Shared With Me Menu Items

• Evernote Expert

Whilst trying to resolve a separate issue I discovered that Evernote 10 was displaying a couple of items in the Shared With Me window accessed from the left hand black menu column.

These seem to be left over items from earlier Work Chats. One relates to a notebook shared with me and the other a single note I shared with a colleague.

shared_with.thumb.jpg.3776fb846586e4f4c537b9ec955d34f2.jpg

Clearing out all the old work chats also cleared the Shared With Me in Evernote 6.25

shared_with_625.jpg.141b52356fca9985e8c4b086bc336a4e.jpg

However, these items remain listed in Evernote 10.1.16 I don't even have access to the notebook that was shared with me. If I click that item I just get, correctly, an error message that I don't have any rights to access that notebook. The single note does open even though I have long ago deleted it from my notes.  So I presume it is being recovered from the cloud in some way.

Anyone any idea of how to get rid of these artefacts?  EN 6.25 is nicely clear.

• Level 5*

Another issue for Support I'd suggest - there was (apparently still is) a long history of former shared documents that were impossible to remove.  Maybe in the new architecture they'll be able to kill that more quickly...

• Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...
  • Evernote Expert

I finally got around to posing the question to the support team and get the following response...

The "Shared with Me" view is displaying all notes that were shared with you at any time in the past, regardless of the current state of the share. At the moment, it's a "view" and not a manageable list.

We're in the process of fixing and redesigning sharing, and this view will likely be changed/improved. But the behavior above is the current behavior for the near future.

It seems that providing a historic list of shared items has been the intention but that a revision will, eventually, arrive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees

FWIW, it's not that it's "intended", but more that it's a side-effect of how that data is populated. The data is based on historical share data, rather than the current state. So it is not really clear what is no longer shared/accessible. Not ideal, but it was a quick way to build that view prior to further development that has since occurred.

The team responsible for sharing is going to be ramping up after completing some other important work. You should start seeing some improvements in sharing in the next 6-12 months, hopefully. I'll look into whether this is on the roadmap, but I'm pretty sure it should be.  

• Level 5

Thanks for the Perspective.

In my opinion a pressing problem it that of „orphaned“ notes. I call them orphaned in this situation: They were shared to a user by another person. When this person is erasing the notes without first removing the share, the „virtual twin“ remains in the account of the user who received the share. Currently you can only move them out of sight, but you can’t erase them. Like sending the orphans to an asylum (brrrr - cold 🥶 thinking).

This should be solved !

The user who receives a share should always be able to delete a note shared to him, independently from the state of this note at the source. If he erases a note that still exists, the share should be terminated without touching the note in the source account, or at other accounts that have received the same share. However if the source note is gone, the twin should be deleted (moved to trash, as usual) when the user asks for it.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
13 hours ago, Scott T. said:

FWIW, it's not that it's "intended", but more that it's a side-effect of how that data is populated.  

@Scott T. Maybe worth telling that to the first line support.  Their reply actually said:

I would like to set the right expectation that the Shared with Me section acts as a history of all notes that have been shared with you, regardless if you still have access to them or the owner has stopped sharing those notes.

I think it was fair to infer that this is intentional ;) It has been an issue since v10 was launched so if I have to live with it for another six months then so be it. Just another of the many minor issues that conspire to frustrate... Actually, what @PinkElephant called 'orphaned notes' is all notes.  My daughter and I shared notes relating to a family vacation. We both attempted to unshare but that option didn't exist in the Android app which were using on while away so our only options were to delete the notes first. But they remain in the Shared with Me list just cluttering the place. It should be possible to remove this history...

• Ex Employees

@agsteeleI agree that you should be able to clear out items from the history. I think that will either be possible or not necessary once we update the backend for Shared With Me. Without getting into details, the existing view is basically pulled from your WorkChat data since that has historically been how shares were managed. We've since created a new system that stores your share data and can be directly queried, whereas the existing share data is really hard to aggregate. So now, we basically need to shift the Shared With Me implementation to use the new backend. We're currently reviewing our large backlog of sharing tickets and hoping to start working through them.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@agsteele Now this is a difficult task: Either I show you a trick on Android, even when I don't use it at all, or I prove iOS to be superior. Either way, I'm afraid I'm doomed 👹

But anyhow: If you shared something with another person, go to the note, or to the notebook, and click on the (now green) sharing button at the top. Now behind the persons ID there is a green text, showing the status of this person in relation to that share (read only, for example). Tap on this green text.

A submenu opens, and the last option is to remove the share.

• Thanks 1