Sorting or Archiving completed to-do's

MWS

Idea

I mostly use Evernote for tracking 'to-do's'/checklists. It becomes very annoying when I have a 100 item long to do list, some of which are completed, some of which still need to be completed and I have to look through the whole list or see which ones I still need to get done. It would nice to be able to either sort by completed or not completed, or someone automatically archive the completed items or notes into a folder which I could view at any time but don't see it all of the time. The completed items i check off are important notes and I want to be able to access those in the future but not see them all of the time. 

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You can always move notes into a separate notebook (there are no folders in Evernote). And you can always move completed items represented as checkbox'ed text to another note. Aside from that, you can add reminders to notes, which, in the Windows client, can be viewed as a separate list above your note list (in most note views, bt not list views), and it's independently sortable.. I use a combination of these facilities.

Other than that, Evernote does not provide facilities to automatically manage lists maintained inside a note; it's manual cut/copy/paste, add/edit checkbox, etc. That may work for you, it may not. Hard to tell much more unless you describe your system more fully.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MWS said:

I mostly use Evernote for tracking 'to-do's'/checklists

Evernote is a generic filing app and doesn't have the features of a list management app

I manage my tasks in Evernote by using a separate note for each task.  Using search parameters, I can specify completed notes are excluded from the list

You can also use search  parameters to exclude your completed checklists.  Documentation at    Evernote Search Grammar

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MWS said:

I mostly use Evernote for tracking 'to-do's'/checklists. It becomes very annoying when I have a 100 item long to do list, some of which are completed, some of which still need to be completed and I have to look through the whole list or see which ones I still need to get done. It would nice to be able to either sort by completed or not completed, or someone automatically archive the completed items or notes into a folder which I could view at any time but don't see it all of the time. The completed items i check off are important notes and I want to be able to access those in the future but not see them all of the time. 

Workaround.  You can use something like PhraseExpress to create a hotkey which completes the task and moves it to the bottom of the note.  Would work well if the task list was the last thing in the note.

Thanks for the input. You would certainly think that a code could be written so that when you completed or checked-off a to-do item it could be automatically moved into a Archive Notebook. 

CSIHILLING - can you expand on the PhraseExpress comment made above?

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, MWS said:

Thanks for the input. You would certainly think that a code could be written so that when you completed or checked-off a to-do item it could be automatically moved into a Archive Notebook. 

CSIHILLING - can you expand on the PhraseExpress comment made above?

PhraseExpress is a text expander that can be used for repetitive actions or text.  I did this exact phrase once before, it was a one off for me  since virtually all my tasks are one per note.  

I don’t remember if I completed the task in the phrase or not, but after that the repetitive actions are highlight the line where the cursor is (triple click), cut the line (Ctrl-x), go to the bottom of the note (End), new line (Enter), and paste (Ctrl-v).  There may have been a delete in there to clean up the completed task line but I do not remember that either, it was a couple of years ago.  

Again, only really works well if the tasks are at the bottom of the note.  Also, inmy case I inserted the current time into the phrase to mark when the task was completed.  FWIW. 

1 hour ago, MWS said:

MWS,

Consider this option: I have a notebook, "Networking" where I manage my network like a customer relationship management tool. I set note reminders for all sorts of actions like follow ups, promises, rekindle stale connections, etc. I use several Saved Searches to accomplish the management of this/

1. Due Today: "reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*" - This shows all active reminders due today or are overdue.

2. Due Tomorrow: "-remindertime:day+2 reminderTime:* -reminderDoneTime:*" - This shows all reminders due tomorrow.

3. Active Networking: "notebook:Networking -tag:archive" - You will see from the syntax, the search returns all notes in the networking notebook unless I have tagged the note with the "archive" tag. Those are hidden from my search view.

You could easily change these to fit your specific needs. I know it isn't quite ordering a list of 100+ reminders, but it might work to improve your process a little.

Cheers!

You can use automation tool which can collect the completed item to a file with timestamps for each completed task. On mac, hammerspoon is a good automation tool and on windows AHK can be used. But even for that you would have to manually select completed tasks and press one key(say F10) ..