• Level 5

Hello Alan, could you explain better where you want to create a JPEG instead of a PNG ? Any special app extension, inside of EN, when clipping etc. ?

You have posted in EN for Windows, which I do not remember to have picture modification capabilities.

• Thanks 1

I believe he means the right click menu option "Save As", when using it on a picture.   

It seems Evernote simply receives images from another program in the file type the other program sends, EN doesn't appear to determine file type (my camera sends JPG, Windows capture seems to default to PNG).

You can send the image to Microsoft Office Picture Manager,  Paint, or whatever image program is installed on your computer, to change the file type and compress it, from within Evernote (right click "Open with").

I hope that is of some help.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I am aware I can take the time to convert images in a 3rd party image conversion software, either HDR or online.

I would prefer to simply "Save As" a JPG (much smaller file size than PNG)... and definitely not have to convert myriads of images.

Thank you.

~ Alan

• Level 5

Just tested it. This is no function of EN, it is a Windows issue.

When I choose "send to ..." and then Evernote, it takes the picture as it is, format, size and all. EN just creates the note as an envelope for the new content. There seems to be no direct way to influence the picture while it is send.

Personally I use the little free App Irfan View to convert, rename and a bunch of other actions on picture files. It can do it in a batch mode, so you can convert a number of files in one go using the same settings. It installs on the computer and can be opened through the "Open with ..." option in the right click menu.

• Thanks 1

While digging around, I found that for some reason the snipping tool app can be changed to save in JPG and remember it, but the snipping hotkey cannot, weird, since they both seem to be part of the same tool.

Third party seems the way to go.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, ALL.

EN previously provided the functionality and option to choose between JPG and PNG.

This demonstrates the primitive formatting capabilities of EN still in 2019... which Power Users have brought to EN's attention for years now.

Much appreciate the effort and feedback.

~ Alan

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Don Dz said:

While digging around, I found that for some reason the snipping tool app can be changed to save in JPG and remember it, but the snipping hotkey cannot, weird, since they both seem to be part of the same tool.

Not sure what this means.

The Evernote for Windows screen clipper can be configured to use a different format by editing the string value "ScreenClipperFileName" string value in the  registry at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\TrayApplet. Default is "ScreenClip.png", but you can change it to "ScreenClip.jpg" to save in JPG, and other formats may be possible: ".tif" and ".bmp" also appear to work. 

The keyboard shortcut used to invoke the screen clipper can be configured off the Evernote taskbar  notification icon's right-click menu using Options / Configure SHortcut Keys... or from the main Evernote application: Tools / Options / Clipping.

Beyond that, this doesn't solve the OP's request. Obviously, Evernote for Windows has the ability to create images in various formats, and given that they can obviously read and display other formats (and having implemented similar functionality myself), it probably wouldn't be a stretch for them,  technically speaking,  to provide a Save As for various formats (it really seems that this would be a "Convert To..." operation, to convert a note image in place, rather than saving it to disk, but whatever).

So it all then comes down to a prioritization issue, per usual. Evernote is not an image editor, and relies on external applications to do that, which is an entirely valid approach. Having never seen a request like this before and given, I'd guess that this wouldn't be terribly important for most users, and therefore a nice-to-have, lower priority item, but that's purely a guess on my part.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jefito said:

The Evernote for Windows screen clipper can be configured to use a different format by editing the string value "ScreenClipperFileName" string value in the  registry at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\TrayApplet. Default is "ScreenClip.png", but you can change it to "ScreenClip.jpg" to save in JPG, and other formats may be possible: ".tif" and ".bmp" also appear to work. 

The keyboard shortcut used to invoke the screen clipper can be configured off the Evernote taskbar  notification icon's right-click menu using Options / Configure SHortcut Keys... or from the main Evernote application: Tools / Options / Clipping.

Beyond that, this doesn't solve the OP's request. Obviously, Evernote for Windows has the ability to create images in various formats, and given that they can obviously read and display other formats (and having implemented similar functionality myself), it probably wouldn't be a stretch for them,  technically speaking,  to provide a Save As for various formats (it really seems that this would be a "Convert To..." operation, to convert a note image in place, rather than saving it to disk, but whatever).

So it all then comes down to a prioritization issue, per usual. Evernote is not an image editor, and relies on external applications to do that, which is an entirely valid approach. Having never seen a request like this before and given, I'd guess that this wouldn't be terribly important for most users, and therefore a nice-to-have, lower priority item, but that's purely a guess on my part.

Thank you.

