Is it better security and better privacy?

Hey, this is how I am thinking to upload my notes into EverNote and wanted to hear your opinion if this is a good way or not?

Writing Note in PDF -> Encrypting the PDF's using its own password option -> Archiving the PDF using 7-Zip and encrypting it using 7-Zip's 256 AES password.

So, the PDF needs the password to open and to get the pdf, one has to need the password of the RAR file too. So, is this good?

And is 7-Zip good for encryption? Many say 7-Zip is one of the best.

Waiting for your opinion guys. :)

Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

Writing Note in PDF -> Encrypting the PDF's using its own password option -> Archiving the PDF using 7-Zip and encrypting it using 7-Zip's 256 AES password.

I think the double encryption is overkill.

I use encrypted PDFs for my sensitive data.
I also create documents using Apple-iWorks/MS-Office and save as encrypted.

These are strong encryption levels; the risk of being cracked is close to zero.
I don't have a requirement to get closer to zero.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I think the double encryption is overkill.

I use encrypted PDFs for my sensitive data.
I also create documents using Apple-iWorks/MS-Office and save as encrypted.

I wish I had an Apple system now. Mac is perfect for work. :)

And I said double encryption coz people say PDF passwords are easy to crack. That's why!

Btw, is Adobe reader good or PDFElement Pro from Wondershare?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

Waiting for your opinion guys.

The standard mantra for Evernote is 'whatever works for you' - I save lots of clips and public document scans,  so encryption is not a frequent task;  where necessary I use the text encryption native to Evernote,  plus passworded PDF files for longer documents / those with style and graphics.  Anything truly confidential is in a Local (unsynced) Notebook on one device - which is backed up frequently.  Were I to have World Domination plans,  I think they'd be offline and on paper...

Encryption is all very well,  but if you can see your online content,  then unless you make it impractically hard to do so,  so could someone else by pretending to be you.  Security is always a balance between absolute protection and reasonable access.  (IMHO)

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

Hey, this is how I am thinking to upload my notes into EverNote and wanted to hear your opinion if this is a good way or not?

So, the PDF needs the password to open and to get the pdf, one has to need the password of the RAR file too. So, is this good?

And is 7-Zip good for encryption? Many say 7-Zip is one of the best.

Waiting for your opinion guys. :)

Thanks in advance!

If you encrypt everything I'm not sure EN is that much better a solution than DropBox or Google Drive.  You can search the contents of encrypted PDFs so not as much value, IMO.  Different story if you are going to encrypt and store a subset of your PDFs, then EN is a better solution.

Archived