Inability to access audio notes, iOS 10 version

Go to solution Solved by NRosser,

Noticed (among a few other bugs) that existing notes which have an audio note embedded in them, that I cannot access/cannot listen to that audio note in the 10.0 version of the iOS client, both iPhone and iPad. 'Selecting' the note does nothing. Nothing happens. The audio note is effectively rendered....dare I say it....mute. And moot.

Happy to test or do anything else - thanks.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, NRosser said:

Selecting' the note does nothing. Nothing happens.

My sample is an audio note created on a Mac    
This is what I see in IOS    
The play button is functional2E6131BB-16EE-414D-B357-1F12BE4EADF7.jpeg.d5c4d2637f65a9c539e7bda164631538.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, NRosser said:

Noticed (among a few other bugs) that existing notes which have an audio note embedded in them, that I cannot access/cannot listen to that audio note in the 10.0 version of the iOS client, both iPhone and iPad. 'Selecting' the note does nothing. Nothing happens.

Seems to be working ok on my phone.

• Like 1

ok I'll describe the entire scenario, start to finish.

The specific note(s) is (were) created a couple of months ago. The audio file in the note was created from WITHIN the Evernote app (it was actually a doctor's appointment, and the audio was his directions to me, following a surgery). So - one note, in this case, with 2-3 separate audio files created via the EN app, not yet V10.

I was able to listen to the audio file with no problem, prior to V10. The file type is an .m4a extension. If I click/select the file name, the app thinks I'm simply selecting text, as if I were editing the note. No way to listen to the file. Same behavior on both iPad and iPhone clients. Not sure what else I can offer, but I'm happy to share in any way. Thanks.

One other follow up - I see that these notes in question contain HTML content (as indicated by some type of bordering at the top of the note). These audio files are within the confines of that stated HTML content (I think I started the note by pasting in some web content, to start with). So - I suppose the point is that audio files, if contained inside HTML content of the entire note, aren't 'launchable', for lack of a better term.

I know I could do the 'Simplify Formatting' function, but.....that might mess up other aspects of the note. Guess I'll try that and see what happens.....

• Solution

So - yes, once I simplify the formatting, the audio file within the note is 'selectable' and will play.

Probably something worth looking into - is there enough need for audio notes within the construct of some other HTML content, to warrant the code work needed to support that functionality - ? Likely just an edge case, is what I'd say.

But there you go - can close this one out.

• Thanks 1

Audio playback is working for me on 10.0, only the quality is downgraded to mono and poorly compressed. There used to be a high quality option in settings, but that's now gone.

If I edit the note and "share" the audio to a different iOS app, then playback is fine. So it looks like the original file is downloaded, but Evernote 10 is messing up the playback.