Is it possible to configure android EN for taking photos as JPGs?

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Just a reference to the Windows snipping tool (Win-Shift-S), not the Evernote clipper.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Thanks for the tip.  Was not aware one could do that with Evernote.

The string value "ScreenClipperFileName" doesn't appear at that address on my computer, all I see is Default, DefaultCommand, & OpenEvernoteParam.  A registry search came up empty. 

Assuming this means the entry would have to be created, I don't dare do anything in the registry without more specific steps.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Don Dz said:

The string value "ScreenClipperFileName" doesn't appear at that address on my computer, all I see is Default, DefaultCommand, & OpenEvernoteParam.  A registry search came up empty. 

Assuming this means the entry would have to be created, I don't dare do anything in the registry without more specific steps.

You can just create a new string value names "ScreenClipperFileName" in that key, and give it the file name that you want (soesn't need to be "ScreenClip"), with the image file extension that you want (e.g. ".jpg"). Then try it out. If it fails, you can always just delete the "ScreenClipperFileName" value, and it will go back to the default file name of "ScreenClip.png", I believe. Should be pretty safe, all in all.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

Thank you.

Is it possible to configure android EN for taking photos as JPGs?

I don't see anything in the Evernote for Android client for this, but when I tried it, the images came in as JPG anyways. Maybe it's a system setting?

28 minutes ago, jefito said:

You can just create a new string value names "ScreenClipperFileName" in that key, and give it the file name that you want (soesn't need to be "ScreenClip"), with the image file extension that you want (e.g. ".jpg"). Then try it out. If it fails, you can always just delete the "ScreenClipperFileName" value, and it will go back to the default file name of "ScreenClip.png", I believe. Should be pretty safe, all in all.

Thanks, I added the string value ScreenClipperFileName.jpg,  rebooted, tried the clipper, no effect, assuming I did it correctly.  Tried "ScreenClip.jpg", also no effect.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Thanks, I added the string value ScreenClipperFileName.jpg,  rebooted, tried the clipper, no effect, assuming I did it correctly.  Tried "ScreenClip.jpg", also no effect.

No, not quite.

Go to that registry key ("Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\TrayApplet"). In the pane on the right-hand side, right-click,, In the text box, type "ScreenClipperFileName" (without the quote characters). This is a new empty string value. Now double-click on that "ScreenClipperFileName" entry, and in the Edit String dialog, under "Value data", type "ScreenClip.jpg", and then click OK. You do not need to reboot for this to take effect; Evernote reads it every time you do a screen clip.

In short, the value name must always be "ScreenClipperFileName" exactly (that's how Evernote finds it), and the value data ("ScreenClip.jpg", in this case) is the file that Evernote will produce if you do a screen clip with a file target.

image.png.ab5f74114472bd4a00adc3e6b0618a50.png

image.png

33 minutes ago, jefito said:

No, not quite.

Thanks for the additional steps.  Even with rebooting, when I go to do a "save as" of the image in Evernote, it is still a PNG.1936911104_ScreenClip2.thumb.png.7b7cd929073e74da64c2a6d72467da7c.png

Just to eliminate all doubts, I renamed the value data to zzzzScreenClip.jpg, the file name still came out as ScreenClip.png.  This seems to suggest the setting is being ignored, even after a reboot.

ScreenClip.png.596c1243dd7dd575f3d79ece82d0d3a8.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

Thanks for the additional steps.  Even with rebooting, when I go to do a "save as" of the image in Evernote, it is still a PNG.

This does not work with Save As on a note image, and I never said that it did. As noted before this is only for the screen clipper

5 hours ago, jefito said:

The "ScreenClipperFileName" registry value name is the hint there, plus the fact that it's in the "TrayApplet" key: The "Save As" feature is completely different than the screen clipper functionality, and is indeed not affected by that registry setting. As far as I know, Save As may have had the ability to save as an arbitrary format, but I don't know either way whether that's true. Citation would be nice from those who think otherwise... 

1 hour ago, jefito said:

This does not work with Save As on a note image, and I never said that it did. As noted before this is only for the screen clipper

No, you didn't, but aside from Save as, I am not sure where you are seeing the resulting screen clipper image as a PNG or JPG.  Even 'Open with' only sends a PNG to another program. 

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

No, you didn't, but aside from Save as, I am not sure where you are seeing the resulting screen clipper image as a PNG or JPG.  Even 'Open with' only sends a PNG to another program. 

Sigh. This has nothing to do with Save As or Open With or anything relating to what you can do with an image in an Evernote note.

