Confirm or be able to undo deletion of tags!

dsm42

Idea

I believe organization of notes by tag is one of the most important features of Evernote.  

But if you select a tag, and then hover the mouse over a note that you want to delete, and press the delete key, the entire tag disappears, and the organization of potentially hundreds of notes is apparently lost forever!!!   

I've searched and haven't found a way to recover from this.   Especially if changes are instantly sync'ed to other platforms (which is generally an extremely useful feature), and if the tag assignments are changing so frequently such that a backup from hours ago wouldn't help...

This has happened multiple times to me now, and I know of no way to protect against it other than to never delete a note!   And it makes using Evernote a much less productive and enjoyable experience...

Is there any chance that either:

1)There be a confirmation dialog if trying to delete a tag that multiple notes are assigned to

2) There be a way to undo or recover from the deletion of a tag

Thanks for any consideration of this,

Dave.

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you are selecting a tag from the left panel to see a list of notes,  then just 'hovering over' a note to delete it,  you in fact,  (and as you already know) still have that tag selected,  which is why it goes away. 

You need to select the note you wish to delete before doing so.  Agreed there is no coming back from an account-wide tag deletion - there's no 'trash' notebook for tags,  and no easy way (AFAIK) to step back...  but in a similar situation I'd be inclined to try Ctrl-Z (undo) frantically / and -if that didn't work- kill my network connection,  rename my database and recreate the whole thing from the (hopefully unaltered) server copy.  Backups are good,  too.

I'd suggest also that you select notes by searches saved as shortcuts rather than using the left panel.  That's my normal habit,  and I genuinely haven't lost a tag I didn't mean to delete in 10 years.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Agreed there is no coming back from an account-wide tag deletion - there's no 'trash' notebook for tags,  and no easy way (AFAIK) to step back.

Said with Young Frankenstein level drama - "Oh but only if tags were actually data and Updated time was adjusted for tag changes" ....  but he doth wish for too much.  🙁

Sorry for the digression, but this is a pet peeve of mine having on more than one occasion had a DAA with a tag or two.  And one of the sillier esoteric arguments in which  I have ever participated, are tags data or not In the EN world.

I'm EXTREMELY distressed. By accident I deleted a tag but had the presence of mind to disconnect the computer before it could sync. I opened another computer where Evernote still existed with the tag and all its articles. I renamed the tag and sync fully expecting that this would restore the situation only to see the new tag and all the articles with it disappear in front of my eyes.

This is EXTREMELY distressing, in fact I count this as by far the worst consumer experience with any product or service in my whole life, the articles in the tag contained very important information gathered over at least a decade.

• Level 5

Your mistake - if you describe it correctly what you did - was to rename the existing tag.

A tag has an internal identifier, that won’t change when you change its name. It is still the same tag. The moment you sync it is removed  - remember, you deleted it yourself !

If in such a situation the way to proceed is to search for all notes that carry the „bad“tag. Then create a new tag, and apply it to the selection. A new tag will not suffer.

Why the notes disappeared I can’t tell. You created a sync conflict on the tag, but this shouldn’t influence the notes.

Have you checked the trash already ? Everything deleted is moved to the trash. Unless the trash is emptied or a note selectively deleted from it, every trashed content can be restored.

Have you already tried ?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Hans101 said:

I'm EXTREMELY distressed. By accident I deleted a tag but had the presence of mind to disconnect the computer before it could sync. I opened another computer where Evernote still existed with the tag and all its articles. I renamed the tag and sync fully expecting that this would restore the situation only to see the new tag and all the articles with it disappear in front of my eyes.

This is EXTREMELY distressing, in fact I count this as by far the worst consumer experience with any product or service in my whole life, the articles in the tag contained very important information gathered over at least a decade.

One of the issues with old Evernote was that accidentally deleting a tag would not update the Updated date.  If this was remedied in new Evernote try a modified date search (updated:yyyymmdd), around the time that you had the issue.  Hopefully you will find your notes, sans the new or old tag..

• Like 1