Note content disappeared

Hi,

I have a problem. I created a note on my laptop and used Evernote on my Android smartphone. Somehow the content of the note just disappeared. How can I recover the note?

It was a very important business-related note and I really need the information I saved. I can only see the title as of now.

I am using Windows 10 with Evernote 5.9.6.9494 (277494)

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, kaizen502 said:

It was a very important business-related note and I really need the information I saved. I can only see the title as of now.

You can try these options for recovery:

1. Check for your notes in the EN Cloud by using the EN Web client at Evernote.com.
  2. In EN Win, check for new local notebooks with a name something like "Conflicting Notes..."
  3. If you are a Premium account owner, or upgrade to Premium, check the "Note History"
    (click on Note, then goto menu Note > Note History)

In the future, to prevent/minimize issues due to sync:

Although sync, IMO, is one of Evernote's primary features, it still is not as solid or robust as it needs to be.  So, I never rely solely on Evernote to automatically sync.  I always do manual syncs, and I rarely have a sync issue.

I have found the following to be helpful in preventing sync issues:

1. Use multiple short Notes rather than one long Note that has many/frequent edits
  2. It is best to consistently manually sync, and sync often, especially after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important note
    2. End of Session BEFORE you close or put your machine to sleep
    3. End of Day
    4. Start using a different device
      1. Even if you notice the Sync icon spinning on EN iOS when you switch to the app, do a manual sync anyway after it finishes spinning
      2. I have noticed that the initial sync does NOT always do a full sync.
      3. I'm not sure about Android devices, but I would do the same just to be safe.

Thank you guys for your help.

I don't have any notebooks with "Conflicting Notes..." and the search turned out to be negative too. I do not have a Premium subscription with Evernote.

So I need Premium in order to get back my information I trusted Evernote with? Is it possible to get Premium say for a month or so?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Yes you need Premium,  but now that you ask,  I'm not sure how exactly you would set that up. 

See this help page for the general method;  you'd need to choose a monthly-pay option depending on the options that come up.

Edit:  -and while I say 'you need prem' - you do need it to try stepping back to a previous version,  but there's no guarantee your data will be there.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, SteveFromCleve said:

Yesterday this happened to me the 2nd time. This feechur is really a problem. Software should be reliable.

I haven't encountered this (disappearing note content) as a serious problem, but you might consider protecting your data with backups.
I have personal backups and Evernote has a Note History backup feature

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, SteveFromCleve said:

Yesterday this happened to me the 2nd time. This feechur is really a problem. Software should be reliable.

What was happening around the time the information disappeared?

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I haven't encountered this (disappearing note content) as a serious problem, but you might consider protecting your data with backups.
I have personal backups and Evernote has a Note History backup feature

What kind of backup did you have in mind? External to Evernote?

Note history backup -- premium only?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, SteveFromCleve said:

Note history backup -- premium only?

My backups run on my Mac, using Evernote's export feature.  I also have the Mac Time Machine feature that backs up the database

Evernote's Note History backup runs for all accounts, but access to the data is a Premium account feature.  To obtain access, you can subscribe for a single month

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, SteveFromCleve said:

I'm not even sure when it actually disappeared. At some point I needed that note and that's when I noticed it. Can't think of anything unusual that I did.

Well, if premium you can look at note history and see if the dates in their provide any insight.  If not, you can subscribe for a month to have access to note history, as long as the note has not been deleted.  May or may not be worth it to you.

1 hour ago, SteveFromCleve said:

By notebook you can use the Right click on a notebook- Export notes option to create ENEX file backups, .  These can be imported to retrieve notes.  For me these work best for accidentally deleted notes.  Premium works best for accidentally deleted content (a factor of the currency of note history versus my backups).  FWIW.

9 hours ago, CalS said:

Well, if premium you can look at note history and see if the dates in their provide any insight.  If not, you can subscribe for a month to have access to note history, as long as the note has not been deleted.  May or may not be worth it to you.

By notebook you can use the Right click on a notebook- Export notes option to create ENEX file backups, .  These can be imported to retrieve notes.  For me these work best for accidentally deleted notes.  Premium works best for accidentally deleted content (a factor of the currency of note history versus my backups).  FWIW.

Thanks. Both points were helpful. 

Does anybody in the know have any idea if Evernote is planning on fixing this or if they at least have some idea what environments cause it. Data loss is up there with the bad bugs. (I work in software.) The premium suggested is a workaround at best but would have the same problem, from what I understand from the above.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, SteveFromCleve said:

Does anybody in the know have any idea if Evernote is planning on fixing this or if they at least have some idea what environments cause it. Data loss is up there with the bad bugs. (I work in software.) The premium suggested is a workaround at best but would have the same problem, from what I understand from the above.

It would help if you could provide more details on how the note content was lost.

Generally, the editing/syncing seems to work well.  Issues do occur occasionally, but Evernote has fixed them

I'm satisfied with the product, but I also make sure my data is backed up and I can recover any data loss (caused by me, Evernote or the data loss gremlins)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, SteveFromCleve said:

Per @DTLow, EN needs some breadcrumbs to back track to the root cause, anywhere from accidental user error to application error.  Don't know if an EN employee will respond to your question.

I only experienced data loss in one case.  In a release I think some time this year, when you deleted a note open in its own window another note actually got deleted.  Breadcrumbs were provided for that one and the issue was fixed.  It was a PITA though, for sure.  Other than that I haven't had any data loss that I can recall (know about).  

• 1 month later...

I don't use Evernote as often as I used to, but do keep some master lists on it. This is the second time that I've seen a note disappear before my eyes (title stays there, but content disappears and is blank from both my computer and iPhone--the only two devices that use my evernote account). I saw my note with content there when Evernote launched, but by the time I clicked on it to read my list, the content was gone and replaced with a blank page and the note as being saved today. My phone was sitting next to me, so no way that it was an accident synced from my phone. I may join Premium for just a month to see if I can recover my note history, but it's not worth doing if that note history wasn't active when i was a Basic member. This is really irritating. It happened to me once last year (on a similar, but different note), and I chalked it up to being some sort of glitch. It happening again is really frustrating. 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, jstaffordphoto said:

I may join Premium for just a month to see if I can recover my note history, but it's not worth doing if that note history wasn't active when i was a Basic member.

Evernote's Note History backup service is running all the time, for all accounts

It backs up several times a day
I have my own personal backups, but they only run once a day

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, joemammanotes said:

I launched the web app via Google Chrome. All my notes from Android device are there, but only the titles for each note is showing. None of the actual note content is showing?

Really bizarre.  Any help is appreciated.

From other posts in the forum there is an issue accessing EN through Chrome, something to do with ad blockers.  Either disable those or use FireFox or equivalent.

Archived