Scannable + Evernote image capture issues

Hi, I am running Evernote Scannable v2.4 (1529) and Evernote iOS v10.0.2.

Trying to use either to capture any documents on my iPad Pro (IOS v14.2) is just awful.

The image on screen keeps freezing and getting it to take a picture of the document takes forever. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

I've tried removing the application and re-installing etc, made no difference at all.

Thanks in advance

• Level 5*

I moved this to the Scannable forum
You might want to post a separate issue report for scanning with the Evernote app

I'm not experiencing issues with either process    
I prefer Scannable and the pdf generation

• Level 5

IPad Pro 10.5, iOS 14.0.1 (This is the last official release, iOS 14.2 is still a beta), EN 10.0.2

Scanning with the internal EN Scanner: Picked „scan document“ from the menu build into the „new note“ button. It works, but somehow clumsy. After the scan is taken, it takes several seconds until the new note is created and the scan shows. The scan itself is o.k.

It went a little smoother when I first created the new note, gave it a title, went to the notes body and then picked the camera from the blue + symbol.

Scanning with Scannable: It scans, the scan is taken, there are options, I choose save and then Evernote. It saves, creates a new note. It takes a little (but faster than from the internal scanner), the note is created and the picture is there. Tried it with pdf and with jpg as content. Jpg is a little faster than with pdf, and it shows inline.

Both are not my scanners of choice. I use SannerPro to scan from my iPhone. 

If I would have to scan using ENs capabilities, I used to prefer the internal scanner. From my test now I would prefer Scannable, because it was faster, and it allowed to define pdf as file type, instead of a sequence of jpgs. And it was faster and felt more solid than the internal scanner.

To solve the issue reported by the thread owner, I would first say „get a release OS instead of the iOS beta you are running“. With running a beta, it is difficult to find out what is going on. Even with release software, scanning with the EN tools was not the smooth workflow I like from my 3rd party scanner.

Scanning documents with v10.0.# in IOS 14  doesnˋt work as good in my case as before neither.

• If I take a series of pictures the new automatic scanning sometimes works to fast and takes lots of pictures before I can adjust the ipad after turning pages for scanning more than one page
  • as already mentioned somewhere else it isn‘t anymore possible to adjust the size of taken scans in another way than rectangle
  • If I take more than just a very few number of pictures editing and resizing of single pictures in the queue before saving happens to be impossible. Opened for editing some pictures will only be shown as black and blank, only with the rectangle for resizing. In other cases I get another picture displayed than chosen and if saved the chosen scan will be changed against the wrong picture (coming of the clipboard?)
  • after saving it doesn‘t only take a rather long while until the pictures are uploaded or to see on the display. Sometimes even not  all of the taken scans will show up.

So there is still some work to do before scanning documents to evernote with the internal scanner with ipad is as good as bedore.

(Scanning documents with the Ipad and with the internal scanner of the EN app used to be so strong that I built some of my workflows around this feature...)

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

I never liked the iPad for scanning. The device just does not fit, and if it casts a shadow, it is a large shadow.

What I really like is my ScannerPro on my iPhone. It allows to pick the 2x-camera of my iPhone 11 Pro Max, which doubles the distance to the document. This eliminates all shadows cast by the very device used for the scanning.

Furthermore I have predefined workflows in ScannerPro that I can select through the share function. I have my most used scanning jobs into EN here, complete with the target notebook and a set of standard tags for nearly 10 scanning types, like receipts, recipes, general documents etc. This is far better than both options offered by EN.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I never liked the iPad for scanning. The device just does not fit, and if it casts a shadow, it is a large shadow.

What I really like is my ScannerPro on my iPhone. It allows to pick the 2x-camera of my iPhone 11 Pro Max, which doubles the distance to the document. This eliminates all shadows cast by the very device used for the scanning.

Furthermore I have predefined workflows in ScannerPro that I can select through the share function. I have my most used scanning jobs into EN here, complete with the target notebook and a set of standard tags for nearly 10 scanning types, like receipts, recipes, general documents etc. This is far better than both options offered by EN.

o.k. - that in fact is far better for recurring jobs, I will check ScannerPro.

But except from that the internal scanner app of EN used to be good enough for simple workflows, especially without needs for tagging or long time storing. While the past Corona-time with home office and home scoring this was pretty good just to collect some fast scans mobile to evernote then to change to desktop and convert to plain text (with ABBYY Screenshot reader), may be do some formating and then to do the final work very for job, for school, for teaching oder coaching very fast with the free to use resulting text or vocabs ...

Scannable won’t let me save from my iPhone!  I scan, I then click “Share” and select “Save to Files”, navigate to my desired directory via a cloud client, elect to change the file name and.... no means to save the damned file!!!! Been using this app for some time now, until now.  Who hasn’t tested their work????  Fix it pleas

EB171786-5BCA-4446-AB29-6DCDBCD7D3FA.png

18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks. May I ask which Scanner Pro? I've found two on Appstore:
Scanner Pro: PDFscsanner app, £3.99, by Readdle and
Scanner Pro: PDF document Scan, free app, by iScanner

• Level 5

The readdle app. In fact I use some of their stuff: ScannerPro, PDF editor, Spark, Documents, Printer Pro, PDF Creator.

