in turn (just export the notebook rather than the individual notes) and reimport into a new notebook as needed. If you are only requiring a backup then you can use a conventional backup program and backup the data directories for either or both the Legacy and/or v10.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The current official version of the desktop clients on the EN website is 10.24.

EN withdrew 10.23 after the installer bug with the standard app modification. So users who keep their install updated will either update from 10.22 or 10.23.

Sorry, my mistake, my version is 10.24.3 as well.

But I'm still confused by the EN version in the attached example_win-4.enex file :  

<en-export export-date="20211208T124627Z" application="Evernote" version="10.26.0">     

Does  version 10.26.0 really exist? Where did you get it from?

In my ENEX files, I see the right version:

<en-export export-date="20211208T152344Z" application="Evernote" version="10.24.3">

By the way, while looking into the enex file, I detected another bug in the export-date: the month is December instead of November

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Does  version 10.26.0 really exist? Where did you get it from?

It's possible that's the Linux Beta version - I'm not on my 'other' laptop at present,  so can't check.  Regardless;  the public version is 24 - any other numbers are irrelevant.  To keep up with the Beta versions join https://evernote.com/earlyaccess

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

It's possible that's the Linux Beta version - I'm not on my 'other' laptop at present,  so can't check.  Regardless;  the public version is 24 - any other numbers are irrelevant.  To keep up with the Beta versions join https://evernote.com/earlyaccess

No, it's the windows EN version in the attached example_win-4.enex file :  

<en-export export-date="20211208T124627Z" application="Evernote" version="10.26.0">   

When I look it up, I find this: https://aiiguide.com/download-evernote.html

• Level 5

This 10.26 comes from no official source and it is no official release software - if you have problems with this version, uninstall it completely, then restart your PC, go to Evernote.com and download the latest official version. It is10.24 - as anybody can check in the EN help pages.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058361833

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This 10.26 comes from no official source and it is no official release software - if you have problems with this version, uninstall it completely, then restart your PC, go to Evernote.com and download the latest official version. It is10.24 - as anybody can check in the EN help pages.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058361833

Yeah, I still wonder where the poster got this version...

• Level 5*

When you ask them nicely for a download link,  it comes up with an address that appears to be Evernote (!!???) I flagged in for the Admins to take a look at.  Either it's a scam or a beta,  and I don't think we're supposed to play with it!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Could be a harmless drop of a beta - or could be an installer for malware.

Since it shows a higher version number than the official release, it may gain a prominent position in search engines. Not bad if I want to drop a payload on an innocent computer …

I would uninstall using an app like Revo Uninstaller - completely, all traces. Then reboot in safe mode and run a full system check by a trusted antivirus solution.

Am I paranoid 🤔 ? 

Am I paranoid enough 😱 ?

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above the problem is not related to beta whatsoever. same problem with 10.25.6, see attachment.
To the contrary, I'm actually very much concerned with the capacity to have a working backup for my notes! It feels a bit like evernote wants to lock me in..

The advise from @agsteele to use legacy for backup is currently the only way for me to get a working backup with intact titles, thanks!

blake2.enex

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

Don't know what causes your problem. The exported note has no title - so far, so obvious. Why it has no title, no idea.

I tried to reproduce this on EN Mac 10.25 direct install. When I export a note, it is exported with all selected credentials. In the export dialogue the title is always selected and can't be unchecked. The exported note has its title, and when reimported it is created with the correct title as well.

SCR-20211117-3ia.png.ee22e71f47a3d14cfcc0a1c5b7573285.png

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, xfuse said:

Did you manage to solve this issue? I have the same problem here as described by op.

Given that this thread is 2 years old I doubt the same problems still exist.  Please give us full details of your device / OS / Evernote version and what you're experiencing,  and let's start over...

• Like 1