changing my mind...

Say I open an existing note and make a lot of changes in it.
Then I change my mind and don't want these changes to be saved.
If I simply close the note all the changes I've made will be saved.
How can these changes be ignored?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're a premium (or business) subscriber,  use Note History to wind back changes.  Undo can take you back some recent and small changes,  but like any document when you commit to a new version,  the onus is on you to take a backup copy if necessary.  You could copy and paste from a note into an external app like Word or Notepad and make your changes there,  copying the new text back when you've finished;  or you could save that text as your backup and make changes to the note.  The old version is sitting there for reference and replacement purposes as and if necessary.

Of course the drum we keep on banging here is backups.  Although Evernote makes sure that your data is pretty safe,  nothing beats the reassurance of having some historical backups of your own handy.  If you needed to restore a note from an ENEX notebook backup it would be pretty easy to restore those notes temporarily into an offline notebook,  find the note(s) you need to copy,  and replace the current changed versions in the live database.

• Level 5*

Just to add to the good advice by @gazumped - if you are editing and not sure you want to commit the changes, if you duplicate (mac) or make a copy (windows) of the note first, you'll have a quick backup to get back to. 

Not necessary if you are a Premium/Business users as note history does that for you.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

Not necessary if you are a Premium/Business users as note history does that for you.

Sometimes a bit risky if you make a group of changes in relatively quick succession.  All versions of the note may not make it to history (voice of experience  :mellow:).

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Sometimes a bit risky if you make a group of changes in relatively quick succession.  All versions of the note may not make it to history (voice of experience  :mellow:).

Correct. That only would definitively  address the OP - i.e. open an existing note and make a lot of changes then decide you don't want any changes saved. Any exiting note would have a snapshot before the changes were made. Unknown any many iterations would be saved during the edit process.

Archived