(Archived) Newbie Questions

csonnic

Idea

Just became a Premium user and am finding, at least getting started, that it's good to get past the 60MB limit for the month.  I also like making my Notebooks offline for my devices.  With that, I notice that my notes with PDF's require that I click on the PDF icon in order for them to be seen.  On my Mac (desktop) version, it automatically shows.  Is there a setting to where I won't re required to actually click the icon to the right just to view the content?  Whoudln't it show by seimply selecting the note to the left in the Evernote window?

28 replies to this idea

In another post, I mentioned that there were some "offending" files in that bunch that Evernote would not import, yet it failed to inform me.  It even created a couple of untitled notes with no content.  I think there is room for improvement for situations where a note cannot be imported rather than leave the user clueless as to what happened (or didn't in this case).  And as well, why wouldn't all the other acceptable notes not be imported?

Files may not be imported if either the resultant note size would exceed the note size limit or if they are being imported into a synced notebook & would cause you to exceed your monthly upload limit.

Of which neither of those issues being the case.  These are small files less than 200kb and as a Premium user, I've not come near to my 1GB upload limit.

Have you taken a peek at the activity logs after this type of error? Perhaps there's something in there that will help you troubleshoot. Post them here, perhaps one of us can spot something. 

In another post, I mentioned that there were some "offending" files in that bunch that Evernote would not import, yet it failed to inform me.  It even created a couple of untitled notes with no content.  I think there is room for improvement for situations where a note cannot be imported rather than leave the user clueless as to what happened (or didn't in this case).  And as well, why wouldn't all the other acceptable notes not be imported?

Files may not be imported if either the resultant note size would exceed the note size limit or if they are being imported into a synced notebook & would cause you to exceed your monthly upload limit.

Of which neither of those issues being the case.  These are small files less than 200kb and as a Premium user, I've not come near to my 1GB upload limit.

I just tried dragging 350 Rich Text files over to a Notebook.  I could see Evernote starting to copy them over and then it stopped.  It did this twice, copying over only a number of the files.  So, are we limited with how many files can be dragged over at one time?---UPDATE---- now this is happening with just several Rich Text files.  Dragging into the window where all the notes shows was working for me but now it's behaving the same way.  I get the plus icon to where it looks like they'll copy into the Notebook, but then all the files go back to their place of origin and nothing is actually copied.  Buggy.

while I don't have 350 text files to try and reproduce this with, I had a series of 10 files I could try. I made a new, empty notebook, drag and dropped he ten files onto the book. 

Dialogue: "Creates notes x out of 10"

Once created, the notebook began to populate with new notes. It took a moment because it looked as though it only let the new notes appear as they got synced to the server. It took about 15 seconds with 10 files. With 350 I suspect it would take a fair bit longer. 

I have tried everything you have said you did (except for the exact 350 file thing), and cannot reproduce. 

I am using the Mac client. What client are you using?

I just tried dragging 350 Rich Text files over to a Notebook.  I could see Evernote starting to copy them over and then it stopped.  It did this twice, copying over only a number of the files.  So, are we limited with how many files can be dragged over at one time?---UPDATE---- now this is happening with just several Rich Text files.  Dragging into the window where all the notes shows was working for me but now it's behaving the same way.  I get the plus icon to where it looks like they'll copy into the Notebook, but then all the files go back to their place of origin and nothing is actually copied.  Buggy.

I've noticed a particular annoyance when dragging a new note file to an empty Notebook.  It simply doesn't work, at least for me.  The only way to actually add a file is to first create a new note within the Notebook first and then dragging a file in always works.  Strange how there has to be at least one note in there first for dragging to work.

I can deal with that issue.  I'll just have to rearrange I organize a bit.

I've come across a couple of other things that I've noticed that should work but not sure if they are intended to (yet).

In the left column, I would think you could right-click on any one of the Stacks and choose Add New Notebook but all I get is Expand or Collapse Stack.  Also, when I right-click a Stack in the Main Window, I do get Add Notebook, but it never is placed into the Stack which I right-clicked.  It always goes to the Root which required me to drag it to the Stack which I right-clicked on.  That seems a bit buggy to me.  It should function that way, no?  And lastly, right-clicking on that Notebook in the Stack should give an option to Add Note rather having to double-click the Notebook and then clicking New Note in.....

• Level 5*

One thing I found to be a serious limitation is that a Stack can only be a holder for single Notebooks with other Notebooks within those Notebooks.  I like hierarchical order and this does not fit my way at all.  I wonder if this is something that will be changed in future builds.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about that topic (search for "hierarchical notebooks", "nested notebooks", etc.). Looks like Evernote is not interested in doing that any time soon (though they likely won't be telling us before they released it in a beta if they did). On the other hand, there is a lot that you can do with tags.
  • Level 5*

Wow.  I've only got 2 more posts allowed for today.

This is an anti-spam measure. It was 10 posts until very recently, but we've had a spate of 10-posts spam occurrences, so we've dialed it back.

One thing I found to be a serious limitation is that a Stack can only be a holder for single Notebooks with other Notebooks within those Notebooks. I like hierarchical order and this does not fit my way at all. I wonder if this is something that will be changed in future builds.

I really doubt they will allow for nested stacks. At the very least because there are so many other ways of achieving a third level of hierarchy.

