Why is search so awful?

mstanwyck0

Idea

I find that the search function is quite inaccurate. It doesn't even do a good job of exact match on note titles. I'd think those would be at the top of a list. I also find that search, at least on mobile, will not search shared notebooks. Have to do those separately.

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, mstanwyck0 said:

I find that the search function is quite inaccurate. It doesn't even do a good job of exact match on note titles

Can you give an example
My experience is the exact matches work; things get hazy with wildcards and special characters

fwiw   Search syntax is documented here      Evernote Search Grammar

• Level 5*
On 2/10/2017 at 6:46 PM, mstanwyck0 said:

I find that the search function is quite inaccurate. It doesn't even do a good job of exact match on note titles.

I haven't experienced similar behavior.  What searches are you attempting that are failing so poorly?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Vicki Parker said:

The search engine in notebooks is not working accurately.  I search for the exact word and either it is not found or all kinds of unassoicated notes come up.

Again, can you give us the exact search you;re using - its hard to troubleshoot these generic comments
For example:  search    testing

Search documentation can be reviewed at       Evernote Search Grammar

On 14/02/2017 at 3:38 PM, DTLow said:

Again, can you give us the exact search you;re using - its hard to troubleshoot these generic comments
For example:  search    testing

Search documentation can be reviewed at       Evernote Search Grammar

A problem I have seen is that when searching on iOS (and Web) from the 'All Notes View' for, say, a text string, the search does not include Shared Notebooks.  It is possible to select a specific Shared Notebook and repeat the search only for this Notebook - in which case the search works.

It seems to me that when it comes to search  "All Notes" really means "All Notes, except those in Shared Notebooks".

This is illustrated by the iOS screenshots in this publicly shared note - https://www.evernote.com/l/AM7SMpU5aBFCOYTnxavVviuyMfmM5_GCGTk

A bug, or intent (surely not)?  Any workarounds or ideas?

Best regards,

Colin

On 3/17/2017 at 7:05 AM, Colin@LW said:

the search does not include Shared Notebooks

Hi Colin, let me dig into this and see what's going on. Would you mind trying something else for me? Do you get the same results (well, lack thereof) when you search in the search tab itself (tapping on the search icon in the tab bar)? Or is this only the case when searching within the All Notes view?

@Colin@LW – ok, I actually just checked this myself by searching for content in shared notebooks, with the same steps that you outlined above. I've used our internal version (the latest, much more updated than the app store version), and I get results from shared notebooks. In the app store version, I do not. So it seems that this bug has been fixed and should be coming your way soon! Hope this helps!

Archived