(Archived) REQUEST: 2 simple search options

Jeminar

Can we have the following two options added which control search behaviour on the Windows Note Search box.

1. Only perform search on enter (or click of the magnifying glass)

My work computer is *****. Every letter press takes about 5 seconds while it reloads appropriate notes. Can we have an option to disable search-as-you-type?

2. Search includes OCR; can that be disabled?

I tag everything very well, but end up with far too many results because Evernote's greedy results of OCR findings dominate. Can we have an option to exclude OCR findings from search results? My handwriting is so bad than even Evernote's great OCR is rarely better than random.

thaks,

Justin Rolfe

London UK.

• Level 5*

I agree the long...pauses...when...you...enter...search terms are annoying - but you can set up your search term(s) in a note and paste the whole phrase into the search box, and tag searches are easy; search tag:expenses to exclude any random use of the word "expenses"

• Level 5*

Can we have the following two options added which control search behaviour on the Windows Note Search box.

1. Only perform search on enter (or click of the magnifying glass)

My work computer is *****. Every letter press takes about 5 seconds while it reloads appropriate notes. Can we have an option to disable search-as-you-type?

I tag everything very well, but end up with far too many results because Evernote's greedy results of OCR findings dominate. Can we have an option to exclude OCR findings from search results? My handwriting is so bad than even Evernote's great OCR is rarely better than random.

thaks,

Justin Rolfe

London UK.

hi. regarding the instant search, i have been lobbying for months to get rid of this, or at least make it an option. so far, they think it is user friendly :) i have had no success yet. so, until i can convince them that interminable lags are actually user un-friendly...

saved searches (see gazumped's post for an idea about how to structure them) are a true blessing. you'll definitely want to do this once you have a few thousand notes, because you'll be sitting there for ages, especially if you accidentally type in something incorrectly.

• Level 5

Jeminar and GrumpyMonkey,

After revision 254440 (v4.5.7 beta3 and later) Evernote Windows client loads search-as-you-type delay time from registry value HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay which by default is set to 50 milliseconds. If you change this value to 0, search-as-you-type feature will be completely disabled, so you'll have to press Enter or click the Search button at the right of the search entry field to start search.

Please make sure you shut down Evernote with File/Exit before changing the application registry.

/Peter

• Level 5*

After revision 254440 (v4.5.7 beta3 and later) Evernote Windows client loads search-as-you-type delay time from registry value HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay which by default is set to 50 milliseconds. If you change this value to 0, search-as-you-type feature will be completely disabled, so you'll have to press Enter or click the Search button at the right of the search entry field to start search.

Please make sure you shut down Evernote with File/Exit before changing the application registry.

/Peter

That is wonderful news! Thank you so much for posting with that. I will be sure to link to this in the future so that other users can benefit from it.

The bad news? I am on the Mac client. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that most of my requested features for the Mac version already exist in Windows. Now, I can add another one to the list. I would gladly migrate back to Windows from Mac if you could figure out one thing for me: how can I type macrons (ā, ī, ū, ē, ō)?

I need them for my research, and there is no global setting (that I know of) on Windows. In Word, of course, you can set special characters with keyboard shortcuts, and it works great. But, everywhere else it doesn't. This was such a problem for me that I changed to Mac about this time last year, and it has been smooth-sailing ever since. I have nothing against Windows. In fact, I quite like it. But, I just couldn't get my work done very efficiently.

At this point, I don't really care much about using macrons anywhere else in Windows. I pretty much only use Evernote these days on the laptop. As long as I can get them when I use Evernote, I am great. Do you know of any way? I have tried the unicode key codes, but to no avail...

• Level 5

GrumpyMonkey,

I'm not aware of any generic way of entering those special characters in Windows. It may be possible to create them using one of those keyboard enhancement utilities.

BTW, how is it supported on the Mac?

/Peter

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey,

I'm not aware of any generic way of entering those special characters in Windows. It may be possible to create them using one of those keyboard enhancement utilities.

