Selecting and deleting text

Hi, so when I selected more than ~15 characters length of text and delete it, more than what I selected gets deleted (although it seems to sporadically work fine for much longer selections).

As the images attached show, I select "notion of rights, " and when I press delete, "notion of rights, being of an object" gets deleted.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Screenshot_20200426-005645.png

Screenshot_20200426-005651.png

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/22/2022 at 11:54 PM, WhyEverynote said:

I have exactly the same problem 

2 years later on a completely different application...

Can we start over with Device / OS / Evernote version and a complete description of the issue you're experiencing please?

• Level 5

It is obviously the Android mobile client, and from the time stamp of the initial posting I can tell this for sure:

Either it is a bug in the old version 8, because in April 2020 the new version 10 was yet some months from being released. Then it probably was never fixed, because the new version launched in October 2020, and nobody fixed anything between April and October 2020. And nobody will ever fix it. So one may have „exactly the same problem“, and will have to live with it.

Or who says „I have exactly the same problem“, but being on version 10, does not have „exactly the same problem“, and should start a new thread, beginning with exactly describing the problem he has, and telling which OS, device and EN version he is using.

• 6 months later...

I'm using 10.50.4 on a Huawei (🤢) P30 Pro, EMUI 11.0.0 (Android 10).

I've been having this problem for a long time. As soon as I can make the time to find another tool and formulate a migration strategy, I'll be outta here—EN is clearly behind the times and never inclined to fix anything I care about. (Don't get me started on that warning page that comes up when I click one of my own links on the web version!)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, OwenG said:

EN is clearly behind the times and never inclined to fix anything I care about.

You haven't given any details of why Evernote is behind the times on this two-year-old contract,  or what you consider needs to be fixed,  so it's difficult to make any comment.  

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

You haven't given any details of why Evernote is behind the times on this two-year-old contract,  or what you consider needs to be fixed,  so it's difficult to make any comment.  

😕Beg pardon? What "contract"?

As for what I consider needs to be fixed, orbitofrontalcortex described it perfectly well above. So just like WhyEverynote, I'm chiming in that I have the same trouble. If you must hear it again for some reason, here's a description of the trouble I have:

As is a common operation when editing text, I often select some stuff, and then hit delete. It's nice if doing that results in deleting just what's selected, but EN goes above and beyond and deletes a few more characters after the end of the selection. Sometimes this happens too when I just start typing (not explicitly hitting delete) but fortunately it seems that that is not happening today. 🤷‍♂️

So, two examples, using some Wikipedia text. Say I have this selection:

image.thumb.png.9a775496bd1303093690b3d7858b18e0.png

If I hit the delete (backspace) button, I end up with this:

image.thumb.png.8bc56c3ba6ae613a07a7643c10c5c16a.png

See how " Chin" wasn't selected, but now it's gone? That's the problem.

Let's try again with a different selection:

image.thumb.png.9ce0ab5ccc0189d4915f1b39be47d48f.png

Again, I hit the delete button at this point, and I get:

image.thumb.png.a56c59e6a3e99ce72903b99629ba8875.png

Similarly to before, some stuff that wasn't selected is now gone, in this case the " in 1".

There you have it.

Side gripe: 'Tis rather insulting to be a paying user of an app and to need my posts approved by a moderator.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, OwenG said:

What "contract"?

Fair point - I'm not sure myself what I was going for except a quick response.  I actually meant the 2-year old Evernote app which was been (and still is being) modernised and rewritten in the last few years.

12 hours ago, OwenG said:

Side gripe: 'Tis rather insulting to be a paying user of an app and to need my posts approved by a moderator.

I'm not 'approving' anything - though I have been known to nuke the odd abusive post.  What you type here (in accordance with the Forum Code,  which boils down to 'don't be an donkey') is what everyone sees as soon as you post it.  (Caveat: there is a Forum Nanny that occasionally asterisks rude words,  even when they aren't meant that way.  I didn't say "Ass" there forinstance...) EDIT (and got away with it!!)

