Mojave, Spotlight indexing

Hi

I'm running Evernote Version 7.6 (457297 Direct) downloaded from the website, on MacOs Mojave ver 10.14.1 (18B2107).

The notes don't pop up in Spotlight searches.

I've tried Help/Troubleshooting/Rebuild Spotlight Index, but nothing changed.

A look with Terminal/mdimport -L shows that the evernote spotlight indexer is correctly registered:

"/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter" 

When I manually run the import for evernote with terminal/mdimport <path>, I get this error below.
Any clue about how can I fix this?

$ mdimport -d 1 Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/A5973C97-777C-440C-BB19-8C07351B1E14/ENNote/_records/
2018-11-19 00:34:11.765 mdimport[15751:1205637] Imported '/Users/<username>/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/A5973C97-777C-440C-BB19-8C07351B1E14/ENNote/_records' of type 'public.folder' with no plugIn.
2018-11-19 00:34:11.917 mdimport[15751:1205637] Error loading /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlightImporter:  dlopen(/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlightImporter, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
    /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlightImporter: code signature in (/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlightImporter) not valid for use in process using Library Validation: mapping process is a platform binary, but mapped file is not
2018-11-19 00:34:11.917 mdimport[15751:1205637] Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory DADC1455-4A69-4111-B82C-403CA02D7DE0 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fee5ee493e0 </Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

until today I completely ignored that Spotlight issue topic - because I don‘t use Spotlight to search EN content.

But...

I opened a support ticket a few days ago because EN on my Mac didn‘t find a particular note when searching for a particular word - while EN on iOS and on the Web did find it!

The answer from EN support is that the issue is related to a known Mojave Spotlight problem.

Uuups, does that really mean EN client Apps on different platforms are using different search algorithms?

I‘m surprised about that, esp. because usually I get similar/identical search results, regardless what device I‘m using for searching.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

Uuups, does that really mean EN client Apps on different platforms are using different search algorithms?

Each device/platform builds it's own search index.

I would expect the algorithms to be the same but minor differences are possible

Can you add details as to your issue?

I would really like to see this issue fixed. It was a big loss of functionality for me. Searching in Spotlight and then again in Evernote is a big pain. Every time I do it the thought crosses my mind "what other options are there for storing my notes?". It is a bit of work to look at alternatives.  The web clipper feature is one I really like and use a lot, along with cloud sync, and apps for Mac and iOS. Not sure if there is a better option. But this issue is pushing me closer to looking at other options.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:34 PM, DTLow said:

Each device/platform builds it's own search index.

I would expect the algorithms to be the same but minor differences are possible

Can you add details as to your issue?

I've a OCRd PDF containing the word "labello". If I do a search on Mac for "labello" nothing found. Do I exactly the same search on iOS I get that one note containing that one word.

Interesting is if I open that one note on my Mac and do a search within note for "labello" then it highlights the word - it finds that string - but not if you do a "global search" (not that "within a note search")

Edited by stocky2605
some more explaination
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, stocky2605 said:

I've a OCRd PDF containing the word "labello". If I do a search on Mac for "labello" nothing found. Do I exactly the same search on iOS I get that one note containing that one word.

I clipped this post, saved to Evernote as a pdf, both native and OCR'd52832023_ScreenShot2019-02-14at11_18_08.png.7e6d8775ca997932125bcb5a33b16262.png
The attached file is the text file generated for searching9E6483EC-7E4E-4B50-9329-4DC557F50BE1.en-pdf-text

I'm not seeing any problem with searching for "labello".
It works on my Mac and iPad

>>Interesting is if I open that one note on my Mac and do a search within note for "labello" then it highlights the word - it finds that string - but not if you do a "global search" (not that "within a note search")

Yes, we've noticed these are two different search processes

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

I clipped this post, saved to Evernote as a pdf, both native and OCR'd52832023_ScreenShot2019-02-14at11_18_08.png.7e6d8775ca997932125bcb5a33b16262.png
The attached file is the text file generated for searching9E6483EC-7E4E-4B50-9329-4DC557F50BE1.en-pdf-text

I'm not seeing any problem with searching for "labello".
It works on my Mac and iPad

>>Interesting is if I open that one note on my Mac and do a search within note for "labello" then it highlights the word - it finds that string - but not if you do a "global search" (not that "within a note search")

Yes, we've noticed these are two different search processes

Support has confirmed the issue. The point in my case is: I cannot reproduce the issue with other PDFs, right, but this one PDF (it‘s a small one, a receipt) do habe that issue. Support has my note, my PDF and screenshots showing the problem.

As mentioned: if you search within the PDF for „labello“ EN finds the word, if you do a global search no single note is found.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5

Don’t know nothing about Outlook, sorry.

In general, support told me this regarding spotlight search on the Mac / Mojave:

Via spotlight under Mojave, it is only possible to find search text contained in the titles of our notes.

Spotlight will not find anything not in the title, but in the notes text, as well as no tags, no OCRed attachments etc.

It is not EN blocking the access, but somehow the search function of Mojave is not indexing anything except words in the notes titles. So if you really want to search for something, you have to go through the EN app, or log into the EN web version, and use the internal search of EN.

Probably it works similar for Outlook. Maybe you just try it: Search for text that is found in some Mails titles, and see what happens.