PDF in landscape mode on ipad

I have some pdf's that will not display a single page when I rotate my ipad pro into landscape mode.  It displays 2 pages side by side.  Not an issue on my iphone 7 plus which will display a single full sized page.

Some pdf's display in single page and some in double page.  I'm trying to figure out why diferent files behave differently.  I assume it is a setting in the file and not an EN issue.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gabx said:

Some pdf's display in single page and some in double page.  I'm trying to figure out why diferent files behave differently.  I assume it is a setting in the file and not an EN issue.

Can you share a  public URL to a note where the PDF displays incorrectly;

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not an iPad user,  so excuse any dumb questions,  but are you viewing the pages inline in Evernote,  in a pop-out editor,  or in a third party PDF app?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

are you viewing the pages inline in Evernote,  in a pop-out editor,  or in a third party PDF app?

23 minutes ago, gabx said:

Viewing it within Evernote on iPad. 

That's a pop-out viewer. 
Evernote/IOS doesn't support inline viewing. 

Other pdf's display in single page views.  Only some go to 2 pages.  I'm trying to figure out what setting in the file is causing that.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, gabx said:

Other pdf's display in single page views.  Only some go to 2 pages.  I'm trying to figure out what setting in the file is causing that.

Hi. As far as I know, all PDFs display two pages at a time in landscape mode on the iPad in Evernote. Specifically, the first and last pages are individual pages, and all of the ones in between (pages 2 to 19 in a 20-page PDF, for example) are displayed two at a time. A two-page PDF, following this rule, is usually two individual pages. A 3-page document has the last two pages displayed together, probably because there are not two pages in between 1 and 3.

My guess is that Evernote is using the iOS-supplied PDF viewer to render the PDFs, and this is a quirk in it, so there is nothing we can do to affect the display. If Evernote used its own rendering software (assuming it isn't already), it could make adjustments or give us the option to do so. 

I hope that helps.

That's exactly what I'm seeing but only for a couple of pdf's.  I have hundreds of pdf's in evernote and all of them display 1 page only

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, gabx said:

That's exactly what I'm seeing but only for a couple of pdf's.  I have hundreds of pdf's in evernote and all of them display 1 page only

I also have hundreds. Maybe thousands. All of mine follow the rules I outlined above, as far as I can tell. Imcould be missing something, though. Could you share a non-confidential PDF you have found that doesn't follow the rules? 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, gabx said:

here is a pdf that shows only 1 slide (not 2 side by side) in landscape mode on my ipad... https://www.evernote.com/l/ADZXWrjTRrlCsaqxjVEsMa-Ak80Q9R3FxTQ

Hi. Thanks. Those look like (approximately) A4-sized landscape orientation slides from a presentation. There isn't enough room to display them side by side, so the iPad does one at a time. Mix in some vertical orientation slides (flip a few around) and they ought to display as individual pages (I have some PDFs with a mix of slides and vertical orientation stuff that operate this way).

Apparently, this makes an exception to the rules I outlined above: when landscape orientation pages are mixed into a PDF, everything is shifted to individual slides, as far as I can tell. Thanks! I didn't catch that until now. 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, gabx said:

here is a standard size (not A4).  This also displays in single page... https://www.evernote.com/l/ADZpEc5IM7ZIuJLz_EWJrRen9bp38k8dvxQ

I am not on my computer right now to confirm the landscape orientation, but opening that in iBooks and other apps show the same thing -- A4 landscape orientation slides, so the same result. 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, gabx said:

it isn A4... it is US Letter

I see. But, in landscape orientation, right? That seems to be the issue, not the page size.

I suppose, with a super small size, the PDFs might display two pages next to one another, but I am guessing (without having tried it) that Apple's PDF engine just sees "landscape" orientation in the files and that triggers individual pages. At any rate, the rules outlined above seem to be in effect.

I think its an individual setting within the pdf (which i can't figure out).  Every pdf I have (other than 2) displays in single page.  Thanks for trying to help

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gabx said:

I think its an individual setting within the pdf (which i can't figure out).  Every pdf I have (other than 2) displays in single page.  Thanks for trying to help

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't find you a solution, though the theory above explains the files I have and the ones you shared with me, so I would suggest looking through your account some more to see if (1) the theory holds up or (2) there is some other factor (as we discovered above) that is generating exceptions. As far as I know, there are no individualized settings within Evernote on iOS for viewing PDFs. 

Alternatively, you could contact support and see if they can help find a solution. They are the experts, after all.

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, macneilpi said:

Feature request?

In development?

I don't see any feature request.

My suspicion is this is an IOS limitation.
I don't think Evernote actually writes the inline display code; they make use of tools provided by the other companies

Archived