Synced Duplicate Notes

K.King

Idea

My understanding, confirmed by an Evernote Expert reply to a support request,  is that when I copy or duplicate a note to another notebook, and then add content to the note in one notebook, the note in the other notebook does not and cannot also update. I want the option to have the same note in two notebooks and for changes made to either version of the note to register across both notes and notebooks. :):)

Some of my notes thematically fit in multiple notebooks and I often forget which notebook a certain note is in. My most helpful notes, like on productivity tips, and my idea lists would be most efficiently referenced if I could see them in multiple notebooks instead of looking for which notebook I put it in or using search. I thought they were syncing but now I realize I have to manually merge several of my notes. Related, a more sophisticated version of merging notes, i.e. omitting duplicate sections, would be helpful, and I see others have requested this. 

Thanks for all you do for Evernote. Have loved this app for many years. :wub:

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-19 at 8:47 AM, K.King said:

I want the option to have the same note in two notebooks

Specifically not allowed for Notebooks; a note can only be assigned with a single Notebook.  

Evernote did set this up for Tags;  a note can be assigned with multiple tags

I see a potential problem with multiple notebook assignments.  Notebooks are used for identifying notes as Sync’d/Local, Shared, Offline; this could be a problem if a note has multiple notebooks assignments

• Level 5*
On 9/19/2017 at 11:47 AM, K.King said:

I want the option to have the same note in two notebooks and for changes made to either version of the note to register across both notes and notebooks.

This isn't necessary, since:

On 9/19/2017 at 11:47 AM, K.King said:

Some of my notes thematically fit in multiple notebooks and I often forget which notebook a certain note is in.

This is exactly why tags exist: a single note can have more than one descriptive attribute.

I generally don't try to predict what Evernote will or won't do with their product, but I'll go out on a limb on this one: they'll have nested notebooks before they provide for notes that belong to more than one notebook.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:52 PM, jefito said:

This isn't necessary, since:

There are some reasons that this feature needs to exist.  One in particular is because some external services use notebooks in different ways.  Postach.io for instance links to a notebook.  If I want to share a notebook with another person and I want a particular note in the notebook to also be hosted on Postach.io, then, well, it's not possible.  I have to keep two separate versions of that note in two different notebooks and synchronize them manually.  Even without an external service, I can have the same problem by having two different notebooks shared with different people but wishing to have one note shared with both. 

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

We're not disagreeing with the need; just pointing out the fact that Notes can only be assigned to a single notebook. 

This is the reality of Evernote's database srtucture.

I was trying to respond to the statement that this feature is simply not necessary.  It seems that not all of the responders are as enlightened as you.  I also see that there are other versions of this feature request where others promoters have done an excellent job of presenting the case.  But again, some responders just don't seem to understand. 

Ultimately, this is in Evernote's court.  Have they figured out how to make enough money yet to develop useful additions?  I think they ran out of venture capital quite awhile ago.  As far as I can tell, the only big updates have been to make the mobile apps run more slowly.    ;)    Oh, and to change the color scheme every year or so.  

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Chmedly said:

There are some reasons that this feature needs to exist

You've pointed out valid reasons; much better than the OP with
"thematically fit in multiple notebooks"

We're not disagreeing with your needs; just pointing out the fact that Notes can only be assigned to a single notebook.   The tag feature would  be more suitable for the ops "needs".

This is the reality of Evernote's database srtucture.

>>Have they figured out how to make enough money yet to develop useful additions? 

I don't know about funding for development work but there is a priority based on various factors including user votes.  This request has 1 vote.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, jasecutler said:

How do I get consideration from the Evernote team for this?

Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.  The current vote count is 2

imho This request won't go anywhere.  Evernote recognized the requirement (thematically fitand implemented the Tag feature as a solution.

• Level 5*
On 9/12/2018 at 9:54 PM, Chmedly said:

There are some reasons that this feature needs to exist. 

Thanks for the examples. Anyways, maybe it needs to exist; and maybe it doesn't. My intuition -- based on my own usage and by being a pretty avid forum reader for a long time -- leads me to believe that the number of users that need it is pretty small (so a lower priority than other requested features), but it's impossible for me to claim that. But it sure complicates things for users: since now when you copy or duplicate a note you need to specify whether it's a synced copy or not, and how about when you copy a synced copy; is that automatically synced as well? And it would necessitate changes to the service (which ripple across all Evernote applications) and API (which affects 3rd-party developers), though that might be seamless for most of them.

I also could really use the ability to have a not in two different notebooks synced. My use example:

I have a notebook which I share with others in my office. It mostly contains info. that I have complied to help them identify and order parts and consumable. My private version of that notebook is more extensive so I search that when I need to order something. Often I find a better vendor or get new information on something and add it to my notes. Unfortunately the new info. doesn't get shared with my staff unless I remember to paste it into the shared notebook as well.

I am also very much looking foward to such a feature. As I organize different fields of work in different notebooks, I have a work-field-specific TO-DO-list in each of them. It would be more than helpful to have a further notebook that bundles all TO-DO-lists. And if those lists synchronized when I edit them either in the bundled notebook or in a work-specific notebook, it would enhance my workflow tremendously. 

Cheers, Paul 

Archived