The way I understand Evernotes issues as well as why I stopped using it

So as of today I decided to come back to EN after a year long hiatus to see if they are doing anything at all. Does not seem so. I have decided to organize my thoughts on the weaknesses of EN's structure as of now.

• limiting devices instead of premium business features: I understand that EN as a business is finding a way to be sustainable, i really do. BUT when you gimp access to everyone who does not pay 400 USD per year and then expect people to stick around I don't quite understand what you are thinking. This alone made me switch to OneNote. There are plenty of things you can do to make an initiative for business professional to pay for this subscription. However, when you force me to pay 400 USD for sync across more than two devices, offline access, and customer support you are pathetic and delusional. These are all things that your competitors are doing without a paid subscription. I personally would have added sync across all devices for free and for the paid subscription you get BUSINESS support, a form of collab mode (like in office 2016) and a revision backup system in case someone screws up a note (so that a BUSINESS can recover the note from before it got screwed up). The PLUS subscription package is really underwhelming and is honestly what the free package should be.
  • searching indexed files is not a premium feature: The ability to search for text in PDF's is not something that will make someone pay 70 USD per month. Just like how I said the PLUS package is underwhelming so is the PREMIUM package. Just like how the PLUS pkg should be designed for small to medium businesses the PREMIUM package should be designed for large entities. In PREMIUM you should have assignable roles to dictate who can do what to certain notes. That way the marketing team can only have certain permissions. You don't want your marketing team looking at the accounting notes do you? You should have the following roles: Notebook admin, contributor, editor, user. You should have the following permissions: none, read, write. The upload sizes for the BASIC pkg should be 1 GB, PLUS 10 GB and PREMIUM 100 GB. Then you will have a more appetizing offer and can reprice the PREMIUM to better suit the services you are offering large corporate entities. But as I understand the most expensive package is super underwhelming at 840.00 USD per year. With technology being so powerful everywhere else in the industry I dont see why EN (something i loved a few years back) is so weak.
  • Level 5*
On 2016-12-23 at 11:36 AM, jblevins1991 said:

BUT when you gimp access to everyone who does not pay 400 USD per year and then expect people to stick around I don't quite understand what you are thinking.

Are you just making up $ numbers 
In Canada, the plus account is $40US a year

On 23-12-2016 at 8:36 PM, jblevins1991 said:

So as of today I decided to come back to EN after a year long hiatus to see if they are doing anything at all. Does not seem so. I have decided to organize my thoughts on the weaknesses of EN's structure as of now.

• limiting devices instead of premium business features: I understand that EN as a business is finding a way to be sustainable, i really do. BUT when you gimp access to everyone who does not pay 400 USD per year and then expect people to stick around I don't quite understand what you are thinking. This alone made me switch to OneNote. There are plenty of things you can do to make an initiative for business professional to pay for this subscription. However, when you force me to pay 400 USD for sync across more than two devices, offline access, and customer support you are pathetic and delusional. These are all things that your competitors are doing without a paid subscription. I personally would have added sync across all devices for free and for the paid subscription you get BUSINESS support, a form of collab mode (like in office 2016) and a revision backup system in case someone screws up a note (so that a BUSINESS can recover the note from before it got screwed up). The PLUS subscription package is really underwhelming and is honestly what the free package should be.
  • searching indexed files is not a premium feature: The ability to search for text in PDF's is not something that will make someone pay 70 USD per month. Just like how I said the PLUS package is underwhelming so is the PREMIUM package. Just like how the PLUS pkg should be designed for small to medium businesses the PREMIUM package should be designed for large entities. In PREMIUM you should have assignable roles to dictate who can do what to certain notes. That way the marketing team can only have certain permissions. You don't want your marketing team looking at the accounting notes do you? You should have the following roles: Notebook admin, contributor, editor, user. You should have the following permissions: none, read, write. The upload sizes for the BASIC pkg should be 1 GB, PLUS 10 GB and PREMIUM 100 GB. Then you will have a more appetizing offer and can reprice the PREMIUM to better suit the services you are offering large corporate entities. But as I understand the most expensive package is super underwhelming at 840.00 USD per year. With technology being so powerful everywhere else in the industry I dont see why EN (something i loved a few years back) is so weak.

I  think you mixed up the prices with a factor 12 (months) : apparently evernotes yearly prices are so low that you mistake them for monthly :-)

• Level 5*
On 12/23/2016 at 2:36 PM, jblevins1991 said:

Just like how the PLUS pkg should be designed for small to medium businesses the PREMIUM package should be designed for large entities.

So many inaccuracies in this post, it's hard to choose what to respond to. But here's one: Evernote premium is for individuals. The Evernote Business product is (duh) for businesses: https://evernote.com/business/

Your rant would be absolutely right, I don't think that anybody (except maybe very rich businesses) should pay that much for this functionality in 2016/2017. Luckily nobody has to, at least not with EN, since the US/EU-prices are 30 $/€ resp. 60 $/€ per YEAR.

For me the free account has always been the one to get the feeling of EN. After a few weeks trying it out I paid up, since I know how much money it costs to run a service like this. And EN going broke forcing me to import ALL of my notes (several 1000) and restructuring them in a new program is nothing I look forward to, so if I use a service I like I don't expect it to be free (but yes, certainly not 400$ a year).

Is it an ideal program? No - but what is?

Archived