BTW, how is it supported on the Mac?

/Peter

Hi. Thanks for the response. I'm still looking for a viable software option. On the Mac, it is easy: alt+a and then type the letter you want. It works the same with an external keyboard on the iPad (with the Extended US keyboard activated).

• Level 5

GrumpyMonkey,

On Windows there used to be a method that allowed you to enter Unicode character code using numeric pad while holding down Alt key. However, on modern notebook keyboards it does not seem to work consistently.

/Peter

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey,

On Windows there used to be a method that allowed you to enter Unicode character code using numeric pad while holding down Alt key. However, on modern notebook keyboards does not seem to work consistently.

/Peter

Thanks! I have tried that as well. Using the numeric keypad on my 17" laptop even. No joy. It is such a small thing, and obviously not one that many users would need (I think you'll see the macrons in romanization of Japanese, Chinese (when inserting tones), Maori, and Latin). Still, it is something needed, so you would think Windows would have it :(

Nice addition, will be sure to test, though I don't have as many notes as some, so may not see much of a difference. :)

Everyone seems to have glossed over the other question though ;)

For 2, I think recoType would be the right search operator. (or rather negating it, by putting a minus sign before it)

i.e. -recotype:* Should remove all recognition data from the search, if I understand the use of this one correctly.

That said, I cannot make that search term work at all.. (in the windows client or web) so I am not sure whether it is actually what you would want.

I guess that resource: may help, but it could result in some correct results missing, since it will not include any notes containing the specified resource in the search.

More info on all of the search terms can be found in the Evernote Search API Documentation:

http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/search_grammar.php

GrumpyMonkey, I think you could do it with AHK, though you would have to write it yourself. You would also need the Unicode version of AHK_L

I guess there are some other applications out there that could do it, what they are though, is beyond me...

Edit: See other thread :)

• Level 5*

/Peter

Thanks Peter.

Please add as a Option setting, and pass on to the EN Mac team so we can enjoy this very helpful option on the Mac.

• Level 5*

/Peter

Thanks Peter.

Please add as a Option setting, and pass on to the EN Mac team so we can enjoy this very helpful option on the Mac.

Window shopping Windows machines today (pun intended). Hoping this auto hotkey thing will do the trick! I love the idea of gaining control over my searches again with no instant search and search explanations :)

• Level 5*

Window shopping Windows machines today (pun intended).

The new, all-powerful, 2012 MacBooks are due out within the next month or so.

Lighter, faster, better . . . ;)

@kvitekp

How do I get this beta? I selected beta downloads, and checked for update, and the latest version downloaded was 4.5.7.7033 (254164) Prerelease.

Many thanks,

Justin

@justin

Beta 3 has not been released yet. Peter announced a source change. 254440 is the RCS commit number.

@GM

An alternative is VMWARE plus Windows on your Mac. May also require a RAM upgrade.

• Level 5

After revision 254606 (which will be released with v4.5.7 beta 3) Evernote Windows client allows you to exclude recognized info from full text search index: setting registry values HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/DontSearchImgRecoInfo, DontSearchInkRecoInfo and DontSearchPDFRecoInfo prevents indexing of the image OCR info, ink notes written text recognizer info and scanned PDF image recognizer info respectively. Note that changing these registry entries does not affect existing full text search index, the change will only affect newly created or updated notes. In order to update existing recognized index entries you will need to rebuild full text search index: start Evernote with /DebugMenu command option and choose [Debug]/Reindex Database (this may take a while on large databases).

/Peter

• Level 5*

After revision 254606 (which will be released with v4.5.7 beta 3) Evernote Windows client allows you to exclude recognized info from full text search index: setting registry values HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/DontSearchImgRecoInfo, DontSearchInkRecoInfo and DontSearchPDFRecoInfo prevents indexing of the image OCR info, ink notes written text recognizer info and scanned PDF image recognizer info respectively. Note that changing these registry entries does not affect existing full text search index, the change will only affect newly created or updated notes. In order to update existing recognized index entries you will need to rebuild full text search index: start Evernote with /DebugMenu command option and choose [Debug]/Reindex Database (this may take a while on large databases).

