GeorgeJ

Perfect Solution to Paperless Needs One Feature

After struggling for years to go entirely paperless, I am delighted to have found Evernote.  Its search capability is unbelievably good, and its UI is superb.  There is only one feature it lacks for my use.  I have built databases over the years that contain 500 to 2000 documents.  These Access databases include some metadata with each document that provide a way to search through them, which is unnecessary of course in Evernote.  I have been able to extract the document images--nearly all pdfs, but also including some other formats--from the databases and place them in a folder, one file per document.  My problem is getting them into Evernote as individual notes.  I only need to do this once, as I will be scanning or entering all newly acquired documents manually.

I found that I can use Finder's Add to Evernote command on each file name, and it does exactly what I want.  But, it only does it one file at a time; it is not present if I select multiple files.  I have actually imported over 500 documents using that command, but it is a mind-numbing repetitive task.  The obvious thing would be an extension of the command to multiple files for the Mac and the equivalent one for the PC. 

3 hours ago, GeorgeJ said:

and the equivalent one for the PC

The PC already has this in the form of the Import folder.  You can drag multiple files into a designated import folder and a note will be created for each file in a designated notebook in Evernote.  Find it under Tools - Import Folders.

3 hours ago, GeorgeJ said:

I found that I can use Finder's Add to Evernote command on each file name, and it does exactly what I want.  But, it only does it one file at a time; it is not present if I select multiple files.  

I've also set up an import folder on my Mac.  It uses "folder actions"  linked to a script.

Or even simpler, select the files and drag them to the Evernote icon  (not all at once)

Wow!  Thanks to both of you.  I tried dragging multiple selected files to the icon, and it worked.  I will try the PC import folder next.  You solved my problem.

54 minutes ago, GeorgeJ said:

Wow!  Thanks to both of you.  I tried dragging multiple selected files to the icon, and it worked.  I will try the PC import folder next.  You solved my problem.

You are welcome.  

In the Windows explorer I can select multiple files directly, right mouse click, select “send to” and “Evernote”.

The files are then imported to my EN-Inbox directly, creating one note for each file. I have tried it with a batch of 100+ files, worked without a sweat.

So at least in Windows there is no need to use a separate folder if the import files are already organized in some way,