Why can't I run Evernote on OS X 10.9.5?

On 1/17/2017 at 11:03 PM, jdarnell said:

I just switched my iMac for a larger screen model but the operating system is the same. I had the software downloaded on my old mac so why can I not download it to my new one?

**Edited**

Hi @jdarnell,

The latest version of Evernote for Mac (6.10) requires OSX 10.10 or higher and is not compatible with older versions of OSX. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2017 at 6:21 AM, BSR said:

Hi @jdarnell,

The latest version of Evernote for Mac (6.10) requires OSX 10.10 or higher and is not compatible with older versions of OSX. You will either need to install an older version of Evernote (which is not recommended) or update the OS on your Mac in order for the latest version of Evernote to be supported.

Hi BSR,

Please provide a link to download a compatible version. I have searched for it extensively and cannot find it. 

That would be very appreciated.

I needed to uninstall / reinstall due to an error which killed Evernote on my MBA, ... so as for installing an older version being "not recommended", My feedback to Evernote is that Evernote is crazy to 

1) allow a non-supported version to be downloaded and installed, and 

2) to recommend an OSX upgrade as the preferred solution - it's not going to happen on my machine. 

Just my humble opinion. 

Thanks for the link to a supported version. 

Best regards -

On 2/24/2017 at 11:21 PM, roziercd said:

@Tom Lansford @jdarnell, Was @BSR ever able to provide you the download link for latest OSX 10.9.5 version? If so, please also forward to me. Thanks!

Sorry, no info yet ... going on a slow steam, .... Really need to get my MBA functional on Evernotes again.

ALL of the old release references land on the current version download, so I really need a link to a usable older version. ... I'm not changing my OSX anytime soon... 

Hi @Tom Lansford,

Under normal circumstances we generally do not provide links to older, unsupported versions of Evernote. It is something that we theoretically can do depending on the case, however we err on the side of caution there. 

In your case specifically, the last compatible release with OSX 10.9.5 would be version 6.8 of Evernote for Mac. In this case, I can't provide you with a link to install that version as there is a significant data loss bug that started in that version and was resolved in one of the 6.9 updates. Unfortunately, version 6.9 is also the version that limited support of OSX to version 10.10 or higher. There is an open report filed with our developers to push out a hotfix for the data loss issue on version 6.8, however as of right now that hasn't happened and I can't make any guarantees as to when or if that will be released.

I realize this is less than ideal for your situation, however the best recommendation I can make is working in Evernote Web for now. Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them for you.

5 hours ago, BSR said:

Hi @Tom Lansford,

Under normal circumstances we generally do not provide links to older, unsupported versions of Evernote. It is something that we theoretically can do depending on the case, however we err on the side of caution there. 

In your case specifically, the last compatible release with OSX 10.9.5 would be version 6.8 of Evernote for Mac. In this case, I can't provide you with a link to install that version as there is a significant data loss bug that started in that version and was resolved in one of the 6.9 updates. Unfortunately, version 6.9 is also the version that limited support of OSX to version 10.10 or higher. There is an open report filed with our developers to push out a hotfix for the data loss issue on version 6.8, however as of right now that hasn't happened and I can't make any guarantees as to when or if that will be released.

I realize this is less than ideal for your situation, however the best recommendation I can make is working in Evernote Web for now. Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them for you.

THX, how can I find out about the hotfix release if or when it happens?

As a premium user, do I have any other options for support on this issue?

Edit: just as a note regarding my config. I live in EN and this is my main work machine. So I am in Evernote web now, but even  when I am online that is not nearly as productive.  And it is also my main travel machine which puts a crimp in my work on the go. 

On 2/27/2017 at 4:45 PM, Tom Lansford said:

THX, how can I find out about the hotfix release if or when it happens?

As a premium user, do I have any other options for support on this issue?

Edit: just as a note regarding my config. I live in EN and this is my main work machine. So I am in Evernote web now, but even  when I am online that is not nearly as productive.  And it is also my main travel machine which puts a crimp in my work on the go. 

Hi @Tom Lansford,

I created a support ticket on your behalf. Let me know if you didn't receive the email.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently joined evernote -- late to the party, I know :)  And I have the same situation, too.  @BSR, has there been any solution to the 6.8 version so that we can use it on our MacBooks??  If not, I'd also like to be notified when the hotfix is released.  Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

On 4/21/2017 at 9:54 AM, kerrysusser said:

I recently joined evernote -- late to the party, I know :)  And I have the same situation, too.  @BSR, has there been any solution to the 6.8 version so that we can use it on our MacBooks??  If not, I'd also like to be notified when the hotfix is released.  Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

Hi there @kerrysusser, as I mentioned in my post above - 

There is an report filed with our developers on this issue affecting version 6.8, however there have not been any updates regarding this and I do not expect any movement on this anytime soon as this is an older version that is no longer being supported. The best recommendation I can make if you are unable to update your version of macOS is to use the web version of Evernote at evernote.com.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

To Evernote staff,

By forcing me to upgrade my OS you are telling me to buy a new computer as my computer did not accept the OS update.  I do not find that helpful. I have been using EN almost since it first came out but will now need to look elsewhere as I am not ready to fork for a new computer.  I think the priority level for writing the fix for the bug on the last Mavericks compatible version should be bumped up  based on this thread.  If my old computer is doing everything I need it to do and the software I had was fine, then forcing a purchase of a new machine because of a software bug seems terribly wrong.  Please help out your users who are content with their exising computers.  

Thank you

Bill Rodriguez

• Level 5*
On 20/08/2017 at 3:52 PM, BillRod said:

By forcing me to upgrade my OS you are telling me to buy a new computer as my computer did not accept the OS update.

Hi.  New versions of operating systems (generally) have better features and security than older ones,  and when a new version is rolled out by Apple it makes sense for other software to concentrate mainly on supporting the new OS.  If the new software allows some tricks that older software does not it can be especially difficult for cross-platform applications like Evernote to find ways to provide the same functions across all devices.  As a commercial decision Evernote seems to have decided that the effort of keeping its older versions up to date within the constraints of the old OS is not viable.

There's no reason why you shouldn't continue to use an older version of Evernote with your older OS,  so no force involved here.  See above and http://filehippo.com/mac/download_evernote_for_mac/ for links.

• 5 months later...
On 2/27/2017 at 12:29 PM, BSR said:

Hi @Tom Lansford,

Has a hot fix for version 6.8 been released? Will it ever be at this point? Thanks for any update.

• 4 months later...

The last version of Evernote before the 6.8 bug was 6.7.1

Available from Evernote's servers:

http://cdn1.evernote.com/mac-smd/public/Evernote_RELEASE_6.7.1_453574.zip

No idea why companies insist on making this hard for people.

Yeah we understand it is not longer supported.

Yet surprisingly they were running the older version perfectly fine before they had to replace a harddrive or similar reason to reinstall Evernote.

People are not going to buy a new $2000 computer just to run Evernote, or upgrade their OS and create other more serious software problems.

Archived