Feature request: Shortcuts bar abreviations (Windows)

Hello.  I like and use the shortcuts bar in Windows, but sometimes it gets too cluttered.  I would like the ability to abbreviate or rename shortcuts without changing the title of the note, the tag label, or the saved search label, which is currently the only way to shorten the shortcut.

Thanks for listening.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Pavy said:

Hello.  I like and use the shortcuts bar in Windows, but sometimes it gets too cluttered.  I would like the ability to abbreviate or rename shortcuts without changing the title of the note, which is currently the only way to shorten the shortcut.

Thanks for listening.

Not what you are asking for, but a workaround would be to create a tag with a short name for every note you want with a shorter name in the shortcut menu, and add the tag to the shortcut bar instead of the note. If you are pinning tags with long names to the shortcut bar, you instead create a saved search (containing that tag) with a short name and add the saved search to the shortcut bar.

On 11/10/2016 at 10:11 AM, gustavgi said:

Not what you are asking for, but a workaround would be to create a tag with a short name for every note you want with a shorter name in the shortcut menu, and add the tag to the shortcut bar instead of the note. If you are pinning tags with long names to the shortcut bar, you instead create a saved search (containing that tag) with a short name and add the saved search to the shortcut bar.

Using a saved search for this is not a bad idea, except that shortcuts change with some frequency during the day.  

I would only add, that using a special tag is not necessary if you are going to also use a saved search for a single note, a saved search like this is plenty: intitle:"TITLE OF LONG NOTE"

Now that you mention it, I will also add tag labels and saved search labels to my request.  Thanks for bringing this detail to my attention.  :-)

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Pavy said:

Using a saved search for this is not a bad idea, except that shortcuts change with some frequency during the day.

If this is the case, you might consider creating a notebook to put these rapidly changing notes into and put that notebook in the shortcut bar.  Might be faster than adding a bunch of short names all the time.  Save the view setting as well for the notebook it it helps.

51 minutes ago, csihilling said:

If this is the case, you might consider creating a notebook to put these rapidly changing notes into and put that notebook in the shortcut bar.  Might be faster than adding a bunch of short names all the time.  Save the view setting as well for the notebook it it helps.

Actually, I do use my Inbox notebook for any new notes, so basically I already do what you suggest, but for what I need that would not work, with notes spread across several notebooks, but sharing one of several tags, dates, or some other parameter, especially when I am using them only as reference for a project, unless I could put links to such searches within a single note, in addition to links to notes (one of my recent new feature requests).  

In the absence of my request, several saved searches with short titles seem a better option at the moment, though I am finding I need to stack saved searches as I begin to use saved searches in this manner, but saved searches stacks doesn't exist as a feature in Windows at the moment (I posted a feature request for that today).

Sometimes I create a complex search for all the notes I am going to need, select them all, and create a table of contents note from the result, then I put that note on the shortcut bar, that is much less cumbersome than moving notes around between notebooks, but it doesn't address what I mentioned above, until a table of contents note can also contain links to tags and other parameters.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Pavy said:

fwiw    I use a single tag (!Hot Notes) in my shortcuts area, and apply the tag to notes I need quick access to.

•  
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

fwiw    I use a single tag (!Hot Notes) in my shortcuts area, and apply the tag to notes I need quick access to.

I use the tag ".Current" for notes I need to keep working on, ".Shortcuts" for notes I need to keep referencing but don't want cluttering the shortcut bar, and a few other tags for special projects, I cycle among them in the shortcuts bar, depending on what I am doing. I also use a bold font, all caps, and a different color (red, green, etc) to make the above tags stand out in the tags bar.

Sometimes I add a bunch of notes to the shortcut bar in the middle of an active project, they usually don't stay there for more than an hour, but it can get quite cluttered at times.

Archived