mass check/uncheck checkboxes?

I submitted this to support but also thought I'd ask here, after not finding this info in the knowledge base or other forum posts:

I have a number of notes I use when teaching online, that contain lists of tasks to do at various points during the quarter - pre-course setup, things to get posted on different weeks, etc. Incredibly helpful!

I use checkboxes to keep track of what I've done. However at the end of a quarter, I need to clear the check marks so I can start fresh again. How can I do this? I can't seem to find a way - I've tried highlighting a list of items and right clicking, I've looked in the menus for a "clear checkboxes" function, etc.

Seems like this would be an action one would need to take for any re-used checklist (a packing list for business trips, for example). My RSI would really like for there to be a way to handle this easily....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I need that too and I would be able to stop loading standard actions in my todo list (Omnifocus) that is a bit too heavy as a thing for trivial stuff like packing your luggage or else I would get rid of average iphone apps for shopping list etc...

You really need a light Evernote note with checkboxes for simple stuff like that and the power of evernote behind (sharing on the cloud, indexing etc...) and you want to avoid piling up otherwise useless apps and keep a short number of hubs not fragments of systems everywhere.

That said a simple hack I use for some daily routines I have is:

• Today I check all boxes one by one in my Evernote note.
  • The next day I uncheck them one by one the same way as I follow the steps

Certainly not clean and not reliable as a system (eg if you have routines where you search for actions that need be closed in all Evernote or anything else a bit robust around checkboxes)

....but workable at a micro level.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 solutions:

1) I create a master check list which I dulicate.  I then set check marks on the duplicate version.  Once it is all checked, I delete the duplicate and re-use the master check list to create the new one.

2) I highlight all items in a check list, hit the check box in the edit options (this removes all check boxes), I select check boxes again in the edit options and it recreates the list with new empty check boxes.  (I use the windows version of Evernote to do this).

Give it a try

• 2 years later...

I wanted this feature on the Mac for my daily checklists - it's good to check off each item as I go through, but a pain to have to uncheck them individually the next day. it doesn't look like it's likely to arrive as a built-in feature for the Mac client, so I wrote a quick AppleScript to do it, which seems to work well.

tell application "Evernote"     

set theNotes to selection     

repeat with theNote in theNotes         

set noteHTML to (HTML content of item 1 of theNote)         

set noteHTML to my replace_chars(noteHTML, "en-todo-checked", "")         

set (HTML content of item 1 of theNote) to noteHTML     

end repeat

end tell

on replace_chars(this_text, search_string, replacement_string)

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the search_string

set the item_list to every text item of this_text

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the replacement_string

set this_text to the item_list as string

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""   

return this_text

end replace_chars

29 minutes ago, BM1957 said:

I wanted this feature on the Mac for my daily checklists - it's good to check off each item as I go through, but a pain to have to uncheck them individually the next day. it doesn't look like it's likely to arrive as a built-in feature for the Mac client, so I wrote a quick AppleScript to do it, which seems to work well.

tell application "Evernote"     

set theNotes to selection     

repeat with theNote in theNotes         

set noteHTML to (HTML content of item 1 of theNote)         

set noteHTML to my replace_chars(noteHTML, "en-todo-checked", "")         

set (HTML content of item 1 of theNote) to noteHTML     

end repeat

end tell

on replace_chars(this_text, search_string, replacement_string)

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the search_string

set the item_list to every text item of this_text

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the replacement_string

set this_text to the item_list as string

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""   

return this_text

end replace_chars

Great script @BM1957 and thanks much for sharing your answering this Sept 20th 2011 legitimate question (in the meantime nothing serious on tasks from Evernote)

As for me I am no longer concerned:

• For tasks (or even simple checklists) I have stopped using evernote 3 years ago as this proved to be barely usable for task management (or even simple checklists) and a waste of my time.
  • Overall (and for core user case that is notes & other doc management) I have completely dropped Evernote 1 year ago

I have moved docs and notes to DevonThink Pro and am 10 times happier with my life since then, and my wife loves me much more.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, alexlot said:

I have completely dropped Evernote 1 year ago

Completely?  Yet here you are, posting in an Evernote forum

On 2011-10-05 at 5:35 PM, elusis said:

However at the end of a quarter, I need to clear the check marks so I can start fresh again.

My solution is to keep template notes, with clear checkboxes
I use this to start fresh again

And I'm still happy with my life.  My ex-wife still hates me, but that may be unrelated to my Evernote use

51 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Completely?  Yet here you are, posting in an Evernote forum

My solution is to keep template notes, with clear checkboxes
I use this to start fresh again
And I'm still happy with my life

Well I confirm yes @DTLow I completely dropped Evernote, I do not use any of the platforms.

I still receive emails notices from Evernote forum when any of the few topics where I and many begged for may years for improvements are updated (I used to follow these).

I receive such update every 6 months or so now..

You are right on 1 point that is my old legacy data still on Evernote servers in Evernote proprietary format. When I have 2 hours to spare I need to erase all yes, while checking that Evernote policy is fine on really erasing (I think this part is fine).

I hope no-one got offended for my "better life" claims. But look:

• I have been with Evernote since 2011 and paid user right away..
  • I have been an early advocate of Evernote,
  • I had shared to many colleagues and many friends that Evernote rocks: they have joined and paid,
  • I have done the 5 star App Store review stuff etc...

For these I think I got the right to say that now in my opinion:

• Evernote really sucks (seriously just look simply at the state of your hacks on simple checklists. Or simply look at how slow that is to search a note in Evernote..Or simply look at the lack of features to allow quick/efficient sorting of your notes)
  • It has not improved for me over the years and has rather really degraded,
  • and that I have lost time (and I regret) not realizing earlier that grass is much much much greener elsewhere.

No offense but Yes: I get a much better life since I dropped Evernote yes.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, alexlot said:

When I have 2 hours to spare I need to erase all yes, while checking that Evernote policy is fine on really erasing (I think this part is fine).

To delete your notes, you will need to login into Evernote

Deactivating your account is documented here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314088-How-to-deactivate-and-reactivate-your-Evernote-account

Archived