/Peter

This is very nice to have, but having to change the Windows Registry every time I want to do a specific search minimizes its usability.

It also appears that we would have to reindex after every Registry toggle -- this really takes away its usability.

What we really need, on ALL platforms, is a Search operator that excludes any type of attachment. Maybe something like NoOCR: or exclude:OCR or exclude:attachments

Thanks.

Evernoted, but, I think this is a bad change. It introduces a search inconsistency between the Windows client and all other clients.

Will definitely NOT be using this feature.

• Level 5*
It introduces a search inconsistency between the Windows client and all other clients.

That's a good point. I generally think that options that affect search should be part of the search grammar, so that they can be captured in saved searches.

• Level 5*

Evernoted, but, I think this is a bad change. It introduces a search inconsistency between the Windows client and all other clients.

That's another good reason to make it be part of the Search grammar instead of a Registry change.

/Peter

Tested, and it works. I didn't see any lag myself before, but I think I may prefer it (set to 0) since the view is not changing as I search.

• 3 weeks later...

/Peter

Thanks Peter -- that was precisely the behaviour I wanted to achieve, and it worked as soon as I got 4.5.7 on my computer. Truly appreciate that you made the effort to read the post and give the concise and proper answer that was a 100% match to the question.

• Level 5

I would gladly migrate back to Windows from Mac if you could figure out one thing for me: how can I type macrons (ā, ī, ū, ē, ō)?

Not sure if someone else already mentioned it or not, but I use AutoHotKey_L for this. For example, here's a simple AHK script that I whipped up that should type a 'ē' when you press ALT+SHIFT+E, a 'ū' when you do ALT+SHIFT+U and so on...

#SingleInstance force
#NoEnv
#Warn
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
Menu, Tray, Tip, Macrons

; macrons (modifiers: ^ctrl / !alt / +shift / #win / *wildcard / <!=leftAlt / >!=rightAlt)
+!a::ā
+!i::ī
+!u::ū
+!e::ē
+!o::ō

Just copy and paste that into Notepad, save it as "Macrons.ahk" and make sure to save it with UTF-8 encoding (that's important otherwise those characters will be mangled)

A4par.png

Double-click the .ahk file to start the utility. Let me know if that works -- it should work system-wide.

• Level 5*

I would gladly migrate back to Windows from Mac if you could figure out one thing for me: how can I type macrons (ā, ī, ū, ē, ō)?

Not sure if someone else already mentioned it or not, but I use AutoHotKey_L for this. For example, here's a simple AHK script that I whipped up that should type a 'ē' when you press ALT+SHIFT+E, a 'ū' when you do ALT+SHIFT+U and so on...

#SingleInstance force
#NoEnv
#Warn
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
Menu, Tray, Tip, Macrons

; macrons (modifiers: ^ctrl / !alt / +shift / #win / *wildcard / <!=leftAlt / >!=rightAlt)
+!a::ā
+!i::ī
+!u::ū
+!e::ē
+!o::ō

Just copy and paste that into Notepad, save it as "Macrons.ahk" and make sure to save it with UTF-8 encoding (that's important otherwise those characters will be mangled)

A4par.png

Double-click the .ahk file to start the utility. Let me know if that works -- it should work system-wide.

Hi. Thanks! I will give it a try. Someone did suggest a wonderful download that goes into the language bar. That worked beautifully. Your solution, though, is a nice alternative, and might be simpler foe me in the end. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

As it stands - the incremental search as you type is flawed from a performance point of view, even on a very powerful PC it will kill performance and yield a temporarily non-responsive client. I just found this thread and applied the fix both on my desktop and my laptop. Both now performs like before EN5 = nice, snappy searches initiated by hitting <Enter> when I want.

In order to avoid pain and expensive support for others suggest you change the default value from current 50 to 0 to turn off incremental search until the solution architecture supports the feature.

Archived