Android/New Note/Camera saves as png even with Document selected

Usually use my scansnap but the power supply is rooted.

So, I use my Android phone to capture a document, choose my notebook, click Add (green + sign), select Camera, switch to Manual, frame the doc, switch to Auto, let it capture, tap the thumbnail lower left, check it is set to Document or Colour Document and NOT Image, tap save.

Go to my desktop (Windows 10 laptop), sync, check the note, (info does not tell me the file type), click File/Save Attachments, save it somewhere, and of course it is a PNG file and not a PDF.

I want a PDF, is this too much to ask??

Thanks!!

Fair point and a request with which I agree, but this is the behaviour EN has always had. I'd like to add that it would be even better if EN could generate multi page PDFs instead of (or as well as) separate images as it does currently.

• Level 5*
On 24/03/2018 at 3:44 AM, Jimmy Magnani said:

I want a PDF, is this too much to ask??

Hi.  At the moment,  yes.  Evernote (IME) does the "Save Attachments" thing on the basis of exporting the same format that the attachment had as a separate file,  so I'd imagine that your pic is a PNG on the way in,  as it is a PNG on the way out.  If you save a PDF that's what you'll get - but Evernote doesn't mess with your content,  so it doesn't convert between types.  Plus that would be a non-simple change,  because if you export pics as PDF,  why not other documents?...and you're into coding a multi-app converter - of which there are various existing types already lying around,  including those nice folks at Adobe.

Incidentally, Google Drive (on Android at least) does a pretty serviceable job of scanning multiple pages to a single pdf and is my preferred tool.  It's then relatively straightforward to use 'Send a copy' to share to EN.

34 minutes ago, logandb said:

Incidentally, Google Drive (on Android at least) does a pretty serviceable job of scanning multiple pages to a single pdf and is my preferred tool.  It's then relatively straightforward to use 'Send a copy' to share to EN.

Thanks logandb that's a solid idea :)

• 2 months later...

In earlier versions, EN did save document photos shot within EN as PDFs.

I just took a photos of an invoice (front & back) which EN saved as a 3MB JPG. (This is rediculous from an office perspective.)

Also EN previously auto-corrected photo angles and size... which I do not see anymore.

For practical purposes, document photos need to be saved in PDF format.

Is there no internal EN solution that does not require additional time and 3rd party conversion software?

THX.  ~ Alan

• Level 5*
Just now, ab1kenobee said:

In earlier versions, EN did save document photos shot within EN as PDFs.

I just took a photos of an invoice (front & back) which EN saved as a 3MB PNG.

That's rediculous.

Hi.  When you take a picture,  tap the thumbnail at the bottom of the camera screen before you tap the check mark to save it. That screen then gives you the option to save as a document or a picture.  Check the Settings > Camera page too - there's a Document File Format option there that might have gotten changed.

Howdy, Super gazumped!

Appreciate your quick reply.

FYI:

• I do not find a THUMBNAIL when screen is tapped at bottom.
  • I do not find a CAMERA PAGE within EN camera SETTINGS.

What am I missing? LOL!

Thank you,

~ Alan

• Level 5*

I'm using a Samsung Note 4,  but I wouldn't think the software is that different...  I am on the beta version too (8.1 beta 4).  This is what I see when taking pictures - maybe another S8 user can help!!

screenshot_2018-05-29-17-49-40.thumb.jpg.334041d289b09e57224cbc725dee066b.jpgScreenshot_2018-05-29-17-48-38.thumb.jpg.b3201c4ebb707506e66d827c897fbf51.jpg

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm using a Samsung Note 4,  but I wouldn't think the software is that different...  I am on the beta version too (8.1 beta 4).  This is what I see when taking pictures - maybe another S8 user can help!!

screenshot_2018-05-29-17-49-40.thumb.jpg.334041d289b09e57224cbc725dee066b.jpgScreenshot_2018-05-29-17-48-38.thumb.jpg.b3201c4ebb707506e66d827c897fbf51.jpg

Is the CAMERA setting you show located within EN or Samsung menu?

RESPONSE FROM EN SUPPORT CHAT:

Matthew
Oh ok, I see that there at the bottom. I'll need to converse with our technical team to confirm if this is expected behavior or not. If not, I'll need to do some testing in our labs to see if we can reproduce the problem and get the proper workflow so that we can work towards a solution. Do you mind if I get back to you via email by EOD with what we find?

Hope to hear back soon... or find a solution sooner via Forum!
~ Alan

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Is that new with the 8.1 beta?? How do you access it in Settings > Camera?

Not sure it was new with the beta,  but that is what I'm using - it's Evernote > Settings > Camera > Document File Format

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Guess that's new in the Beta then - the option used to pop up in dialogues after you tapped the thumbnail at the bottom of the camera screen...  and (now I check) apparently it still does...!  -No choice of file format there though...

Screenshot_2018-05-29-21-56-27.thumb.jpg.91f421fa11d81b49b824e27efd93fec7.jpg

• Level 5

Yes, I do have those photo/document/etc. options after taking a pic with the camera. FWIW, though, even saving as one or another document type still saves a .png picture. Perhaps those choices have more to do with how Evernote processes them (e.g., indexing text)?

Archived