Bring Back the Alphabet Bar!!!!

Roy Breiling

Idea

You did it again. You took away the alphabet bar in the file name area. Now it takes a lot more time to find a specific note. Even when I do I search, the results are not in alphabetical order. What gives! Makes using Evernote very hard! It took over 8 months to get it back the last time!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Roy Breiling said:

You did it again. You took away the alphabet bar in the file name area. Now it takes a lot more time to find a specific note. Even when I do I search, the results are not in alphabetical order. What gives! Makes using Evernote very hard! It took over 8 months to get it back the last time!!!

Can you say a little more? I'm not familiar with "the alphabet bar in the file name area." :blush:

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Can you say a little more? I'm not familiar with "the alphabet bar in the file name area." :blush:

Since the very early days of Evernote, there was always an alphabet bar on the right side when sorting by title. Then a couple of years ago they took it away with one of their updates. I worked with others to encourage them to bring it back, so because of pressure from users they finally brought it back. It took over 8 months for that to happen. Now they have taken it away again. Without the alphabet bar in a notebook it takes longer to find the particular note you are looking for. Even if you try to do a search, the search results are not in alphabetical order and should have an alphabet bar also.

On 10/8/2020 at 11:32 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

if you sort by title then you‘ll see the bar on the right hand side of the screen - nice feature to quickly jump through the list by tapping the letters.

0DA7B6BF-9142-4292-B9C5-E48B79ADD001.jpeg

• Level 5
19 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

if you sort by title then you‘ll see the bar on the right hand side of the screen - nice feature to quickly jump through the list by tapping the letters.

0DA7B6BF-9142-4292-B9C5-E48B79ADD001.jpeg

Thank you. I accidentally wandered into the iOS forum, and have been very puzzled trying to find this in Windows or Android. My bad.

To vote support, click on the upward pointing arrow at the top.

I have Notebooks with a lot of notes.  Sometimes I want to add extra information to a note, some times I want to see if I have a note on a topic at all.  

The old version on iPad used to have a Quick Alpha picker on the side so you could quickly go to notes starting with a particular letter of the alphabet.  This facility is no longer available so now I have to SCROLL THROUGH hundreds of notes to get to the part of the alphabet I think the note is in.  This is VERY TIME CONSUMING AND NOT VERY PRODUCTIVE.

To further compound this problem the iPad version is far too sensitive.  If you slightly go off centre as you scroll a long list of notes, you find yourself back at the "home" screen - the first screen I see when I go into Evernote on my iPad.  I then have to start the whole process all over again.  VERY UNPRODUCTIVE FOR A TOOL THAT IS SUPPOSED TO IMPROVE PRODUCTIVITY!

You might suggest I use the "Search" function ...... that is so PAINFUL I avoid at all costs.  It seems that Evernote just returns results with any word in my search field.  So, instead of narrowing my notes down so I can find the one I am looking for, I am presented with a huge list of notes just because it contains ONE OF THE WORDS in my search criteria. Again A WASTE OF MY TIME and certainly VERY UNPRODUCTIVE.

I am going to research an alternative to Evernote because I am beyond frustrated with the new version - both on my MacBook Pro and my iPad.  I used to love this tool, now I almost HATE IT!!