Feature request: "Log" note

Steve Wagar

Idea

80% of the notes I create are journal or log entries.  I create one per day to track what I did that day.  I just type the date as the title of the note, and then I can recognize it as a log note.  I just use "MM-DD" format, which doesn't reveal the year or time, which can matter.  I propose there should be a new note type (in addition to Audio, Photo and Reminder) that is the same as a normal text note except that that the title is prepopulated with a time in the format "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM".  This is the only format that will sort dates and times correctly (using a 24-hour clock).  This would save me time, and would sort right.  Now I see entries for 12-5 from 2016, 2017 and 2018 next to each other; not good.  Alternately, a way to insert a date/time stamp (under iOS) in the above format into the title would also help, though not as much.

By default, notes have no title (though they will copy the text up to the title if you don't enter one).  While you can move your cursor to the title and type one, often you don't really care; you just want to know when you wrote the note, so having the timestamp as the title for log notes can be very useful.  A whole lot of effort went into making templates; I can't think of any time I would ever use one.  This is a very small feature that probably everyone can benefit from.

The Evernote help says that date and time stamps can be inserted on some clients, but I couldn't get it to work on Windows using Ctrl-; or Shift-Alt-D.  It says:

You can also insert date and time stamps directly into the body of a note on some clients:

• Evernote for Mac: Date Stamp (Shift + Command + D) or Time Stamp (Option + Shift + Command + D)

• Evernote for Windows: Date and Time Stamp (Control + ; or Shift + Alt + D)

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I moved the discussion to the feature request forum.

A complex post, but I can't see Evernote adding a new note type simply for pre-populating the note title.

I'm working on a Mac and my solution is scripting.  
My daily journal note is generated automatically each morning with a title of yyyy/mm/dd Journal - ddd

>>Alternately, a way to insert a date/time stamp (under iOS) in the above format into the title would also help, though not as much.

Look into Siri Shortcuts.  It can create the note with the timestamp as the title.IMG_2577.thumb.jpg.5bab5f56cd01cda6c6a803c96bd0b811.jpg.e0a958c56406ad1c814b844662acf591.jpg

Yes, scripting would be nice if I could easily do it from my iPhone; seems unlikely.  I agree, they probably won't add a note type for this, but it is what would work best.  And I contend that it is what people would like, though I am of course conjecturing.

• Level 5*

I have a third-party app (Phrase Express) that converts a keypress into a date - 20181206 - and a template that sets up a Journal note.  Works for me.  (I use Windows and Android,  but I assume there's something similar for Apple devices..)

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Steve Wagar said:

Thanks, gazumped.  Yes, Phrase Express is available for iPhone, and it looks like it will solve this problem -- if I get the Pro version, which costs $149.  That is overkill for this problem.

$149?   Best I can tell it's free for 10 phrases, $5 for "standard" and $25 for "pro"  Not sure which version is needed for a simple date insert, but it is no cost to find out.

CalS, the prices I quoted were from www.phraseexpress.com/docs13/09/shop.php:  $49.95 standard, $139.95 pro.  But you are right, in the phone app it is $5 for standard and $25 for pro.  

More info: www.phraseexpress.com/datestamp.htm and www.phraseexpress.com/docs13/09/macro.htm

So I tried it out on my phone.  I enabled the keyboard with full access; PhraseExpress says "PhraseExpress never sends any of your text input or saved phrases anywhere. Period."  So I trust them.  I was able to use the {#DATE} macro for free out of the box.  But it expands to "12/7/18 ## Update to Pro Edition to use of macro function without this text ##".  Aside from it not being practical to erase all that text (the extra text only appears about 25% of the time), the date format can only be changed with the pro version, I believe, and for sorting it must be YY/MM/DD.  So ok, $24.99 and my problem is solved.  Not the end of the world, but maybe still a bit pricey for me.

• Level 5*
On 12/7/2018 at 12:53 PM, Steve Wagar said:

CalS, the prices I quoted were from www.phraseexpress.com/docs13/09/shop.php:  $49.95 standard, $139.95 pro.  But you are right, in the phone app it is $5 for standard and $25 for pro.  

More info: www.phraseexpress.com/datestamp.htm and www.phraseexpress.com/docs13/09/macro.htm

So I tried it out on my phone.  I enabled the keyboard with full access; PhraseExpress says "PhraseExpress never sends any of your text input or saved phrases anywhere. Period."  So I trust them.  I was able to use the {#DATE} macro for free out of the box.  But it expands to "12/7/18 ## Update to Pro Edition to use of macro function without this text ##".  Aside from it not being practical to erase all that text (the extra text only appears about 25% of the time), the date format can only be changed with the pro version, I believe, and for sorting it must be YY/MM/DD.  So ok, $24.99 and my problem is solved.  Not the end of the world, but maybe still a bit pricey for me.

