Is anyone having issues with the web clipper in Safari? Often times when I try and use it I get a black box that pops up saying "Loading Web Clipper..." and nothing else happens. There was an update to the web clipper (via Mac App Store) the other day. This issue has happened prior to and after the update.

I also have issues with the Safari version 7.12.7 of Web Clipper -- it disables the arrow keys on both of my keyboards for use in Lumosity after 2-3 arrow key presses. Lumosity has highlighted that it is an issue as follows with Chrome web Clipper -- but I also have it in Safari.

"What should I do if the games do not respond to the arrow keys or keyboard?

If the games are not responding to your keyboard, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try.

Do you have an extension called Evernote Web Clipper installed on Chrome? Recently this extension has been preventing games from responding to the keyboard on Lumosity and other websites. You can just disable the extension while using Lumosity to solve the problem."

This only started happening after the latest update == so I have disabled it for the time being.

Since "upgrading" to OS X 10.15.6 I have similar problems with Safari.  (MacBook Pro, Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014).  Other browsers work fine, with caveats, see below.

Catalina upgrades are likely to affect Safari because it is a core conduit for the eventual integration across all Apple operating systems.  

Apple's O/S software testing has been poor since the introduction of Catalina.  They don't do a great job of keeping software partners up-to-date on changes that affect them, e.g. Evernote.  As of 2020-06-21 Web Clipper prevents this error message after failing to upload from Safari.

Clipper has encountered an error
Unknown error occurred.

EDAM/ENML_VALIDATION

Element type "embed" must be declared.

Copy Logs

Apple currently uses customers and software partners as beta testers (not just my opinion.)  

Google Chrome is based on an open source code project called Chromium.  This platform is used by Microsoft Edge, Opera, Vivaldi and other, popular browsers.  The Chromium engine features a "Renderer" applet for each connection between a browser plugin and an external server.  If you use Evernote and have seven tabs open, you will have (at least) seven Renderer applets.  They consume tons of memory, and make enough heat to turn on your fan.  The link below has more info.

https://medium.com/@evasamsonoff/stop-google-chrome-helper-from-eating-your-cpu-in-2019-the-fast-way-91fb68a538c2

Safari and Firefox use their own code.  Firefox supports Evernote (and Zotero).  That's where I've gone for research projects, until Safari is back online.  

• Like 1

Web clipping continues to work fine on Safari on my iMac (hopefully that doesn't jinx it!).  However, it no longer works at all on my iPad version of Safari.  This is a major problem with my workflow.  I do a lot of research on the internet from my iPad, which I treat as a mini-computer.  One could possible blame Apple for this... but I don't have the time.  I am looking for other options to work with my iMac and iPad.  Maybe OneNote?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Probably there was some update issue.

When I had that error message as well a few days ago, I uninstalled the app Evernote WebClipper from the App folder. Safari needs to be closed for that, and I used AppCleaner to really catch all WC-files. 3 were not checked for the uninstall, and I made sure they go as well.

Then I reinstalled (only possibility is the AppStore version). I am now on Version 7.12.7.40 - 1.0.7 (40), EN client Version 7.14 (458244 Direkt), Catalina 10.15.6.

My WebClipper is back to normal !

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, having a similar problem, except web clipping works fine for me, I only get this "

EDAM/ENML_VALIDATION

" error when trying to clip a PDF.

even after uninstall, delete extraneous files, reinstall Web Clipper. I'm running Safari 14.0.  Any of the Evernote folks ever respond in the forums?

On 9/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, msteele said:

Yep, having a similar problem, except web clipping works fine for me, I only get this "

EDAM/ENML_VALIDATION

even after uninstall, delete extraneous files, reinstall Web Clipper. I'm running Safari 14.0.  Any of the Evernote folks ever respond in the forums?

I'm having the exact same problem with pdf clipping on Safari 14, returning the error:

Clipper has encountered an error
Unknown error occurred.
EDAM/ENML_VALIDATION

It also offered a link/button to copy the logs, which are:

Evernote Web Clipper 7.12.7.40 - 1.0.7 (40) Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/14.0 Safari/605.1.15 Topee/1.5.0
Clipper core: 1.5.0-702a62a
Locale: en
12542827 experiments status:
{
 "SaveButtonPos_CLIPPER-1768": null,
 "ClipTypeOrder_CLIPPER-1992": null
}

2020\9\29 16:01:26 DBG: Analytics:  Simsearch feature_info feature_info_shown  Object:{} 
2020\9\29 16:02:54 DBG: Analytics:  Simsearch feature_info feature_info_shown  Object:{} 
2020\9\29 16:07:27 DBG: Analytics:  Simsearch feature_info feature_info_shown  Object:{} 
2020\9\29 16:09:08 DBG: Analytics:  Simsearch feature_info feature_info_shown  Object:{} 
2020\9\29 16:32:43 ERR: Unhandled error at :0 Script error. 
2020\9\29 16:57:56 DBG: Analytics:  Simsearch feature_info feature_info_shown  Object:{} 
2020\9\29 17:12:34 DBG: Analytics:  Simsearch feature_info feature_info_shown  Object:{} 
2020\9\29 17:12:43 DBG: Analytics:  Simsearch feature_info feature_info_shown  Object:{} 
2020\9\29 17:24:46 DBG: Analytics:  Simsearch feature_info feature_info_shown  Object:{} 

Just to be clear, this doesn't happen on every pdf in Safari—just some. Example here:

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/ebiom/PIIS2352-3964(17)30164-0.pdf

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on here?

Thanks!

William

On 9/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, msteele said:

EDAM/ENML_VALIDATION

Same here - have installed/reinstalled web clipper for Safari, and still the same issues when trying to clip PDFS

This happens on Safari, but not Chrome. Annoying as hell. The error comes from trying to create a new note and validating it; it appears that Safari PDF content is wrapped in an Embed element, and Chrome isn't. What bothers me is HOW LONG Evernote has taken to respond to this.