Once more, I am referring to the the Evernote screen clipper, available via the taskbar notification area icon (right click/Clip Screenshot) or via the "Capture Screen" shortcut in Tools / Options / Shortcut keys. When you clip an area, if you hold down the shift key before letting up on the left mouse button, then a file gets saves to your Windows desktop. It has a base filename as indicated by the filename in the registry name, and in the corresponding format. I figured that since you mentions the 'snipping tool app' and that you and OP referred to the ability to configure it to use JPG and PNG, that you were referring the the screen clipper, I only elaborated on how the screen clipper works because I believed it was being mentioned.

Again, you cannot solve the OP's problem in Evernote, because Evernote doesn't have that capability. You can change the extension in the file from the Save As dialog, but it won't change formats; it will only write out the exact same file with the extension you chose. The only way I know how to do this is to open a note image in a separate image editor, save it out as a different format, pull the new image into your note, and delete the old image; an onerous workflow indeed.

43 minutes ago, jefito said:

I am referring to the the Evernote screen clipper, available via the taskbar notification area icon (right click/Clip Screenshot) or via the "Capture Screen" shortcut in Tools / Options / Shortcut keys. When you clip an area, if you hold down the shift key before letting up on the left mouse button, then a file gets saves to your Windows desktop. It has a base filename as indicated by the filename in the registry name, and in the corresponding format.

Thanks for the additional details, it is as you say.  Interesting that this can be done outside the program but not inside of it. 

• Level 5

Interesting deep dive into the Windows engine room.

The only way I know to improve the workflow a little would be to collect the pics in a folder, convert it there using a program capable of batch conversion, and then create the note(s) from there. I like Irfan View for operations like this, because it can resize, change the file type and rename in one go.

Or just take it as it comes, bytes come cheap these days.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Thanks for the additional details, it is as you say.  Interesting that this can be done outside the program but not inside of it. 

Well, they probably have all of the pieces to implement the save-as-different-format functionality, but maybe never saw any need. Original request to change an image's format in place is pretty easy; generally you'd convert to some convenient internal format (this is Windows, so likely a Windows bitmap), and then convert it to the desired file format, with appropriate internal bookkeeping on the note resource for the image (change in MIME type, etc., possibly ensure that the new filename doesn't collide with an existing resource in the note), etc.

Saving a note image to disk is clearly useful (just another aspect of getting content in and out of Evernote), and the current interface does that fine, but  a real save-as-a-different format would have a different UI, one that lets you specify allowable formats, and possibly any parameters (e.g. compression settings, etc.), rather than detecting a file extension change and doing whatever's required. Generally SaveAs dialogs let the user control the name, regardless of whether it makes sense or note: what if they changed the extension to .xls, (Excel spreadsheet) for example? Or .zxy (no known format)? SaveAs dialogs just assume the user knows what they're doing. I just loaded a jpg into a my text editor, and saved it out as a .txt file, no problem. It's still a jpg internally.

Hello, Members:

The original purpose of posting this thread was to determine if an Android cell phone photo setting could be changed from PNG to JPG (which is about 20% or less the file size of PNG).

Example:  The full-size PNG has a file size of 402KB, but the full-sized, compressed JPEG is only 35.7KB.

THX.  ~ Alan

25 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

The original purpose of posting this thread was to determine if an Android cell phone photo setting could be changed from PNG to JPG (which is about 20% or less the file size of PNG).

Android?  Someone might know the answer at the Android forum, but I don't think you can do that in Android.  But as Jefito mentioned, it might be a system setting rather than Evernote if you are seeing PNG, on my phone I am seeing JPG as well.

You might need root access to make such a change, if at all possible.

1 hour ago, ab1kenobee said:

Is that the phone you are using?  I assume you already tried forums for your specific phone. 

I found a similar link: https://www.androidpit.com/forum/743076/what-s-the-default-format-of-phone-screenshot-png-or-jpg-and-is-it-possible-to-change-it

Dealing with hard-coded root issues is nasty business.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

Example:  The full-size PNG has a file size of 402KB, but the full-sized, compressed JPEG is only 35.7KB.

Perhaps you should have posted this in the Android section of the forums rather than in the Windows section. Or at least have mentioned Android in your initial post so a moderator could move it as appropriate. In direct response to the Android question; there was no mention of Android until your 4th post here, and even that was oblique,

I already mentioned that there's no Evernote setting that I can find, and my Evernote camera test captured in JPG, not PNG. Again: check your camera settings and/or the Internet.