Jump to content
  • 5
Kruger2147

Tag filter is search does not support hierarchy, only top layer

Idea

I have my tags set up in a hierarchy by type (Date, Places, Topic etc.), when filtering by tag in Evernote for Android it only shows the top layer, not the tags beneath. It should allow for either expanding the hierarchy, or typing in a tag with auto-fill/prediction to easily find the tag I want to filter by. 

Screenshot_20190613-075734.thumb.png.741ab682df3455d30a361ac6e4c878bc.png 

Share this post


Link to post

8 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Moving to a feature request (voting) subforum... and upvoting...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

In general yes, plus unify the mobile Apps in terms of tag hierarchy with the desktop clients. iOS will show all tags, but looses the hierarchy as well.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, Kruger2147 said:

I have my tags set up in a hierarchy by type (Date, Places, Topic etc.), when filtering by tag in Evernote for Android it only shows the top layer, not the tags beneath.

Not just Android; I notice I'm often presented with an alphabetical tag list.

I use a prefix naming standard to make use of this; for example  

Budget Tag Hierarchy;  Budget, Budget-Income, Budget-Rent, Budget-...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

In general yes, plus unify the mobile Apps in terms of tag hierarchy with the desktop clients. iOS will show all tags, but looses the hierarchy as well.

The Android client does indeed show the tag hierarchy, if you select "Tags" from the slide-out menu. The OP is referring to a different control where it's not shown; basically, once you've done a search, you can filter it in various ways, one of which is by tag. No hierarchy there.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Not sure this is a feature request as much as it is a bug.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
36 minutes ago, lisec said:

Not sure this is a feature request as much as it is a bug.

In my world, a bug is a violation of specifications. We don't know what the actual specifications are -- those are internal to Evernote, unless they share them -- but it's probably safe to assume that it's currently behaving as intended by Evernote (it doesn't crash or cause invalid behavior, it does allow for tag picking, but perhaps not in the most useful way), so not really a bug. That being the case, what the OP wants, and reasonably so, is a change of spec for that control. Yes, you can argue that the design is flawed, and some people call that a bug as well, but we can also turn around and say that requesting that a design bug be fixed is also a feature request. In the end, it's all much of a muchness; both are valid for this forum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I agree with most of what you say except for the first sentence which I find too narrow as it excludes a reasonable user expectation. If a program includes a pop-up asking to select a tag and not all tags are displayed that, to me, is a bug. If instead they asked only: select a parent tag, then ok, but that is not the case here. It would be like asking users to filter by notebook but only displaying their default notebook rather than all of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/28/2019 at 3:48 PM, lisec said:

I agree with most of what you say except for the first sentence which I find too narrow as it excludes a reasonable user expectation. If a program includes a pop-up asking to select a tag and not all tags are displayed that, to me, is a bug. If instead they asked only: select a parent tag, then ok, but that is not the case here. It would be like asking users to filter by notebook but only displaying their default notebook rather than all of them.

I was able to check into this more thoroughly on my home account, and you're right: it does only show top-level tags. I don't have a very organized tag system, so my list was quite long and I didn't pick up on that. It should definitely show all tags (a bug), and even better (a feature request), allow for filtering the list according to what you've typed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...