The apps are stable, customer support is friendly, updates are frequent & usually free of bugs. Some work on the Mac as well, more expensive but still good value for the money.

I currently am using an Android Note 10+ so Scanner Pro not an option.

I loved Scannable as it created new notes in Evernote so easily, used it to scan all my bills and stuff in so easily. Maybe Scanner Pro would work in the iPad?

I may switch to iPhone when the new one is announced, waiting to see if they make the ridiculous notch smaller first.

• Level 5

ScannerPro works on all iOS devices.

The „ridiculous“ notch is related to have the safest face recognition in the market. There are plenty of tests where practically all Android phones could be tricked open - only the Apple devices resisted, because they use an array of different scanners. It seems to be pretty hard to make a mock up to mislead them all. The side effect is that these sensors need space to be arranged, which leads to the wider notch.

For me the most important aspect is that my devices are un-googled as good as I could manage to do. It is not possible to un-google any Android device - you need an account to use it, and you are „in“. Apple is not using user data for anything I would negatively notice (as ad spam just because I searched for a word), and does not share my data with others. Google (as Facebook) is living of the data it grabs from its users and sells to others. This is nothing I am willing to support. 

• 4 months later...

I am in the free try out period for Evernote. I want to have Evernote premium because I want to scan handwritten notes through scannable and save it in my notebooks. However this is not possible, I can scan it on my Iphone, save it and the message says it is saved in Evernote but I cannot see it anywhere.

I can sent it to evernote e-mail, and then go to evernote and try to save it in a notition, but also that fails... I have to save it as a photo and then got to photo''s and attach it. That is so much work? I don't understand why you cannot save this from scannable into you notebook. I can add the labels etc. but it is nowhere. I don't know if this is a bug, I see this is the same since 2016? 

I do not see there is a solution yet? Or is there and did I miss something?

I too am having scanning issues with new IPad Pro (2nd generation), IOS 14.3, Scannable 2.4.  App worked perfectly with IPad Pro (1st generation).  With new IPad Pro scans freeze constantly, very frustrating.  I have deleted and reinstalled but no help.  Any advice?

• Level 5

To scan with Scannable into EN, my workflow is this:

1. Open the app (opens in camera mode), do the scan
  2. Click on the scan, if needed switch document type and between picture and pdf, click on save
  3. Select "Evernote" as target, on the following page you can select the notebook. Click save again

It shows up in my EN client a few seconds later. I am running legacy on my Mac.

Scannable must be logged into your EN account - if it doesn't show up there, make sure you do not have a typo in the login data, that sends it to another account. It must show up in the list of authorized apps in the security section of your account information. If in step 3 you can see your notebooks, it should be linked o.k.

About OCR capability: When the note is loaded to the server and it contains a picture or pdf, it is placed on a queue. This takes it to the OCR bot, which sometimes takes only a few minutes, in other cases several hours. This depends on the server workload. The OCR result is embedded into the note, but not into the document itself. It is available for search within of EN - it is not available externaly if you export the document or picture.

Personally I use GoodNotes 5 for handwritten note taking. Here the OCR is performed by the app (not on the server), and the result is embedded into the note itself. When I export it as a pdf, the invisible search information goes with it. Thus I can search for example with my Macs Spotlight feature as well. It is not OCR in the meaning of extracting the text - it makes the handwriting searchable. There is a hand-to-text conversion tool in GN5 as well, but it must be applied separately.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:20 PM, PinkElephant said:

The readdle app. In fact I use some of their stuff: ScannerPro, PDF editor, Spark, Documents, Printer Pro, PDF Creator.

The apps are stable, customer support is friendly, updates are frequent & usually free of bugs. Some work on the Mac as well, more expensive but still good value for the money.

Thanks PinkElephant, good advice.

Quick feedback (a little late admittedly!): I'm now a fan of ScannerPro, using it for all my scanning - to Evernote and email (Outlook for work) from my iPhone. The interface to Evernote is seamless and it's a big improvement on my previous experiences (mostly trying to use the Evernote scan options). 

Favourite thing in ScannerPro: being able to scan at x2 zoom, which helps to eliminate shadow cast by the phone and results in a really clear scan almost every time.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

ScannerPro is my scanning app of choice as well.

In fact I only reinstalled Scannable a few weeks ago to be able to test some stuff that came up here in the forum. IMHO Scannable is still a weak scanner, and the integration with EN is amazingly clunky and incomplete, compared to ScannerPros workflow abilities. If I scan directly into EN, I usually use the build in scanner to snap an image or two now.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...