Could be other text expanders out there with a free or lower cost.

I did as exhaustive a search as I could in the App Store; didn't find any.  It's a very niche market, and it looks like phraseexpress has done a great job, but should perhaps consider allowing very limited access to macro functionality in their cheaper versions.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Steve Wagar said:

I did as exhaustive a search as I could in the App Store; didn't find any.  It's a very niche market, and it looks like phraseexpress has done a great job, but should perhaps consider allowing very limited access to macro functionality in their cheaper versions.

Good to know, thanks.  Interesting that the windows desktop version has most of that in the free version. 

CalS, I was inspired to do more searching in the App store and I found an app called Shortcut by Yannick Rave for $0.99 that solves my problem better than Phrase Express would.  I got the app, and it's keyboard only does one-tap shortcuts; it is not a normal full-featured keyboard like Phrase Express's.  However, those shortcuts can be plain text or dates formatted any way you like.  There is no doc, but you can see the date format in the example picture.  I use {{Date: yy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss}} for Date and time.  Works like a charm and easy to pull up.

appadvice.com/app/shortcut-abbreviation-keyboard/1173982216

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Steve Wagar said:

CalS, I was inspired to do more searching in the App store and I found an app called Shortcut by Yannick Rave for $0.99 that solves my problem better than Phrase Express would.  I got the app, and it's keyboard only does one-tap shortcuts; it is not a normal full-featured keyboard like Phrase Express's.  However, those shortcuts can be plain text or dates formatted any way you like.  There is no doc, but you can see the date format in the example picture.  I use {{Date: yy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss}} for Date and time.  Works like a charm and easy to pull up.

appadvice.com/app/shortcut-abbreviation-keyboard/1173982216

Excellent!  Good tool to know about.  I use PE extensively on my PCs but not at all on my iOS devices, don't spend enough entry time there to put in the effort.  This may be something to use if it is as easy as your report.  Thanks.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Steve Wagar said:

I found an app called Shortcut by Yannick Rave for $0.99 that solves my problem better than Phrase Express would

Details at https://appadvice.com/app/shortcut-abbreviation-keyboard/1173982216

Shortcut Keyboard is your new Keyboard!
The app creates you a new keyboard. This keyboard is made for you with your personal shortcuts. Insert the shortcut’s text to save a lot of time. Additionally, once you have created a shortcut, the text will not change so you can be sure that you do not insert wrong information. One more benefit is that you are not bugged by typing the same letters over and over again.
Shortcut Keyboard has a lot of functions, including:

- Create new shortcuts with ease and insert the shortcut’s text with a single finger press
- Create new pages and position your shortcuts wherever you want on the keyboard
- Your texts are variable!
- Static texts are inserted without any changes
- It is possible to replace a date variable with the current date and time
- Another feature allows you to insert your current location
- Import and export your shortcuts so they can be used as a backup and to keep your other devices updated

Create shortcuts to fill out forms with just a few finger presses. Until now, you did not know how fast you can insert your name, address, email and phone number.
Send your friends your current location and let them know where the party is at or text your parents that you safely made it to your current location.
You can mark your finished tasks with the current date and even insert the current time quickly.
Shortcuts can be used in all kinds of situations. They are especially useful for texts you often use and are also handy for hashtags, websites, signatures and I bet you already have your individual use in your mind.

How do I use Shortcut Keyboard?

The app shows a keyboard. This represents the actual keyboard you will be using.
Create a new shortcut by simply clicking on the +. Enter the text you want to be inserted and a text that will be shown on the keyboard.
Moving shortcuts is just as easy. Click on the icon in the top right of your screen. A blue border will appear. Click two shortcuts to change places.
Do not forget to add Shortcut to your keyboards. Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Keyboards -> Add Keyboard. You will see Shortcut Keyboard. Add it to your keyboards. Now you can use the globe on Apple's keyboard to change your active keyboard to Shortcut Keyboard.
On the keyboard, click a shortcut to insert the text. You can also long press a shortcut to see the text that can be inserted.

Every kind of feedback is highly appreciated. Feel free to tell us about your experience with Shortcut Keyboard and what features you want to see in upcoming versions. :)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShortcutKeyboardApp/
@ShortcutKeyboardApp
Support: shortcut@wrave.de

Archived