Evernote for Mac 6.0.9 Beta - New Notebook View

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

In the beta we've turned on the new notebook view by default.  If you don't like it you can always turn it off by going to Preferences \ Software Update and unchecking the "Enable Advanced notebook view" checkbox but we hope you give it a try.  This is the forum post where we'd like for you to post your feedback.  We are not planning to ship this new notebook view to customers in 6.0.9 but wanted to give beta users an early look to help us work through the issues and address people's concerns.  Thanks again for contributing to the Evernote community.

UPDATE: There were a number of questions regarding if we incorporated any of the feedback from the previous forum post and the answer is no.  We focused on fixing bugs.  I'm now pulling together all of the feedback so please keep it coming.  Thanks again.

12 replies to this idea

Please, please enable the user permanently (and not only for the beta period) to disable the "advanced" view because it is a huge loss of functionality with my use of EN on the Imac. It may be favourable under different conditions, with smaller screens, but for "regular" screens it is no improvement, in the contrary.

Thx, EvB

In the beta we've turned on the new notebook view by default.  If you don't like it you can always turn it off by going to Preferences \ Software Update and unchecking the "Enable Advanced notebook view" checkbox but we hope you give it a try.  This is the forum post where we'd like for you to post your feedback.  We are not planning to ship this new notebook view to customer in 6.0.9 but wanted to give beta users an early look to help us work through the issues and address people's concerns.  Thanks again for contributing to the Evernote community.

I do not like this view... it looks elementary.  Not being able to see all of my notebooks at once is frustrating.  I certainly wouldn't call it "advanced" nor nave it as a default view.  I tried training a colleague on Evernote recently who was using a PC, and that is what her view looked like, and it was very frustrating trying to explain things to her... she hated it when she saw the way mine looked.  BUT if I was able to uncheck that view and go back to the other view, perhaps that is a possibility on a PC as well... I just figured that was the way Evernote looked on a PC.  I'll check on that.

On another note, I would recommend bringing back the shaded stacks... it can be difficult to see all of my stacks at times because they are the same color as my notebooks.  If I've just been missing that option, then my apologies for bringing it up.. but they were shaded at one time and now they aren't; I don't know where to change that.

I'm disappointed that there is still a lot of lag on Evernote on my MacBook Pro Retina.

The note list itself does not lag, but the sidebar and the note view/editor lags to the point where I do not use Evernote anymore because of this issue.

This is my MacBook Pro with Retina Display - 2014

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP111.0138.B14

SMC Version (system): 2.16f68

I've attached a video demonstrating the lag:

I do not like it, I prefer the old "basic" view, since it allows me to visually get the layout of my notebooks. I suppose if I had a laptop with a small screen that it might save space, but I don't have that issue.

Please allow us to switch it back if we don't want to use it.

I'm so glad I can switch back to my used view. The "improved new" view was a big disappointment to me! It's less graphical and thus less intuitive. Massively reducing one of Evernote's big strengths: intuitiveness! Please, please, keep it the old way! And also bring back colors/shading - that makes the thing so much more intuitive.

Thanks Marcus  I reverted to the previous notebook view; I am posting just in case you don't collect information on our preferences. Actually, I'd like to be able to customize the notebook view adding colors to the notebooks in the "non-improved view".

I agree with the foregoing comments on the "new and improved" view. Either drop it or make it easier to change back.

I'm sure people worked hard on it and did so for good reasons, but it is a step backward both in appearance and in functionality, at least in relation to how I and my colleagues use EN. Knowing your reasons for the change might help. Taking away the button that makes changing the view simple and intuitive, and instead hiding it on the 'software update' preference tab--which by the way seems to have no relationship to display appearance, and is therefore also counter-intuitive--is a pretty user-vicious way of making this or any other change.

I also agree with the fellow who asked about shading for stacks. Not a big deal for me, but it would help.

As long as I'm venting: what's the deal with the VAST difference between the desktop and web versions? The web is nice and clean...too clean! Not enough cues to know where to go to do what. I'm an experienced EN user and I train other users in our business. I navigate the web interface only when I have to, and with some loss of speed and efficiency. I have told my colleagues to stay away from it until they are much more experienced. They're having a hard enough time learning a new app; asking them to use the web interface is like having to learn TWO at the same time. The next big mistake EN developers might make is to conform the existing desktop UI to the web version; please say it won't happen!

I really dislike this change, simply because I can no longer get a quick overview of my Notebooks/Stacks. I certainly don't understand what's so advanced about it, and would like to second the suggestion made above, that someone from Evernote explain the thinking behind it. 

Is this how the Notebook View is going to be in future versions? As has been mentioned, the option to turn it off is hidden away in a user-hostile way, but referring to it as 'advanced' kind of suggests that there is an alternative (which would be the old layout). Presumably you will move the option to toggle the layout to somewhere a user would expect to find it?

I feel the same way as the rest of the people posting above. it's such a waste of space as a power user. If I was a beginner level user, yes, maybe I'd see the appeal of it. But I'm used to having my entire folder structure in full view in one glance.  Now you are making me scroll down to find something thus making what was effortless, effortful. 

Archived