Material from a note appears in all notes

• Level 5

Suddenly today a weird problem has developed using Evernote Windows 6.0.6.1769. The content of one particular note is displayed in the Note Panel at the top of every single note I access. I have deleted the note with that content and expunged it from the Trash. But there the content still is in other notes. It does not show up when I open the note in a separate window, or in EN Web online, or in the Android app. It seems that something has gotten "stuck" somehow in the display of the Note Panel in EN Windows. I've tried closing and reopening the Note Panel and Evernote itself, with no result.

The first screenshot below shows a note as it should appear, opened in a separate window; the second shows it as it appears in the Note Panel within the main EN window. The unwanted content is the white block (part of a PDF file) at the top left.

As I say, really weird. Anyone have any ideas, esp. about where I could look in the EN data on my hard drive to clean this up?

Stuck note 1B.jpg

Stuck note 1C.jpg

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Suddenly today a weird problem has developed using Evernote Windows 6.0.6.1769. The content of one particular note is displayed in the Note Panel at the top of every single note I access. I have deleted the note with that content and expunged it from the Trash. But there the content still is in other notes. It does not show up when I open the note in a separate window, or in EN Web online, or in the Android app. It seems that something has gotten "stuck" somehow in the display of the Note Panel in EN Windows. I've tried closing and reopening the Note Panel and Evernote itself, with no result.....

As I say, really weird. Anyone have any ideas, esp. about where I could look in the EN data on my hard drive to clean this up?

I'm assuming this is just a Windows display error, and the corruption isn't replicate on the web/android platforms.

You might try rebooting your pc 

The next step would be reinstalling Evernote

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Suddenly today a weird problem has developed using Evernote Windows 6.0.6.1769. The content of one particular note is displayed in the Note Panel at the top of every single note I access. I have deleted the note with that content and expunged it from the Trash. But there the content still is in other notes. It does not show up when I open the note in a separate window, or in EN Web online, or in the Android app. It seems that something has gotten "stuck" somehow in the display of the Note Panel in EN Windows. I've tried closing and reopening the Note Panel and Evernote itself, with no result.

Exiting Evernote completely (File -> Exit) should clear this up. If you still have access to the PDF and/or original note that caused this problem and it doesn't contain any confidential information, please contact me over PM so I can investigate.

• Level 5*

@emerick

This one has been around for a while.  It has happened to me numerous times, but not much of late,  Never with the same PDF as best I can remember.  I thought it was fixed in a past release?  FYI.

• Level 5

Thanks, emerick. That fixed it. Strangely, I'd already quit EN and restarted several times, by clicking on the X Close button in the top right of the window; but each time, the problem was still there when I restarted. But when I did exactly as you said--exiting Evernote completely using File -> Exit--the problem was solved.

This surprised me, and I decided to observe the process of quitting EN using Windows Task Manager. I found that just quitting with the X button leaves not only Evernote Clipper but Evernote.exe and EvernoteTray.exe still in memory, while using File -> Exit (or Ctrl+Q) unloads them both (but of course leaves Evernote Clipper running). That seems unusual, but the reason may be above my paygrade. Anyway, if it ever happens again I'll know what to do.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This surprised me, and I decided to observe the process of quitting EN using Windows Task Manager. I found that just quitting with the X button leaves not only Evernote Clipper but Evernote.exe and EvernoteTray.exe still in memory, while using File -> Exit (or Ctrl+Q) unloads them both (but of course leaves Evernote Clipper running). That seems unusual, but the reason may be above my paygrade. Anyway, if it ever happens again I'll know what to do.

Yes, the X button more or less behaves like "hide window". You need to use File->Exit or Ctrl+Shift+Q to exit.

Archived