Feature Request: Merge Tags

eyeojo

Idea

Because I wasn't very careful early in my EN days there are a lot of random tags that I want lumped together. It would be nice to have the ability to Merge tags, already multiple tags can be highlighted, why not give the option to merge and specify the new name. Thanks!

11 replies to this idea

When I try this it just nests the random tags under the new one, it doesn't combine them (i.e. on my note I don't see multiple tags from what is nested) and if I delete it just goes away without taking on the new tag...what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

• Level 5

I'm wondering whether AutoEver - on iPhone or iPad - could automate this retagging (perhaps including dropping the old tags).

I DO appreciate the OP might not have an iOS device, though. I'm just thinking about automation scenarios and this seems like a nice one.

• Level 5

OK, but WIP's are often things that can be progressed... :-)

I also found the UI counter-intuitive. But it might be worth persisting with. As someone who occasionally develops stuff myself I know how hard it is to make it usable by others and I appreciate the design ideas users bring. The author of AutoEver might feel the same.

Im having the same problem as eyeojo 

Because I wasn't very careful early in my EN days there are a lot of random tags that I want lumped together. It would be nice to have the ability to Merge tags, already multiple tags can be highlighted, why not give the option to merge and specify the new name. Thanks!

So i planned to start a better workflow with EN, cleaned up my notebooks and was starting on all my random tags but i couldnt find the merge tag A with tag B (for example im dutch so Color is Kleur and want that careful so no i have the same tag with two driffent spellings) so i also treid to rename the tag to Color but it wont let me! Just let me rename my tag to whatever i want and prompt a merge message instate of "Tag names must be unique." 

1. Create the new tag you'll use for the merged items (not needed if you're re-using one of your existing tags)

2. select all the notes you want to "merge" into a tag

3. (at least in the current Mac client) Add the new tag using the "click to add tags" section in the right pane.

4. Go to the Tags list and delete the tag(s) you no longer want used).

5. Pat yourself on the back. :)

Archived