On 5/17/2023 at 2:48 AM, OwenG said:

never inclined to fix anything I care about

As a subscriber,  you have the option to report issues to Support who at the very least will raise them with the developers so they can - at some future stage - look into possibly doing something about it.  It's not immediate though - changes may have to be phased in when the team next work on a specific feature like mobile editing.  What did Support say when you last reported this erratic clipping?

-I tend to work on a desktop and a 12" tablet,  so with rather more screen real-estate than the clips seem to show,  but I've never had any problems with unselected words being deleted.  I'd guess that it may have something to do with unseen layout codes being included with the visible text,  but I can't imagine how that could be gotten around without simply using plain text notes.

Anyhoo:  if Support can't offer any suggestions,  and you can find a better and more responsive note-taking option it obviously makes sense to go there.  Best of luck in either case.

• Evernote Expert

I have a very vague recollection of seeing this issue or something very similar which turned out to be a soft keyboard issue. I cannot say which keyboard you are using but you could temporarily install one of the many alternatives and see if that resolves the issue. If that turns out to be a solution you'll have the option to make that change permanent or at least as to knowledge in Evernote support about the problem.

In particular there are several glitches with Google's Gboard most of which are annoying but not critical. Could this be another?

@gazumped, thank you for the thoughtful responses above, and apologies for my prior curtness; I appreciate you successfully de-escalating. :blush:

11 hours ago, gazumped said:

What did Support say when you last reported this erratic clipping?

Well, embarrassing thing is on examination, I don't think I ever reported this officially. Finding other people discussing it on forums gave me the impression they'd likely reported it already. Submitting now….

10 hours ago, agsteele said:

I have a very vague recollection of seeing this issue or something very similar which turned out to be a soft keyboard issue. I cannot say which keyboard you are using but you could temporarily install one of the many alternatives and see if that resolves the issue. If that turns out to be a solution you'll have the option to make that change permanent or at least as to knowledge in Evernote support about the problem.

In particular there are several glitches with Google's Gboard most of which are annoying but not critical. Could this be another?

Thanks for the thought, and I suspected for a moment you might be right! I'm on the Gboard, but switching over to MS Swiftkey didn't fix the issue—did change it slightly, to being a different number of extra characters deleted, and changed it so even the "type to replace selection" approach also deleted some characters. 🤷‍♂️ Also, using the Gboard in other apps (Gmail for instance) doesn't exhibit the problem. 

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert

The Gboard issues are connected to working with Evernote. Switching keyboard, as you have tried, generally resolves the issue although other keyboards may not offer the function.

Thanks for reporting it. Sadly, I think it unlikely that a fix will arrive anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been 3 years and nobody cares to address this serious bug?

Just quickly checked how many downloads has GBoard - it's 5billion! (Swiftkey has 1billion) Clearly this keyboard is VERY popular. I am using it as well and suffer from this bug. I wonder what system does Evernote team use to assign priority to things, but if fixing this is not a priority, then what is?

How many people can be using Evernote and GBoard but they DIDN'T realize right at the moment when it happened that selecting and deleting removes more text? They probably think they are stupid when they read their notes later and stumble upon this, never realizing it's not their fault...

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, McVitas said:

I am using it as well and suffer from this bug.

Hi.  Have you contacted Support on this issue?  Individual reports help the team identify where and how problems arise and help design a fix.  Activity logs can provide valuable information - and the number of reports being received can increase the priority assigned to the fix.  If the company aren't aware of an issue or don't get many queries on it,  they may assume it's mot important.

• Evernote Expert

There are several Gboard functions that don't work inside Evernote. I've not experienced any of them other than when testing. I simply don't enter text using them including this highlight/delete issue.

It is likely that many of the billions of devices that have Gboard are not using it for serious text entry. 

But it is an issue and I'd concur with @gazumped that reporting it is the only way forward. However, by that route lies frustration since it has never gained attention.

My GUESS ... The keyboard code is a plug in module within the Electron framework and JavaScript. Nobody has really grasped that it doesn't work with Gboard.