Can I make Evernote stop searching as I'm typing?

volkspider

So Evernote does this thing that's really frustrating and I'm wondering if there's any way to make it stop. When I click in the search bar and start typing, the first two letters appear and then the program hangs for 4-8 seconds as it searches, then it finishes searching and the rest of the text I typed appears. I hate this! I would prefer that Evernote let me type in the search bar and not start the search until I hit enter. Is it possible to make the client do that?

• Level 5

I understand your concerns. It is aggravating. Mine hangs for 2 to 4 seconds. I've complained about this in the past.

There is no way to avoid that programming stutter that I know.

My two work-around solutions are:

1.) Turn my head away from the monitor, ignore the pause and continue typing (and hope I typed correctly)

or

2.) For more complex searches, I create it in Notepad, then copy and paste into Evernote. The benefit of this is that I can easily modify the search because the original version is stored temporarily outside of Evernote.

• Level 5*

According to this post, there's a registry setting that should work: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26477-request-2-simple-search-options/?p=141919. This was for the previous version 4 Windows client. However, the recommended setting of 0 doesn't appear to work in version 5, but if you set it to a very high number, say 5000 (from its default of 50), this will make the delay a lot longer, so it appears to serve a similar effect, according to my limited testing. Search will take place if you hit Enter.

No guarantees, but it's worth a try...

According to this post, there's a registry setting that should work: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26477-request-2-simple-search-options/?p=141919. This was for the previous version 4 Windows cient. However, the recommended setting of 0 doesn't appear to work in version 5, but if you set it to a very high number, say 5000 (from its default of 50), this will make the delay a lot longer, so it appears to serve a similar effect, according to my limited testing. Search will take place if you hit Enter.

Works for me. I have had it set to 0 since 4, and now with 5 it still works.

• Level 5*

According to this post, there's a registry setting that should work: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26477-request-2-simple-search-options/?p=141919. This was for the previous version 4 Windows cient. However, the recommended setting of 0 doesn't appear to work in version 5, but if you set it to a very high number, say 5000 (from its default of 50), this will make the delay a lot longer, so it appears to serve a similar effect, according to my limited testing. Search will take place if you hit Enter.

Maybe it does -- I did a complete shutdown of Evernote, set the registry setting to 0, fired up Evernote, and it didn't work. Shut it down again, and when Ilooked, the registry setting was set to 50 again. Still not sure why that wouldn't have worked, but I did the exact same thing again, only with a new registry setting of 5000 (I think that measurement's in 1/100th of a second, to 50 seconds), and it all worked great. Shut it down a third time, and the value persisted. Go figure...

• Level 5*

So Evernote does this thing that's really frustrating and I'm wondering if there's any way to make it stop. When I click in the search bar and start typing, the first two letters appear and then the program hangs for 4-8 seconds as it searches, then it finishes searching and the rest of the text I typed appears. I hate this! I would prefer that Evernote let me type in the search bar and not start the search until I hit enter. Is it possible to make the client do that?

I completely agree -- this incremental searching does NOT help, and in fact gets in the way of completing a search quickly.

This behavior is not only in the EN Win client, but also in the EN Mac client.

There have been many, many complaints about this behavior, but so far Evernote has refused to make any changes to the UI and/or settings/preferences.

At the very least, many of us would greatly appreciate a UI setting/preference to turn OFF this behavior, in BOTH EN Win and EN Mac.

• Level 5*

The registry setting change works for me as well in 5.  It was the first change I made when I went from 4 to 5.

I wonder if the hang time is affected by my hardware.

I'm running Evernote on an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 at 3.16GHz.

The hang is affected by hardware, your database size and content (I suspect), and how much other stuff you have running at the time.  I was first using v4 on a three year old laptop with 2GB memory.  Search delays were painful.  Upgrading to 4 GB helped and also optimizing the database seems to help.  Still I eventually turned off SearchAsYouTypeDelay.  The delay was worse with v5 so I turned it off.  I also was having occasional extreme delays (>30 secs) when I updated note titles.  

I recently received a new peppy laptop with 8 GB memory and search delays are now acceptable to me and I like the v5 search changes so I have turned the registry key back on.  The note title delays are mostly gone now too.

I do agree though that this change should be in the UI, or at least in the debug menu, for those that don't like to tinker with their registry.

According to this post, there's a registry setting that should work: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26477-request-2-simple-search-options/?p=141919. This was for the previous version 4 Windows client. However, the recommended setting of 0 doesn't appear to work in version 5, but if you set it to a very high number, say 5000 (from its default of 50), this will make the delay a lot longer, so it appears to serve a similar effect, according to my limited testing. Search will take place if you hit Enter.

Ahh, this worked for me! Thanks!

And thank you to everyone else for their input. (I liked the "just look away" suggestion, haha)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm still having issues that *may* be related to search but maybe not exclusively--my issue is the dreaded "Not Responding" hang.  Previously I "fixed" most of it with a registry hack to make the interval between searches very long, effectively disabling "search as you type" (i.e. there was a registry setting that  but since updating to Windows 10 I'm having lots of crashes.  Just checked and the registry value was no longer 0, so I reset to 0.  Will report back.

Archived