Start note title with date format YYYYMMDD

Dirk Dutchman

Idea

Hello, 

I have over thousands of notes. Each note starts with a date and then the Title, like " 20180323 Title".

This I have to insert manually. There is a shortcut option SHIFT-CMD-D, however the date format that I need is not in there!

Can you please add the date format YYYYMMDD to the date options?

Can you also create an option where a note title can start automatically with the date field YYYYMMDD? 

This really makes Evernote much more efficient. The impact on other user's functionality is nearly zero. So that should not hold you back on this one!

Best, Dirk

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I moved the request to the Feature Request Forum

I also use a date prefix for the note title.

I use a script to process my notes: notebook, title, tags, reminder ...
The script inserts the date in the format I want.
     set theTitle to theSubjectDate & " " & theSubject & " " & theDescription

See the post linked below for setting the date format  on a Mac

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dirk Dutchman said:

Do you have more information about how to run such a script within Evernote?

I wrote some information in the post linked below5ab523d9c8941_ScreenShot2018-03-23at08_52_42.png.9ca7357ab9a2bc6787445d2015b12af8.png

For this use case, I write the script as per the sample screenshot and have it stored ready to use

Then, after selecting notes in Evernote, I run the script using the menu
5ab524bee4c72_ScreenShot2018-03-23at08_57_54.png.3cd03a77f8682d7b35cdd299f9fdeeea.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Whow! That's really easy - but I'm on Windows... Do You have a suggestion where to find some hints how to automate EN on Windows?

Scripting is only available on Macs, but there are keyboard macro apps like Keyboard Maestro.  Someone else will have to give advice on these.  You might post in the Windows forum.

• Level 5*

This is a Mac thread,  so we tend to have assumptions about your OS here...  the easy way to set this up in Windows is a free app - Phrase Express - which can insert a date as you require.

Setting up a shortcut with this code... {#datetime -f yyyymmdd hhmm}

Gets you this entry:  20180323 1654

There's an extensive help feature which will let you create different options as necessary.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, Dirk Dutchman said:

This I have to insert manually. There is a shortcut option SHIFT-CMD-D, however the date format that I need is not in there!

Can you please add the date format YYYYMMDD to the date options?

The four options available for Insert Date are simply based on the four date formats in System Preferences (Short, Medium, Long, Full).

In order to set your own date format, go to System Preferences->Language & Region->Advanced->Dates

• Like 2

Use Textexpander on the mac, iphone, ipad. Is ‘n awsome tool that speeds up your workflow tremendous and is perfect for things like this. 

Would only be great if Textexpander is fully integrated in evernote so it also works with the Smart keyboard voor Ipad pro. 

Ps. you can also use Smartentry to put your notes in evernote. With one click on the clock icon it sets date (and time) they way you set it as default. 

For Windows 10:  If you want to format the date and time with something more unique, you'll need to use Control Panel.
  1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Click on the Clock, Language, and Region link.
  3. Click on the Change date, time, or numbers formats link.
  4. Under the Formats tab, click on the Additional settings button.
  5. Click on the Time tab.