Not Responding!

DaJoLo

Idea

Evernote (Windows desktop) is often pretty bad when syncing - it frequently locks up with a 'not responding' state. Hasn't been too bad the last few days but this morning I simply cannot work with it! Every time I search for a note it locks up. Done all the usual stuff (cleaning out caches,  restart, checking my broadband connection - no issues) so I guess it's a server issue at EN end.

Any issues we should know about?

17 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Not that I would have noticed something.

Maybe - if nobody else intervenes - it is more an issue on your side. Have you checked whether there may be a sort of security software on your PC interfering with the data transfer ? Anti-virus, anti-random, anti-whatever - they sometimes take a lot of resources away, especially when updated recently.

Then there is the latest Windows update to think about.

Probably a view into the Win process manager can reveal if any program eats up a lot of resources, like CPU or memory.

• Level 5*

No issues that I have seen, performance per normal for me. 

Not optimal, but one of the things that seems to help with EN responsiveness is an SSD drive.  Could be a hardware solution to a software problem but it has worked very well for me.  

• Like 1

Thanks for responding guys. All tips gratefully received and I have already tried some of them ... but mea culpa I should have answered my own post earlier because when I was out during the day I learned that in my part of the UK there has been a network issue affecting the whole region (Wales and the South). In the end the issue was principally to do with a segment of the national network...strange that my speedtest didn't show up any slowdown though) ...

... BUT one reason for writing in the first place, out of frustration, is that I do find EN a bit tardy when it syncs and as I said, I have got used to the 'not responding' message which happens quite often but usually clears after a minute or so. This morning though I couldn't do a thing and just gave up and ran some errands instead.

@pink elephant yes I have various 'whatevers' 🙂 but they don't normally seem to interfere with other apps (and although the recent release of Chrome has proved flaky I picked up some flag changes that fixed that).

@CalS - yes I have SSDs - they are great and a great speed boost (plus they are silent), but again, EN sync is not obviously affected by that part of my computer

One detail: I do find that I get more 'not responding' or simple hangs when I am using the desktop app's search. It also hangs quite a bit if I am editing my tag list. I can only think the app is handshaking a lot and it often isn't very quick. 

Anyway, once again, replies appreciated

• Level 5

OK, network issues can affect things even if a Speedtest does not tell. The speedtest usually is between you and a specific server close to you. If the network traffic is affected centrally, sometimes these local nodes are not affected, and show regular results.

Another idea: The search on the desktop depends on the local search index. This will build over the years.

If you hold down the alt/opt key before opening the apps help menu, there will be additional options showing at the bottom of the regular menu. One of them is rebuilding the search index. If the index has taken a shot in the past, this can help to straighten things out. Maybe give it a try, and enjoy a good cup of coffee while the index is rebuilding. Then close the app, maybe even restart your computer to clean RAM and buffers, and give it another try.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DaJoLo said:

@CalS - yes I have SSDs - they are great and a great speed boost (plus they are silent), but again, EN sync is not obviously affected by that part of my computer

One detail: I do find that I get more 'not responding' or simple hangs when I am using the desktop app's search. It also hangs quite a bit if I am editing my tag list. I can only think the app is handshaking a lot and it often isn't very quick. 

Relative to search, if you haven't already, go to Tools - Options - Search and set Search as you type delay to something like 50.  This will delay EN starting the search until there is a 50 millisecond delay in typing.  Avoids intermediate search actions.

Do you have On Demand Sync turned on?  Find it at Tools - Option - Synchronization.  This will slow down searches as the majority of the work happens at the servers.

For me the one way to slow down EN is to back space in the search box.  Don't know why but that is the one way to get EN to pause for me.  Other than that, I pretty much have instantaneous response time all the time.  If I mass edit tags I don't see a slow down in response time.  It takes longer than it used to for the changes to sync, but I don't notice anything operationally as the sync occurs. 

Just FYI, I am probably over zealous in turning off all the Windows plumbing stuff that just eats up cycles, things like file indexing and any of the phone home monitoring stuff.  That and most things other apps want to have running in the background.  The fewer extraneous things running the better in my view.

• Like 1

Thanks guys - some useful tips.

@PinkElephant - OK found those settings (CTRL/ALT in windows) - I'll give rebuild  a shot tomorrow - see what happens. Your point about speedtest sounds right.

@CalS - yes I've already got that sync option off (not by design; I think it might be  the default) and I've changed the delay setting as you suggest - see what happens. Take your point about reducing background processing loads.

None of these issues are a plague, just irritating. This AM it was real pain but as I said, turns out it was not a failing of EN.

If I notice any improvement from the settings you suggest I'll let you know ... if you don't hear from me, well, things stay the same, but there's clearly some adjustments I can fiddle with.

🙂

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DaJoLo said:

@CalS - yes I've already got that sync option off (not by design; I think it might be  the default) and I've changed the delay setting as you suggest - see what happens. Take your point about reducing background processing loads.

Let us know how it goes.

Well, generally the desktop app seems to have been running a bit more smoothly since making the adjustments suggested. Still the occasional 'not responding' moments but they definitely don't last for as long as they did, and I haven't had any total seizures of late.

😎

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, DaJoLo said:

Well, generally the desktop app seems to have been running a bit more smoothly since making the adjustments suggested. Still the occasional 'not responding' moments but they definitely don't last for as long as they did, and I haven't had any total seizures of late.

😎

God to hear. 

On 18.11.2019 at 13:14, DaJoLo said:

Evernote (Windows desktop) is often pretty bad when syncing - it frequently locks up with a 'not responding' state. Hasn't been too bad the last few days but this morning I simply cannot work with it! Every time I search for a note it locks up. Done all the usual stuff (cleaning out caches,  restart, checking my broadband connection - no issues) so I guess it's a server issue at EN end.

Any issues we should know about?

Similar issues last two days.  Cannot sync desktop EN. Online EN is ok.

• Level 5

OK - the more clients you use the better to isolate an issue.

If all the others were doing fine, there was probably something locally on your Windows PC. Could have been a background update pushed on you by Microsoft, or other activities. The EN client relies more on system resources than the browser based web client.

Sometimes it helps to look up external network problem, if the PC runs on an ISP land line, and the mobile on a mobile network, one can be down when the other is working. etc., etc. 

To check whether EN has an issue with the servers you can look here:

http://status.evernote.com/

But fine if it went back to work now.