How to access web links in HTML content forwarded in from email

I forwarded an email into Evernote that has a hyperlink out to the web in it that I want to access. I can’t figure out how to access it.

When I click on the link, Evernote acts like I’m trying to edit the note (vs launch the link in a safari browser window).

I recorded what it’s doing (attached). In the video, I’m tapping/touching the hyperlink behind the word “article” which is what is triggering the behavior.

Don’t know if it is user error or a bug. Can you please advise?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Stacey said:

I forwarded an email into Evernote that has a hyperlink out to the web in it that I want to access. I can’t figure out how to access it.
When I click on the link, Evernote acts like I’m trying to edit the note (vs launch the link in a safari browser window).

@Stacey   Were you in note-edit mode?   
I have no problem accessing hyperlinks in note-view mode
An internal browser window is opened, with the option to switch to Safari

14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

@Stacey   Were you in note edit mode?   

@DTLow Nope. My experience is that when I'm in view mode, tapping the link moves me into edit mode, which isn't what I want. I want the link to launch safari. 

Can you tell me more about what you mean that an "internal browser window is opened, with the option to switch to Safari"? Are you saying that when you touch the link on the screen, you're getting an internal pop-up that let's you navigate to Safari? If so, I'm not seeing that so wonder what's different. I'm on iOS 14 on an iPhone X.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Stacey said:

Can you tell me more about what you mean that an "internal browser window is opened, with the option to switch to Safari"? Are you saying that when you touch the link on the screen, you're getting an internal pop-up that let's you navigate to Safari?

Here's my note in view mode                           Clicking the link opens this internal browser window
                                                                              Clicking the Safari icon in the upper right corner launches Safari

IMG_3741.thumb.jpeg.47bc10dbf39326bb00c2368a391a764c.jpegIMG_3738.thumb.png.a1d1ec72c47ad43cadc23a887f5b71a5.png

Ah! That's helpful in narrowing down the issue. If the URL is not in a "HTML Content" container, it works as expected (as in your example). But, if the URL is in an HTML Content box, then tapping it launches edit mode. And, when I forward in emails, or clip (share) from the web, Evernote is often putting it in HTML content blocks (probably based on the source content). So, that helps to narrow down the issue. Thx.

I also have this problem on iOS.

Mac App (regular MAS version) and Chrome web clipper work fine.

I am also having other problems with HTML content box. Cannot access source, or the link is broken, or the box is just broken from the start.

It's clearly inconsistent here whenever HTML box is on duty.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:58 PM, Stacey said:

@DTLow Nope. My experience is that when I'm in view mode, tapping the link moves me into edit mode, which isn't what I want. I want the link to launch safari. 

Can you tell me more about what you mean that an "internal browser window is opened, with the option to switch to Safari"? Are you saying that when you touch the link on the screen, you're getting an internal pop-up that let's you navigate to Safari? If so, I'm not seeing that so wonder what's different. I'm on iOS 14 on an iPhone X.

@Staceyhave you switched off the „edit mode on tap on a note?“ I‘ve to tap on the edit button to enter edit mode - maybe this helps to avoid edit mode when tapping on the link...

1 hour ago, stocky2605 said:

@Staceyhave you switched off the „edit mode on tap on a note?“ I‘ve to tap on the edit button to enter edit mode - maybe this helps to avoid edit mode when tapping on the link...

Wow...that did the trick @stocky2605! Thank you!  The HTML container links open with a touch of the screen if edit protection is turned on in the settings.

So, now that I understand that, my question is – is this the intended behavior of HTML content blocks, or a bug? Seems to me that with edit protection turned off, the links should still work vs trigger editing of the note. But, maybe that is not possible?