Real screen clipping

ShakespearesEdge

Idea

EN is in desperate need of a screen clipping feature that literally just snaps a picture of a web page - from absolute top down to absolute bottom (auto scroll). The image should be searchable. And I'm not talking about the current screen clipping feature - it's horrible because it doesn't capture most pages accurately or at all. 

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 10/31/2019 at 1:55 PM, ShakespearesEdge said:

snaps a picture of a web page - from absolute top down to absolute bottom (auto scroll)

Full page screenshots is now an IOS feature; saved in .pdf format
https://www.cultofmac.com/629540/safari-snaps-full-page-screenshots-in-ios-13/

>>And I'm not talking about the current screen clipping feature - it's horrible because it doesn't capture most pages accurately or at all

My personal choice for viewing web pages is a web browser app; Safari (Mac/iPad)   
I do not consider Evernote to be great as a web browser app

I save web pages in web archive format; as a note file attachment   
For Evernote viewing, I save screenshots in image/pdf format

>>No, I don't mean that I use Evernote as a web browser. I'm talking about screen clipping ...

You're trying to use Evernote to view saved web pages, after converting the underlying code to Evernote's ENML format

• Level 5

The iOS 13 option to capture full webpages as a pdf is very nice, and I use it a lot.

The only downside from my view is the fact that the pdf is regarded as one super-long, continuous page, without page breaks. That makes printing it difficult, which includes virtual printing. Up to now I have not found a way around this.

Thanks for the responses. 

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Full page screenshots is now an IOS feature; saved in .pdf format
https://www.cultofmac.com/629540/safari-snaps-full-page-screenshots-in-ios-13/

>>And I'm not talking about the current screen clipping feature - it's horrible because it doesn't capture most pages accurately or at all

My personal choice for viewing web pages is a web browser app; Safari (Mac/iPad)   
I do not consider Evernote to be a web browser app

I save web pages in web archive format; as a note file attachment   
For Evernote viewing, I save screenshots in image/pdf format

No, I don't mean that I use Evernote as a web browser. I'm talking about screen clipping - taking a "snapshot" of a web page, like SnagIt, etc. Also, I don't use Apple; I use PC. But thanks for your response.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The iOS 13 option to capture full webpages as a pdf is very nice, and I use it a lot.

The only downside from my view is the fact that the pdf is regarded as one super-long, continuous page, without page breaks. That makes printing it difficult, which includes virtual printing. Up to now I have not found a way around this.

Thanks for your response, but I don't use Apple.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The way to make it print properly is to select a page size before printing. It should then take care of the issue, albeit not perfectly - graphics will "spill" onto the next page if they reach the end of the page before it.

• Level 5*
On 10/31/2019 at 1:55 PM, ShakespearesEdge said:

EN is in desperate need of a screen clipping feature that literally just snaps a picture of a web page - from absolute top down to absolute bottom (auto scroll). The image should be searchable. And I'm not talking about the current screen clipping feature - it's horrible because it doesn't capture most pages accurately or at all. 

I use the Awesome Screenshot add in when I need this capability.

download.thumb.jpg.519e192d9d72191a25bd14d25f956964.jpg

• Level 5

Regarding the print selection: iOS is pretty weak on printing. The workflow is:

- Take a screenshot while you are on a webpage. The easiest way to do this is by swiping with the Apple Pencil from a lower corner diagonally upwards - this will open the screenshot window.

- There choose between picture, which is the area that was visible on the screen before, or full page, which is the whole page.

- You can annotate and then save - no print option available. JPEGs can be saved to the camera roll or the files app, pdf only to the files app.

- One can print as well from this dialogue, but it means several additional steps. If you want a fast copy of a page, and go on, you rather take the shortest route available.

For Windows there are several tools (many of them freeware) that will take a fast screen copy. They usually install in the little task box down at the right of the screen. On the Mac taking regular screen shots is a build in function of the OS.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, ShakespearesEdge said:

Yup, that's cool. I like AS, too. 

Yeah, sometimes software doesn't do all I want so I adjust.  Extra step to add the clip to EN, but it's easy enough to click.  :)

ScreenClip.png.75cf8455d3f6f9bc136eae5d973caed5.png