Can Evernote Make a Comeback?

• Level 5*

Still with the socks...

This is probably true - 

Unsurprisingly, the reaction was mixed. Any company with millions of users typically receives some backlash whenever they change something. That’s partly because people are comfortable and emotionally attached to the services they use every day. When a far-reaching redesign is introduced, it can feel like someone has walked into your home and rearranged everything without asking for permission. 

...but I still find the implied attitude annoying - this release has been pretty much without any information or support for users.  Good for those who liked it,  but those who found the furniture rearranged and a situation like "why do I have no bathroom now!" are expected to wait,  patiently,  until the shiny new bathroom (or whatever) gets delivered...

• Like 4

I think EN is too expensive, compared to other options, to ever make a comeback. I often wonder how things would have played out if they had not started as a (for most practical purposes) free product. If the vast majority of their users had been paying something like $10/year from the beginning, where would EN be today? I think they gave away too much at the start and are paying for it now.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, boydston said:

I think EN is too expensive, compared to other options, to ever make a comeback. I often wonder how things would have played out if they had not started as a (for most practical purposes) free product. If the vast majority of their users had been paying something like $10/year from the beginning, where would EN be today? I think they gave away too much at the start and are paying for it now.

Do you have some special insight into their Balance Sheet? I'm intrigued as to where you get this insider knowledge...

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

Do you have some special insight into their Balance Sheet? I'm intrigued as to where you get this insider knowledge...

What "insider knowledge" did I express? I made no claim regarding their finances or how should have have their business.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CalS said:

Ok, that's fair enough as a comment on their financial handlings. But it's also very clearly a speculatory opinion, especially when taken in context. It's clearly just my opinion based on my perspective of what happened with EN over the last several years. I'd be curious to hear other differing perspectives since this is what the OP is about. If you disagree with my opinion, please share!

• Like 1

The "free" option was essential for them to build a large user base.  Notion and most SAS programs do the same thing to some degree.

The problems they are having now have to do with their roll out of the new code base and the lack of communication.