Do I really need synch?

I'm only using my laptop with Evernote. I'm on the basic plan and I've run out of space for this month. I assume that means my space on the server after notes have been synched.

Can I just use Evernote without using synch? I'm fairly sure I used to do that years ago when I first joined? I ought to be able to manage my backups to an external disk along with everything else.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

I'm only using my laptop with Evernote. I'm on the basic plan and I've run out of space for this month. I assume that means my space on the server after notes have been synched.

Can I just use Evernote without using synch? I'm fairly sure I used to do that years ago when I first joined? I ought to be able to manage my backups to an external disk along with everything else.

Yes. Just know that nothing will go to the web or any other devices. If it won't let you add to notebooks that are currently sync'd saying you are out of space this month, just add a new notebook that is "offline" and you can add whatever you want to it. But offline notebooks will never sync. If you want that data to eventually sync, just wait until next month, then move 60MB or less of notes from the offline notebook to a sync'd notebook.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

The limit is actually a data upload limit.  There is no limit on how much space we use on the server

I have set up a local notebook and the notes are never synced.  This was done for privacy reasons but it also bypasses upload limits.

Warning: Without syncing, you don't have a backup of your notes on the server.  Users should back up there local notebooks

27 minutes ago, EdH said:

Yes. Just know that nothing will go to the web or any other devices. If it won't let you add to notebooks that are currently sync'd saying you are out of space this month, just add a new notebook that is "offline" and you can add whatever you want to it. But offline notebooks will never sync. If you want that data to eventually sync, just wait until next month, then move 60MB or less of notes from the offline notebook to a sync'd notebook.

How do I make a notebook offline? By stopping all synch actions? This is personal data I'm playing with here so I would prefer not to synch anyway with this stuff.

Thanks EdH.

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The limit is actually a data upload limit.  There is no limit on how much space we use on the server

I have set up a local notebook and the notes are never synced.  This was done for privacy reasons but it also bypasses upload limits.

Warning: Without syncing, you don't have a backup of your notes on the server.  Users should back up there local notebooks

I had forgotten all about Local notebook! I started using EN in 2008 and I had stopped using it for a long time but now it seems the best option for note-keeping, better than One Note.  I'm finding the latest GUI a lot different from what I remember. As I said earlier, I do have two external drives to back up to and I also use two imaging programs, Veeam and Macrium Reflect.

Thanks DTLow.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

How do I make a notebook offline? By stopping all synch actions? This is personal data I'm playing with here so I would prefer not to synch anyway with this stuff.

You can't switch a notebook to Local

You have to create a new Local Notebook, and move your notes to the new notebook.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

Thanks EdH.

Use the file menu. File|New Local Notebook.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

Thanks all. Local notebook created and all relevant notes transferred.

Can EN search within .pdf files? It looks as though they have to be converted for search to work.

Yes and no. You have to have a Premium account for that to work. The EN servers index the PDF files, not the local client, so at a minium it has to sync, and then the Premium account gets you processor time while they OCR the PDFs for you.

You can OCR them yourself with your own software locally if desired I believe.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, bertie111 said:

Can EN search within .pdf files? It looks as though they have to be converted for search to work.

There are two types of PDF files
- text, or previously OCR'd

The image type has to go through an OCR process which is done on the Evernote servers (requires syncing)

Theres also an index process, which I believe also has to be done on the servers.

Finally, searching of pdfs is a Premium Account Feature

I've been trialing SodaPDF which does allow me to scan and OCR a copied document, it is fiddly but I can then convert it to Word which still keeps all the pdf formatting so I've been copying the text into a Word 'look-alike' which is then accepted by EN. And as I only want to use a local notebook that would appear to be mty best option, although I will need to spend out on SodaPDF! Unless there are any free PDF to Word converters (off-line) that is?

Thanks for your guidance, much appreciated!

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, bertie111 said:

Thanks all. Local notebook created and all relevant notes transferred.

Any PDF you OCR yourself or was previously OCRd by EN is searchable, local or synced notebook.  

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, bertie111 said:

I've been trialing SodaPDF which does allow me to scan and OCR a copied document, it is fiddly but I can then convert it to Word which still keeps all the pdf formatting so I've been copying the text into a Word 'look-alike' which is then accepted by EN. And as I only want to use a local notebook that would appear to be mty best option, although I will need to spend out on SodaPDF! Unless there are any free PDF to Word converters (off-line) that is?

I'm not clear as to the Word connection.
I usually stay with the pdf format

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, bertie111 said:

OK, thanks, but as I will be using a local folder I'm assuming thaEN won't be able to OCR it which is why I'm doing it as above.

Got that, my response was just confirming that if you OCR it yourself PDFs will be searchable in local notebooks.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, bertie111 said:

OK, thanks, but as I will be using a local folder I'm assuming thaEN won't be able to OCR it which is why I'm doing it as above.

See this for some good OCR solutions that don't involve converting to Word. I use PhantomPDF personally, but that is a $99 package. Those in the link are free.

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Got that, my response was just confirming that if you OCR it yourself PDFs will be searchable in local notebooks.

I've been using Scanitto OCR which isn't bad at all really, it seems to make quite a good job of recognition. I've processed about 4 docs so far that EN can search so I'm on the right track!

1 hour ago, EdH said:

See this for some good OCR solutions that don't involve converting to Word. I use PhantomPDF personally, but that is a $99 package. Those in the link are free.

Thanks for the link! The one I like the look of is Free OCR! I note the possible malware but also saw that the article was dated March 2012 so I wonder if that still applies re malware?

Archived