Evernote for Mac 6.1 Beta 2 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We just released Evernote for Mac 6.1 Beta 2.  We have released this to the entire public beta group.  We’re really close to shipping this version so it’s pretty stable but let us know if you find any issues.    Beta 1 had the following fixes:

• A fix for users who run both Evernote for Windows and Mac and encrypt text on Windows with blank lines or tables in them.
  • A fix for Lion users who are seeing weird selection issues after deleting text.
  • A printing fix where text would get cut off on the right side of the note.
  • A number of bug fixes in presentation mode.
In Beta 2 we’ve added some additional fixes:

• Fixed an issue where copying and pasting text that started with “{“ would fail.  I think this was impacting a bunch our customers who were also programmers. 
  • Fixed an issue on the sidebar where shortcuts, notebooks and tags would always be expanded no matter what they set them to after a relaunch.
  • Fixed some visual items in card view where attachments would look truncated and sometimes the cards would look blurry if using both a retina display Mac and a non-retina monitor.
  • Fixed an odd sync issue where some people would get into an infinite sync mode and using the app would get really slow and the app would hang.
  • Continued to fix crashing issues.
There are some new things as well. 

• The most obvious one is we’ve made the sidebar dark to better differentiate the sections.  If you’ve grown accustomed to the Yosemite style light sidebar you can keep it.  Just select the View : Sidebar Options menu and select Use Light Sidebar.  Let us know if you like the dark sidebar.
  • Business users will now be required to use the new notebook view.  This is to help improve differentiation between business and personal content but also we allow you to search for notebooks that you haven’t joined.
  • We’ve also changed the way business tags work.  In the past we displayed all business tags.  Now we are only going to display the business tags of notes that you have access to.  This has already been incredibly helpful here at Evernote where we have a bazillion tags.
  • Also new in this release is a way to rate the quality of the Evernote for Mac product.  We’ll automatically prompt a small select group of you each release but if you’d like to rate the product you can always go to the Evernote menu and select Rate Evernote for Mac.  These ratings are sent back to our service and will be used as a way to track the overall quality of the Mac product for each release both here in the US and across the world with the goal of improving the product and the ratings overtime.
  • Finally, we’ve completely overhauled the underlying technology we use for our communication and collaboration features.  There might be some setbacks that occur whenever one makes this large of a change but overall we’re noticing it’s more stable and reliable. 
Here’s a link to download the 6.1 Beta 2 release.  Please give it a try and let us know if you find any issues.  For those of you that are Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8) users, please try this beta out.  This will be your last release so lets make sure that note editing is in really good shape before we call 6.1 done.   What this means is you'll be able to use Evernote for Mac 6.1 indefinitely but you won't be able to upgrade to newer versions of Evernote that we release.  

35 replies to this idea

EN Mac Ver 6.1 Beta 2 crash when launching. Actually after updating the database so I am unable to open the database with version 6.0.16.

Any beta 3??

:huh:

Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010)

BUG REPORT:  Filtering by Notebook or Tag is Very Slow

EN Mac Ver 6.1 Beta 2 (NEW Bug)

JMichael, are you seeing this slowness on all your Macs or possibly only the one with the tag issue.  I'm not able to reproduce this problem.  Anyone else seeing this?  By the way, nice animated GIFs. They are awesome.

JMichael, are you seeing this slowness on all your Macs or possibly only the one with the tag issue.  I'm not able to reproduce this problem.  Anyone else seeing this?

It's not happening on the new test update you let me download, Marcus. And CPU levels are fine.

• Level 5*

JMichael, are you seeing this slowness on all your Macs or possibly only the one with the tag issue.  I'm not able to reproduce this problem.  Anyone else seeing this?  By the way, nice animated GIFs. They are awesome.

Yes, I am seeing this same behavior on two Macs, both running Yosemite.

I'll see if the update for tags fixes this.

I've tried some extensive testing of filtering by notebook and tag.  To begin with everything was normal.  Throughout the response was immediate – filtering happened straight after clicking on tag/notebook.  Peak CPU usage was ~10 or 20%.  That was using top list and snippet views.

I then thought I'd mix it up by changing views.  Changed to extended card view… problems emerged.  Then I got the funky highlighted tag / notebook names in sidebar. I even peaked the CPU usage at 140% (but it didn't stay there long).  However, the responses were still immediate.  The highlighted tags etc has persisted with my change of view back to snippet.  

Want an activity log?

• Level 5*

I updated my MBA-13-2 (that was used in the above tests) with the update for tag fix, and unfortunately there is still about a 3-4 sec lag when using the NB or Tag filters, from when I click on the icon in the Sidebar until the results are shown in the Note list.

