Electron, CPU usage, bugs, etc. - SHAMBLES!

I'm appalled with the decision to use Electron for v10. It has obviously made the app slower, more buggy and it simply doesn't feel like a native Mac app anymore. Been a premium subscriber for 8+ years or so and was reasonably happy up until v10. Now with the latest update 10.5.7 almost every time I switch notebooks the app crashes (probably because ***** Javascript code) and I have to "Reload page".

Using Electron also makes your CPU usage higher and it's constantly idling with around 4% usage. On a MBP Core i9. 

Where's QA!? It boggles the mind how this garbage manages to go through a QA dept. you've supposedly built up over 10 years. I'm a developer myself so I know all software has bugs but this is horrendous.

I'll be shopping for a native notes app. Bear.app looks promising. 

• Like 1

I would also prefer native app as much as possible. Yes there are some electron apps that I need to use (like slack) but at least I am not paying for any other Electron app as apart from Evernote.

Electron is great piece of engineering, kudos to them. But it is bloated, RAM and CPU hungry software. What would you expect when you bundle an instance of chrome inside your app.

Here is Evernote 10 (Electron based)

image.thumb.png.2f9b04e89e960381f44f94cac027ce84.png

And here is the classic (native) app

image.thumb.png.cfe3a2e9e3ac74c329aefd215f3b3908.png

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kay dee said:

I would also prefer native app as much as possible. Yes there are some electron apps that I need to use (like slack) but at least I am not paying for any other Electron app as apart from Evernote.

Electron is great piece of engineering, kudos to them. But it is bloated, RAM and CPU hungry software. What would you expect when you bundle an instance of chrome inside your app.

Exactly. I've cancelled my premium membership and migrated to Bear.app. Wonderful native notes app.

I don’t know what folks are doing with their apps but I’ve seen my EN10 app on windows running lower in demands than the native. I’ve never seen it running cpu when not in direct use and I’ve seen it using as little 85mb ram. Now I’m not a power user and my notes are primarily text but it fascinates me that I never see what seems to be an issue for so many others. 
In my option, electron, which is used by many companies with good effect including notion and Joplin is not a concern, it’s only being made so to justify some of the angst towards EN10. 

• Like 2

I was having CPU usage issues.  I do have quite a few notes and am seeing quite a bit of CPU usage and the corresponding reduction in how long my MacBook Pro 13 can run on battery -- to me this is a critical issue.  Perhaps optimization will help this soon.

After a second restart after the 10.5.7 upgrade, CPU usage dropped substantially.  Perhaps, there is an issue between the Helper(s) and the main Evernote when software upgrades happen since they seem to be happening within the main application.

Edited by Dave Green
Updated for new info.
  • 3 weeks later...

Since the new version I am also seeing substantially more issues than previously. It's slow and often hangs / freezes to where my only recourse is to restart the app. This happens many times per day now. I've been a premium customer for many years. It saddens me to have to consider moving on but I'm definitely considering it now. 

• 2 years later...

CPU usage constantly over 20% (Windows). Its not a typical Electron problem, I also use other Electron Apps which don't have this problem. 

Maybe another reason why so many are leaving the sinking ship Evernote. The app is poorly programmed!

• Level 5

Can't talk about Windows.

On a Mac - no matter if on Intel or Apple Silicon - the idle CPU usage is about 1% - as total of all EN processes, usually there are around 7. For an app this size and based on Chrome, this is an excellent value. It seems the app is programmed very well.

Personally I would be happy if some who only seem to come to the forum to spread foul odor would follow their own ill advise.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, devarni said:

CPU usage constantly over 20% (Windows).

At the moment my Outlook and Edge processes are running "very high" because they're sorting something out.  Software does that.  It's only a problem if it's always high.  

Em 22/01/2023 at 20:49, devarni disse:

CPU usage constantly over 20% (Windows). Its not a typical Electron problem, I also use other Electron Apps which don't have this problem. 

Maybe another reason why so many are leaving the sinking ship Evernote. The app is poorly programmed!

I've the same problem here.

Always on 20% CPU usage, started at last update.

Tried Evernote installed from Windows Store and website.

Tried Remove Evernote, erase synced cache and reinstall.

Evernote 10.52.8

Windows 11 22H2 (22621.1105)

Hope for a solution, because this is very annoying and make me considering another note app.

• Level 5

Anybody who wants to remove these database together with the app must use a real Uninstaller app - the build in Uninstaller won’t touch the database.

From the Forum the recommendation is Revo Uninstaller for Windows, AppCleaner for Mac.