How to delete a shared note?

douglerner

Idea

I have a note in "Shared with Me" that I can't delete. It's from 2015 and about some furniture it seems. I don't recognize the person with whom it's shared. I'm not interested in keeping the note at all. But all the delete options are grayed out. How can I get rid of it from my Evernote?

Thanks.

16 replies to this idea

• Ex Employees

@douglerner The "Shared with Me" view is displaying all notes that were shared with you at any time in the past, regardless of the current state of the share. At the moment, it's a "view" and not a manageable list.

We're in the process of fixing and redesigning sharing, and this view will likely be changed/improved. But the behavior above is the current behavior for the near future.

• Level 5

It needs to be unshared before the sharer deletes it. If this is not done, the copy of the note (the one that is in your account) is „orphaned“. You can’t delete it, because you do not own it. The owner can’t manage it, because he deleted his master copy.

It is a bug by design of the sharing as Set up by EN, a long time ago. Probably not easy to fix for them, and because it causes no side effects not on top of any list.

The best what you can probably do is to open a notebook for defunct notes, and move it there.

• Evernote Expert
15 hours ago, Pegleg231 said:

Seems a bit ridiculous that this issue hasn't been resolved in over three years, but who wants to delete notes shared by an abusive ex anyway?

This is a hangover from older ways of doing things.  For most it isn't a serious issue and moving the note out of sight is a passable solution. In your case, this is a more critical matter. Under the circumstances I would contact Evernote support and ask for assistance. Support Ticket – Evernote Help & Learning

Still not fixed? I have the same issue. Even if the person who shared the note unshared the note. It is still visible as a list in " Shared with me"

Please EN get this fixed. I have a long list of items I do want to get rid off (former employer / team)

• Evernote Expert

If the person who shared with you has definitely unshared then you should be able to remove it from your account.  In that case try a forced reload of your data - in the desktop app Ctrl+Shift+R

If that doesn't work then you could check whether rebuilding your local data will resolve the issue. File | Sign Out | Remove your data. Then sign back in and allow your data to be rebuilt.

But if the original owner didn't unshare before they deleted then it may take some time to clear out.  My Shared with Me notebook is empty now after several moths waiting for orphaned notes to be removed.

Did you try asking for tech support as recommended further up the thread?

Hi, Thx for your suggestion. I am on Mac. So  desktop app Ctrl+Shift+R did not work.Do you know the command for Mac for a forced reload of data?

I did uninstall the Evernote Mac app including clean cache via an uninstaller. After that it is still visible in the Mac app in the list "shared with me"

However when I go to the webversion via Safari. The list " shared with me" is empty....

Also uninstalled on iPad and iPhone. Both the list came back..

Very strange.

Hi, yes I raised a ticket. This was the respons:

"I apologize but as of the moment we won't be able to delete the notes if we don't have a contact with the sharer anymore. If ever you will be able to reach the sharer of the notes, he can revoke the access so it will be removed from your list. To revoke access to a share note, steps can be found here.

I hope this helps. Thank you for your patience and understanding. "

So I do need to get back to support. I did found the sharer and he did unsure the notes. But as stated I do see the list of notes (not the notes itself) in the "shared with me " view on my iOS devices and on the Evernote max OSX app. Online via web the list is empty..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got an update from support:

"It is my understanding that you'd like to remove all the notes listed from the "Shared with me" section.

I would like to set the right expectation that the Shared with Me tab only acts as a history of all notes that have been shared with you, regardless if you still have access to them or the owner has stopped sharing those notes. At the moment, it's a "view" and not a manageable list. We're in the process of fixing and redesigning sharing, and this view will likely be changed/improved. Please know that the behavior above is the current behavior for the near future.

I’ve gone ahead and made note of this for our development team. While we can’t commit to getting all feature requests into the product, we do rely on our community to tell us what they’d like to see in the future. 

Thank you for your time to contact us. Let me know if you have any other questions, and enjoy the rest of your week!"

• Thanks 1