However, the CPU usage doesn't really spike that much, going up very briefly to only 50-70%.

I've tried some extensive testing of filtering by notebook and tag.  To begin with everything was normal.  Throughout the response was immediate – filtering happened straight after clicking on tag/notebook.  Peak CPU usage was ~10 or 20%.  That was using top list and snippet views.

I then thought I'd mix it up by changing views.  Changed to extended card view… problems emerged.  Then I got the funky highlighted tag / notebook names in sidebar. I even peaked the CPU usage at 140% (but it didn't stay there long).  However, the responses were still immediate.  The highlighted tags etc has persisted with my change of view back to snippet.  

Want an activity log?

Thanks for the great testing.  I think we've got the multi-tag issue nailed.  2 people who saw it before report that the new build I sent them fixed the issue.  We'll have to see about the slowness.  It's interesting you bring up the different note list views.  I think card view is the most CPU intensive because we have to render the image and could be a potential issue.  JMicheal, what note list view do you run in?

• Level 5*

JMicheal, what note list view do you run in?

I was using the Left Side List view in the testing I reported on earlier.

In this last test (after the update for tags) I was using the Snippet view.

Same lag in both views.

I am noticing strange behavior occurring with tag highlighting.

After our discussion of this issue with the previous beta, I am finding that tags previously selected become highlighted AFTER I go back to selecting all Notes. The tags are not highlighted when I select them – only when I return to Notes!

Each new selection of a tag leads to a build-up of highlighted tags so that several remain highlighted when I return to selecting Notes.

This orphaned highlighting occurs in both Light and Dark Sidebar views.

I am not seeing this behavior on Yosemite 10.10.3 using EN Mac 6.1 Beta 2 on a MBA-13, laptop screen.

I was previously running Beta 1, and just upgraded tonight to Beta 2.

Update:  Tag Highlight Bug Confirmed on a Different Mac

I can now confirm this bug after installing Ver 6.1 Beta 2 on a different Mac.

It's actually worse for me than @trumpetg described.

Thanks.  We found the issue and fixed it.  trumpetg has confirmed that it's working for their system.  I'll send you a link to try.

EN Mac Ver 6.1 Beta 2 crash when launching. Actually after updating the database so I am unable to open the database with version 6.0.16.

Any beta 3??

:huh:

MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010)

This sounds like an application or database corruption and has nothing to do with the actual release so the quick way to fix this is to first try to download 6.1 again from here and try to launch it again.  If this doesn't work then you can delete your database as long as you don't have local notebooks.  I've sent you a direct message and can help you get setup again.  The question I'd like to better understand is how your database became corrupted.  Can you tell me more about the upgrade process?  Were you ever able to ever launch 6.1.  I don't think it would just launch and crash.  That's not something we've heard of happening very often unless the upgraded app was corrupted.  Are you switching from App Store to direct download?  Any more information around the upgrade process would be helpful to better understand where the corruption occurred.  

Thank you VERY much for listening to users and fixing the white sidebar issue.  I have lived with the snow-blinding white on my MBA for months and didn't update my iMac version in order to retain the old build (grey) color scheme - now I can finally update it!  Thanks a lot.

JMichael and my team have been working on this issue together and I think it's now solved.  We definitely had an issue.  JMichael, thanks for spotting it early and working with us to fix the problem.

I just installed this version and found the following: Whenever I click on a Tag in the side bar, the screen immediately jumps up all the way to the top. As I have many note books and tags (my evernote is organized mainly by tags & nested tags). This is very irritating, as this means I need to scroll down all the way again to get back to the tags in the side bar. Mind you, the notes related to the chosen tag are shown nonetheless. I am running a MacBookPro latest software version.

I just installed this version and found the following: Whenever I click on a Tag in the side bar, the screen immediately jumps up all the way to the top. As I have many note books and tags (my evernote is organized mainly by tags & nested tags). This is very irritating, as this means I need to scroll down all the way again to get back to the tags in the side bar. Mind you, the notes related to the chosen tag are shown nonetheless. I am running a MacBookPro latest software version.

Is anyone else seeing this?  We can't reproduce it.  I know of one more case of this issue but we're trying to figure out how many people are affected.

Is anyone else seeing this?  We can't reproduce it.  I know of one more case of this issue but we're trying to figure out how many people are affected.

OK.  I think we found the issue.  One has to have nested tags expanded on the sidebar.  If you click on a notebook first and then click on one of the nested tags also in the sidebar, the sidebar will jump.  We're working on a fix now.