Stack>Notebook>tag>note>content

Tags offer an additional level in a hierarchy and have the advantage of being able to span notebooks as well as being capable of being nested one level deep. Seems like tags and notes could be leveraged to add an additional level of organization within a notebook and notebook stack.

That being said, everyone has their own unique workflow and needs. At the very least I have trouble agreeing that this is a "serious" limitation... A minor limitation, yes.

One thing I found to be a serious limitation is that a Stack can only be a holder for single Notebooks with other Notebooks within those Notebooks.  I like hierarchical order and this does not fit my way at all.  I wonder if this is something that will be changed in future builds.

And also, by making al Notebooks offline, will that automatically include any new Notebooks?

Make sure you are taking responsibility for backing up all your offline notebooks. They are not synchronized with the Evernote cloud.

Actually it is a good idea to do regular full back ups on everything in Evernote, but especially the non-sync'd info.

Just to be clear, in iOS, when you make a notebook available "offline" they are absolutely still synced to evernote's cloud as soon as a network connection is re-established.

Glad you cleared that up.

One thing I have noticed is that Evernote on my Mac has a note or tow less that on the Web.  Not sure how that is happening.  I could understand that in iOS, but the Mac version should always be in sync shouldn't it?-----Update---- I found a "kind-of-duplicate" note on the Web side, but with an image embedded.  Not sure why it never synced over to the Mac side.  I deleted it and now all is in agreement with eachother.

And also, by making al Notebooks offline, will that automatically include any new Notebooks?

Make sure you are taking responsibility for backing up all your offline notebooks. They are not synchronized with the Evernote cloud.

Actually it is a good idea to do regular full back ups on everything in Evernote, but especially the non-sync'd info.

Just to be clear, in iOS, when you make a notebook available "offline" they are absolutely still synced to evernote's cloud as soon as a network connection is re-established.

What jbenson2 is referring to are unsynced "local" Evernote notebooks, which is an entirely different thing from offline access on iOS with Evernote premium.

Hopefully this is in order and I would like to clarify something raised in the initial posting. Very very new to Evernote myself but already thinking about Premium, a point I'd like to clarify is that if OFFLINE on the iPad, would one still be able to tap the PDF icon to be able to view and read the PDF or must one be Online for this to work?

The quick answer to your question is: yes you will be able to access any attachment in any note in an offline notebook.

• Level 5

Hopefully this is in order and I would like to clarify something raised in the initial posting. Very very new to Evernote myself but already thinking about Premium, a point I'd like to clarify is that if OFFLINE on the iPad, would one still be able to tap the PDF icon to be able to view and read the PDF or must one be Online for this to work?

Can anyone offer some comments on that last part of my post?  Is there a way to be assured that these Notebooks are truly offline?  I suppose turning of any network traffic and see if they still show up on the device?  But I must say that the offline settings seem rather confusing when I select new Notebooks for downloading but fail to see any progress as I did the first time.

Yes, I think the best test is simply to turn on Airplane Mode and then open Evernote. 

When you select a notebook to keep offline, it should show at the bottom of your screen "Downloading [Notebook Title}...", and a small green progress bar beneath that text indicating the progress. Many notebooks come in very fast and you may not even notice it. 

If you leave the "offline notebook" menu while a download is in progress, it will continue and you can return to that "offline notebook" menu to check the progress. 

So yes, there is an indicator of download progress. You can make a double-triple-quadrupal check by turning airplane mode on and trying to access the desired notebook. 

Hope that helps. 

Can anyone offer some comments on that last part of my post?  Is there a way to be assured that these Notebooks are truly offline?  I suppose turning of any network traffic and see if they still show up on the device?  But I must say that the offline settings seem rather confusing when I select new Notebooks for downloading but fail to see any progress as I did the first time.

Wow.  I've only got 2 more posts allowed for today.

In regards to offline Notebooks.  I've just created some new ones on my Mac.  I went to make them offline on my device but the "Download All Notes" is already selected.  How do I make sure these new Notebooks, then, will be available offline?

Update- I went into "Download Selected Notebooks" and found the new Notebooks were no "on."  So, I enabled them and then went back and selected "Download all Notes."  But when doing so, I do not see the download progress bar as I did previously.

I've got 30+ gigs available on my iPad. Is there a set limit within Evernote even if there's more space available?

The evernote app for iOS does not limit how much you can store offline, you can add as many offline notebooks as you want until your device is full!

As for the PDF issue on mobile (iOS devices), this stems from an issue with iOS. iOS does not have any native provision for displaying PDFs "inline", essentially "previewing" a PDF file. This means that short of Evernote coding their own from the ground up (which is both resource intensive from a development standpoint and would also require considerable resources from the device), you'll always have to tap tap tap that pdf icon. 

It is definitely a drag, I fully agree!

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  

On a mobile device you'll always have the problem that PDFs show icons until clicked - possibly this was set up this way to save your bandwidth downloading large files on a mobile device.  There's no setting to change this.

Notebooks have to be 'offlined' individually - and keep an eye on the storage capacity of your device.  As your notes grow in number and size your hard drive may be able to handle a gig or two of storage. Mobiles are less forgiving,  and will stop syncing when you run out of space.

Archived