EN for home inventory

Brian H

• Level 5*

Yes, I do, but it's quite simple.

I have a "template" (in my Templates NB) that I just copy to my Personal NB when I buy something.

I created the template using MS Word table that has all of the "fields" I want to record for each item.

And then I tag it appropriately.  The template already has the standard "asset" tags that I use.  I just remove any of these tags that are not relevant for a particular item.

I include an image (usually from online), but you could scan or take a snapshot, like I have done for some jewelry items.

I include links to Manuf. web page and Vendor web page where available.

If I bought it online, I include link to the order page.

The biggest thing missing from a dedicated Home Inventory app is doing any type of math, like summing total dollars.

• Level 5

Evernote is great for recording purchase dates, product description, prices, serial numbers, warranty info.

To give more credence to this information, I take a few videos (room by room) as I walk through my house. I burn them to a CD and store them in my bank safe deposit box. I try to do an updated video on an annual basis. 

• Level 5*

JB, great point about videos.

I recently discovered that I can shoot short videos on my iPhone that have fairly small file sizes for videos.

While there is no direct way to upload these videos from my iPhone Photos albums (that I can see), I have found and use an iPhone app called "WiFi Transfer" that makes it very easy to transfer the videos to my Mac, and then I can attach to Evernote.

The EN Mac preview works great on these videos, opening the video in Mac Preview quickly.

Now that Premium account owners have a monthly allowance of 4GB with 100MB Note size, uploading these videos to Evernote is no problem.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
On 2015-01-30 at 오전 8시 49분, JMichaelTX said:

The biggest thing missing from a dedicated Home Inventory app is doing any type of math, like summing total dollars

Just wondering if anyone had a solution for doing math stuff

My solution is to include the $ in the title where it can be easily parsed.  
I then export to a spreadsheet (Excel) to work the numbers and produce summary reports

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, DTLow said:

Just wondering if anyone had a solution for doing math stuff

My solution is to include the $ in the title where it can be easily parsed.  

I don't know of anything better.

You could use AppleScript to search for all asset notes (using a tag), parse the title into description and price, and then build a new note with a table listing the assets and a total at the bottom.

Alternatively, you could have a master Excel file outside of Evernote, but with a EN Master Asset Note with a link to the excel file.

Then your AppleScript could just update this Excel file.

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2015 at 10:50 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Here's a screen shot of my template.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT:  2017-07-06  10:33 PM CT

Here's a EN Public Link to my Note Template for this:  Share Link
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asset-Template.png

This is a great template! Thank you for sharing.

Archived