Search not working

equanimity

Idea

This is on both the iphone app and a Firefox browser running under Windows 10. A simple text search is not returning the document it's in. I saw something about re-indexing, but I can't figure out how to do that on both devices. I'm not sure that's the problem, but it could be a place to start.

6 replies to this idea

I don't think I can do that. What information are you wanting to see?

I did some further testing...

• I have four Notebooks; 1 is shared and 3 are private. The note I wanted to find is in the shared notebook.
  • If I "search in all notes" the note I want is not found. A note from one of the private notebooks is found, so the search is working, but incompletely.
  • If I "search in shared" i.e., the shared notebook, the search results do contain the note I wanted.

'Search in all notes' should search the notes in the shared notebook, right?

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, equanimity said:

This is on both the iphone app and a Firefox browser running under Windows 10. A simple text search is not returning the document it's in. I saw something about re-indexing, but I can't figure out how to do that on both devices. I'm not sure that's the problem, but it could be a place to start.

There is a lag from when a note is created until it is indexed on the server  If the note you were seeking was a fairly new note give it a bit of time, 15-30 minutes.  If not a new note verify the search string.  You can only re-index a data base if you are using a desktop client.

The note is well over 15-30 minutes old. Search string verified, see my note in previous post about additional testing and results.

If both the phone and desktop app use the same database on Evernote servers, than wouldn't re-indexing via desktop client work?

• Level 5

Search in shared notebooks only finds content when the notebook is selected - that is a known issue in the iOS client. When „all notes“ are selected, a string is found in all own notebooks, but not in shared ones.

There is another thread in the forum where we have discussed this. You can find the details here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/126234-search-from-ios-and-web-does-not-return-items-in-shared-notebooks/?tab=comments#

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, equanimity said:

The note is well over 15-30 minutes old. Search string verified, see my note in previous post about additional testing and results.

If both the phone and desktop app use the same database on Evernote servers, than wouldn't re-indexing via desktop client work?

Got me then.

If you use a desktop app, not the browser, a data base is created on the desktop machine.  You can re-index that data base but that has no impact on the server data base.  Notes sync between server and desktop but indexes do not.