Jump to content

Evernote still creates a new notebook for imported content


Recommended Posts

Let's say on the Internet there's a PDF or Word document available as a download and I want to save it to Evernote (currently version 10.3.7 build 2018). In Windows 10, if I choose "open with" and then select "Evernote," the file is imported to a new notebook "imported content+ today's date". In the previous version of Evernote (6+) the content was imported to the default notebook.  It is a real pain having to go into the newly created notebook, manually assign the content to my chosen notebook, and then to have to delete the newly created notebook. Can we not revert back to the original behaviour?  Or at least let the user decide for themselves (in settings) which notebook they want imported content to go to?

Many thanks and just to say, I am getting used to the new Evernote version 10+ on Windows and starting to prefer it to the older version, one or two idiosyncrasies aside!

 

Link to comment

Can you clarify your workflow please?

I'm running Windows 10 Home and using Chrome as my browser. If I'm browsing the web and find a document I'd like to save in Evernote. I use the Evernote Web Clipper extension in Chrome. I click on the link in the web page, which opens the document in the browser then use Clipper extension dialog window to specify the notebook I wish the document to be saved in and the note is created in the desired notebook (your default notebook is the default selection in the Clipper).

You say you use the "Open With" option to import the document into Evernote - does that mean you've already downloaded the document to your PC and are uysing that option from File Explorer?

Link to comment

Obviously I can use the Web Clipper in the way that you suggest for capturing text from HTML webpages, and indeed I frequentlydo.  As an academic however, some of the things I want to store in Evernote are PDFs of articles in research journalswhich are online.  With the older version of Evernote I was able to choose to open these with Evernote and they would simply go into the default notebook.  This is the behaviour I would like to be reinstated, or have the ability to choose, rather than Evernote creating a separate notebook every time.  Incidentally, I am using Firefox for my browser.  I appreciate that I could save the file somewhere on my PC and then later use the right click context menu and do a "send to" Evernote but again, these are extra steps that I would like to avoid if possible.  Hope this makes sense  answers your question. Thank you for your response.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Alan Priest said:

I appreciate that I could save the file somewhere on my PC and then later use the right click context menu and do a "send to" Evernote but again, these are extra steps that I would like to avoid if possible.

Hi.  Can you quote an example URL so that we can do a quick check?  In Evernote legacy and Chrome I have several ways to clip and/ or download a PDF directly to Evernote.  When I've done something similar in the past it seems to me one of the clipper options has been "save PDF to Evernote",  and when I have the PDF open in my browser, there has been an Evernote icon on screen.

Check your Clipper options - open Clipper and look at the bottom of the drop-down list - there are some related choices there...

634643254_ScreenClip1.thumb.png.fd182b25331bf4e9fdc2ef4489ef4f6d.png

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Alan Priest said:

Obviously I can use the Web Clipper in the way that you suggest for capturing text from HTML webpages, and indeed I frequentlydo.  As an academic however, some of the things I want to store in Evernote are PDFs of articles in research journalswhich are online.  With the older version of Evernote I was able to choose to open these with Evernote and they would simply go into the default notebook.  This is the behaviour I would like to be reinstated, or have the ability to choose, rather than Evernote creating a separate notebook every time.  Incidentally, I am using Firefox for my browser.  I appreciate that I could save the file somewhere on my PC and then later use the right click context menu and do a "send to" Evernote but again, these are extra steps that I would like to avoid if possible.  Hope this makes sense  answers your question. Thank you for your response.

Thanks for clarifying your usage. Evernote has always been so flexible in its use, thatb people have found different ways of utilising its capabilities.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

 

Check your Clipper options - open Clipper and look at the bottom of the drop-down list - there are some related choices there...

 

Thanks for reminding me that the clipper extension can be configured by right-clicking the icon on the browser and selecting "Options" - I had totally forgotten that yu could do that!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5
On 11/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, Alan Priest said:

Let's say on the Internet there's a PDF or Word document available as a download and I want to save it to Evernote (currently version 10.3.7 build 2018). In Windows 10, if I choose "open with" and then select "Evernote," the file is imported to a new notebook "imported content+ today's date". In the previous version of Evernote (6+) the content was imported to the default notebook.

Hi @Alan Priest,

I'm not able to reproduce your issue in Firefox.  I, too, work in academia so can appreciate the usefulness of being able to send a journal article direct to Evernote. However, I can't work out how to use the "right-click | open with" trick in Firefox let alone then have it sent off to Evernote. 'Open with' isn't an option inside Firefox for me. It is a desktop option in Windows10 and if I use 'open with' on a desktop PDF then it goes into Evernote as you have described in both v6.25 and v10.3

So I suspect that you have some interesting configuration of document handling in Firefox.  That might be another place to explore.

-----------------

UPDATE: I realised that I long ago made saving to the desktop my default action with PDFs in Firefox. I undid that setting and recovered the option to 'Open With' in the file handling dialog. I have the same experience as you. If I open with v6.25 the PDF goes to the default notebook. In version 10.x a new 'Imported' folder is created for each PDF.  This is similar to an issue that arose when scanning items into Evernote 10.  Hopefully it is an issue that should be solveable by @Shane D. and his colleagues.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...