Transfering file from one account to another

• Level 5*

HI.  When you say a 'joint account' - would you both be using the same login details at (maybe) the same time?  If so that's a really bad idea.  If you should both be editing the same note,  Evernote has no way to tell you apart - it will accept both of your edits and mix them together.  And if you're editing different notes,  your account might overwrite the note your wife is editing with old content because it can't tell which is the most recent.  At the very best you'll spend a lot of time dealing with 'conflicting changes' reports,  sorting out the correct latest version of your notes.

It would be better for you to share one or more notebooks with your wife,  and for her to share any relevant notebooks with you.  You can both view and edit notes on each others' account as and when you need.

For information this is also one way to 'move' your data to her account.  Share a notebook,  create a new notebook in her account with the same name,  and move all the notes from your notebook to hers.  Repeat as necessary.

Share notebooks

How does sync work within Evernote?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

HI.  When you say a 'joint account' - would you both be using the same login details at (maybe) the same time?  If so that's a really bad idea.  If you should both be editing the same note,  Evernote has no way to tell you apart - it will accept both of your edits and mix them together. 

Actually, it won't unless one of you is editing offline. Otherwise, when you start editing a note, EN will tell all other clients the note is currently locked and being edited in another client.

It is still a bad idea and may be a violation of the TOS. 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, EdH said:

Actually, it won't unless one of you is editing offline.

I did think of the note locking thing - but when both devices are logged in as the same user - how does the system know which one to lock?

10 hours ago, Rianto said:

I have one Evernote account (free version) and my wife has the Premium version. I would like to use my wife's account for joint account. How to transfer all the data my account to hers? Thank you.

Rianto 

the Guru's speak the truth! Don't share the account. Share notebooks and notes between accounts. 

In my house, I have the Premium account and my wife and teenage son have basic accounts. 

This allows me to be the "main record keeper" of all of the document and records that we desire stored in Evernote while they normally make notes for themselves and infrequently access the archives of material I store. It comes in extremely handy when I am at work and one of them needs something, like a copy of a medical record, a clause from a lease or mortgage, a health insurance card number, etc. 

I recommend this method of sharing; it has been working very well for me and it's catching on with my close friends who are married with kids.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I did think of the note locking thing - but when both devices are logged in as the same user - how does the system know which one to lock?

As soon as an edit is started, it sends the lock signal back to the EN server. It is possible you could start the edits on both so close the 2nd client wouldn't get the lock until after it had started, but in playing with betas I've actually seen that on iOS and it just freezes you out even if you've started editing.

• Level 5*

@gazumped gave you the answer of using shared notebooks owned by the premium account

- shared notebooks allow you to transfer data from your account

- shared notebooks allow you to use your account, with the upload limits of the premium account 

You'll be safe from conflicts if you avoid updating the same notes at the same time.  No concern if you and your wife have separate notebooks 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, EdH said:

As soon as an edit is started, it sends the lock signal back to the EN server.

Don't disbelieve you.  but I just tried a test on my own system - editing a note on the desktop and on my mobile without syncing between.  It is quite possible.  Best I can get is a Conflicting Changes note on the desktop where the desktop shows the local content as the correct version,  the mobile original note as a conflicted version;  and the mobile shows a third option - the latest edit I made on the mobile,  which didn't even make it to the desktop yet...

I can see why people get cross when they switch from one device to another without lots of syncing in between...

Tried another sync of both devices - the last changes I made on the mobile still haven't synced - maybe because I still have two versions of the note on the desktop?

Anyway:  not going any further down that rabbit-hole,  but I am very satisfied that different devices connected to the same note at the same time is a Bad Thing.  And for domestic use,  what're you going to be doing?  Shopping Lists?  Travel Plans? - there's a pretty good likelihood that two devices,  one note will happen sooner or later...

Archived