OK.  I think we found the issue.  One has to have nested tags expanded on the sidebar.  If you click on a notebook first and then click on one of the nested tags also in the sidebar, the sidebar will jump.  We're working on a fix now.

I just heard back from both of our customers who ran into the tag jumping issue.  They tried our release candidate with the fix and it now works for both of them.  We're probably going to start rolling out the 6.1 release to a few people in a few hours.  If you'd like to give the official release an early try you can download it here.

I was so disappointed for the new version. The home page of the notizbook changed totally. It´s really inconvenient to use comparing the old version.

We have more than 50 of notebooks, in the old version with short description it´s really easy to find the right notiz and notizbook. 

But this version is a long long page for us. Too bad!

Can we changed the style of the notizbook as the old short one?

I've tried restarting EN and am still seeing the behavior I reported. Not just tags but even tag folders remain highlighted after I return to Notes.

trumpetg thanks so much for reporting this issue.  Our developer looked at the sidebar code and may have found a way this could happen.   He's investigating a fix.  

Thank you for the new beta, Marcus.

After our discussion of this issue with the previous beta, I am finding that tags previously selected become highlighted AFTER I go back to selecting all Notes. The tags are not highlighted when I select them – only when I return to Notes!

Each new selection of a tag leads to a build-up of highlighted tags so that several remain highlighted when I return to selecting Notes.

Here is a screenshot of what's occurring:

post-60512-0-96467100-1439520389_thumb.j

Can you add a screenshot?  I'm not sure I fully understand what you're seeing.  I don't think I've ever seen something like that.  Also, what version of Mac OS are you using and possibly the video card might be helpful to know.  Thanks.

I hope I'm not the only one seeing this!

If it is a bug it's a nice bug, a sort of cuddly buglet – it's heading toward the behavior many of us have been asking for, i.e. selected tag highlighting.

• Level 5*

I am not seeing this behavior on Yosemite 10.10.3 using EN Mac 6.1 Beta 2 on a MBA-13, laptop screen.

The steps I took:

1. Show the Left Sidebar, using dark background.
  2. Click on a Tag in the Sidebar to filter the notes
    1. Tag briefly highlights
    2. Notes are filtered
  3. Click on another Tag
    1. Tag briefly highlights
    2. Filter is changed to this tag
  4. Click on Notes label in the Sidebar, or press ⌘⇧A to select ALL Notes
  5. No tags are highlighted.

I went through the above process 4 times.  Same result each time.

• Level 5

trumpetg thanks so much for reporting this issue.  Our developer looked at the sidebar code and may have found a way this could happen.   He's investigating a fix.

Hi Marcus,

I can reproduce the problem as well. It is not restricted to tags but covers the whole sidebar including notebooks and looks quite strange.

Often more than one entry is selected and if you click on another entry others might become selected but never the one you click on. You can see the effect here: https://youtu.be/kJIIPmGilr0

Glad to be of service, Marcus. And thank you for the speedy response.

I tried restarting my Mac and this highlight behavior is still happening.

(What would be really nice is if your developer didn't find a fix but extended the highlighting bug so that a tag IS highlighted when it is in fact selected. :P )

• Level 5*

JM, a tag folder is just a collection of stacked tags arranged under a mother tag, or grande mėre taguette as the French like to call it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Your "tag folder" is often referred to as the "Parent Tag", and your "stacked tags" as the "tag hierarchy", or "child tags".

Evernote doesn't have anything they call "folder", so that term can be confusing.   :)

• Level 5*

Update:  Tag Highlight Bug Confirmed on a Different Mac

I can now confirm this bug after installing Ver 6.1 Beta 2 on a different Mac.

It's actually worse for me than @trumpetg described.

The behavior I'm seeing now:

1. After clicking on a Tag, it highlights briefly, then a different Tag is highlighted, and it stays on.
  2. Clicking multiple Tags, one after another, causes multiple other Tags to be highlighted
  3. After Tag Filter is cleared (by clicking on the ❌ on the Filter), multiple Tags remain highlighted. 
  4. The worst problem, IMO, is that it is now taking 2-3 seconds for the Note list to show the results of the filter.
    1. In EN Mac 6.0.11, the filtered list showed almost instantaneously, < 1 sec.
    2. See video at bottom showing EN Mac 6.0.11 tag filter behavior

Here's a video (animated GIF actually) of EN Mac 6.1 Beta 2

EN-Mac-61-B2-Tag-Highlight-V4.gif

Video of EN Mac 6.0.11 Using Tag Filter

(this is much faster than 6.1 Beta 2)

Test-EN-Mac-6011-Tag-Filter.gif

• Level 5*

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Display Left Sidebar