Parsing tags

I'm interested in using tags which represent a group of things, e.g.
- one tag which could represent either invoice, receipt or statement (i.e. Invoice.Receipt.Statement)
- one tag which could represent either stew, chili, cassoulet or ragu (i.e. Stew.Chili.Cassoulet.Ragu)

The problem occurs when I want to look for "receipt" or "chili"

Some years ago on this forum, I read that separating words in tags with "." made the individual words searchable, but this is not true.
tag:*.chili returns 0 records

Is there a method to use tags which will let me search for the middle or ending part of the tag?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, TdeV said:

one tag which could represent either invoice, receipt or statement (i.e. Invoice.Receipt.Statement)
one tag which could represent either stew, chili, cassoulet or ragu (i.e. Stew.Chili.Cassoulet.Ragu)

I see these as separate tags; why combine into one tag?

>>I'm interested in using tags which represent a group of things

This could be saved searches       any: tag:invoice tag:receipt tag:statement
                                                            any: tag:
stew tag:chili tag:cassoulet tag:ragu

>>The problem occurs when I want to look for "receipt" or "chili"

If you have a use case for searching receipt or chili, then these should be a separate tags

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, TdeV said:

- one tag which could represent either invoice, receipt or statement (i.e. Invoice.Receipt.Statement)
- one tag which could represent either stew, chili, cassoulet or ragu (i.e. Stew.Chili.Cassoulet.Ragu)

The problem occurs when I want to look for "receipt" or "chili"

Some years ago on this forum, I read that separating words in tags with "." made the individual words searchable, but this is not true.
tag:*.chili returns 0 records

Is there a method to use tags which will let me search for the middle or ending part of the tag?

Go to Tools - Options - Navigation and un-check Match tags by word prefix in the Tag Picker.  See if that gives you want you want.  Thing of it is, typing chili is the same as typing stew in this use case, you get them all.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, TdeV said:

Then come up with one tag tag represents each group. It may have an obvious name or you might have to invent one, but remember: tags are a vocabulary that should have meaning to you.  That's your main tag; then go ahead and tag with more specific tags as well. This is classical hierarchical naming stuff, e.g. "Felidae" --> "cat", "lion", "lynx", "jaguar", "tiger", etc. (https://www.britannica.com/topic-browse/Animals/Mammals/Feline-Family). 

• Like 1

So, what you are each saying is that there is no way to find a portion of a tag which starts elsewhere than the first character position?

As I was attempting to illustrate with my example, the period "." which was once identified as a possible separator doesn't work.

Anything else to try?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

So, what you are each saying is that there is no way to find a portion of a tag which starts elsewhere than the first character position?

Not using the search language (e.g., tag:abc).. Ref. https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

UI controls that filter tags may not use the same convention, probably because they're not searching for notes, but searching against the tag tree.

As far as I know, '.' has never been a tag separator; it's just part of the tag name.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TdeV said:

As I was attempting to illustrate with my example, the period "." which was once identified as a possible separator doesn't work.

Anything else to try?

You can find a portion of the tag, you need to uncheck Match tags by word prefix ...

Image.png.cd8c418a1b2e8ee78f9e57577e5cb3ae.png

Then you get something like this

ScreenClip.png.2bd1f826e2f158d5d8fb25ea4e10292c.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

You can find a portion of the tag, you need to uncheck Match tags by word prefix .

Right. In the UI (Tag Picker, specifically), as noted. But for note search, doesn't apply.. Helpful, indisputably: helps you to locate tags with a specific infix, but not the notes tagged with those tags, which would be far more useful, to me anyway.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, jefito said:

Right. In the UI (Tag Picker, specifically), as noted. But for note search, doesn't apply.. Helpful, indisputably: helps you to locate tags with a specific infix, but not the notes tagged with those tags, which would be far more useful, to me anyway.

First, I don't really use compound tags so I don't use the functionality, but I knew the option existed so I offered it up..

IAC, you can find notes via infix this way with the Tag Picker / Filter by tag (Alt+Shift+T).  In the example above had I hit enter the one note with the tag would have been left in the list which I think represents finding notes via a component of the tag?  Simple video as an example.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, jefito said:

That is mostly correct. If you don't use the Tag Picker, but use Ctrl+Q instead, you also get to see all the notes as a "tool tip" if you hoover over each tag.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

First, I don't really use compound tags so I don't use the functionality, but I knew the option existed so I offered it up..

Sure, and neither do I. And the UI bit I was referring to earlier *was* the tag picker, so it was good that you clarified that.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

IAC, you can find notes via infix this way with the Tag Picker / Filter by tag (Alt+Shift+T).  In the example above had I hit enter the one note with the tag would have been left in the list which I think represents finding notes via a component of the tag?  Simple video as an example.

My point wasn't that you couldn't find notes at all, but that you cannot find notes via an infix tag search (e.g. something like tag:*abc*), since there's no such thing in Evernote currently. That would allow people to use compound tags more conveniently, and something that -- I think -- that @TdeV was aiming for.

9 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

That is mostly correct. If you don't use the Tag Picker, but use Ctrl+Q instead, you also get to see all the notes as a "tool tip" if you hoover over each tag.

Another spot in the UI where partial matches can take place (I'd forgotten about that one, so nice one). So yes, the tooltip shows a little bit about each matching note, but again, I was thinking of infix tag matches.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, jefito said:

all, but that you cannot find notes via an infix tag search (e.g. something like tag:*abc*), since there's no such thing in Evernote currently. That would allow people to use compound tags more conveniently, and something that -- I think -- that @TdeV was aiming for.

Ah, thanks for the detail.  @TdeV had periods in his example tag hence the recommendation. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1