can't sync on win

I have two laptops and an android cell phone. The two laptops will not sync. I just upgraded to Premium thinking that it would solve the problem, but it hasn't. Example: on one laptop and the android a notebook has 6 notes, but on the other laptop the notebook is empty. In one notebook I have two sub-folders. In one laptop and the android one sub-folder has 3, the other has 4 notes; in the other laptop, it's the opposite - 4 & 3. Sync means ALL devices should be the same!

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Scratch Chef said:

I have two laptops and an android cell phone. The two laptops will not sync. I just upgraded to Premium thinking that it would solve the problem, but it hasn't. Example: on one laptop and the android a notebook has 6 notes, but on the other laptop the notebook is empty. In one notebook I have two sub-folders. In one laptop and the android one sub-folder has 3, the other has 4 notes; in the other laptop, it's the opposite - 4 & 3. Sync means ALL devices should be the same!

There's various suggestions on this page, and you can contact support; there's a link below in my support section.

I can only tell you that syncing works for over one hundred million users. 

I even uninstalled Evernote, went into REGEDIT and deleted everything with "evernote" in it; those with a default, I modified and cleared the values with "evernote". Then I downloaded and reinstalled Evernote. I got the same problem - one notebook is still empty on this notebook while there are SIX notes in the same notebook on my other laptop & android cell phone. In the notebook that shows the 6 notes, a red circle with an exclamation mark on top of the "Sync" icon when I click on the icon. There is another sub-folder that is suppose to have 6 notes, but on this notebook there are only 3. On this laptop, I have a subfolder with 16 notes, but on the other notebook, there are only 3. Every note was originally entered from this laptop. There are many other notebooks with sub-folder content does not match between devices. In conclusion, Evernote is NOT syncing properly to all my devices! Evernote content should be identical in all three devices! This is totally unacceptable!

Update: I have to MANUALLY sync between devices by exporting notes from one laptop and dropping into Evernote on the other laptop.

• Level 5*

Try adding a dummy tag to all your notes on one laptop and then sync.  Then sync on the other laptop and add a different tag and sync.  Then back to the first lap top and sync.  See how the totals look then.  Then sync the phone.  If all good, then delete the two dummy tags.  Hopefully once in sync it will stay that way.  Safe practice is to sync when you enter/leave a device. 

My first thought was this was a stupid idea - notebooks and notes are suppose to be sync'd in Evernote's servers; all devices linked to that account should be in sync since they're suppose to be reading from the same server account. But I went ahead and added a dummy note, then ran SYNC. Just as I expected - the dummy note did not sync. I tried it the other way and still no sync. The problem is with Evernote's servers. And what about that red circle with exclamation point on top of the SYNC icon (button)? If I can't rely on my notebooks being in sync between my devices, what good is Evernote?

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Scratch Chef said:

I went ahead and added a dummy note, then ran SYNC. Just as I expected - the dummy note did not sync. I tried it the other way and still no sync. The problem is with Evernote's servers. And what about that red circle with exclamation point on top of the SYNC icon (button)? 

Just curious - what platform did you add the note on?

I would have started with the web platform.

Also when you do a reinstall, you might look at an third party uninstaller to make sure you get everything, including the database.   I understand Revo is recommended for Windows.

First, I'm an advanced user and retired as a computer software consultant. I've been using computers since the old CP/M system (before DOS). I programmed in CP/M and DOS. I certainly know how to uninstall and install software, and I'm definitely not new to REGEDIT. I don't need a 3rd party software to do it. Second, all my devices run on Windows 10. You want me to add notes using the Evernote Web platform? That is absolutely ridiculous! With a few mouse-clicks, you're suppose to be able to add notes into Evernote from any linked device and sync to all your linked devices from within Evernote's servers. Computers are meant to save time; your suggestion would take MORE time (going on-line, logging in, etc). Your suggestion defeats the whole idea of Evernote.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Scratch Chef said:

And what about that red circle with exclamation point on top of the SYNC icon (button)?

Sometimes, very rarely in my view, syncs have issues.  That red button means that there is an issue with a note that is preventing it from syncing.  If you go to all notes context and then press the Ctrl key while clicking on the sync button you should get a list of any notes with issues.  Edit/adjust those results or copy to new notes to fix the problems.  Not sure what has caused your getting out of sync, but the above are the steps to try and get back to normal.

I followed your procedure (1) go to All Notes, (2) press Ctrl-Sync. Results: NO notes displayed; the red circle remains. I did it on the laptop with no red circle - same results. For over an hour, I've been manually syncing my two laptops. Then I will check Evernote on my android. At this point, they should be identical. Next, I will insert a dummy note, sync, and check the android. Whichever computer is syncing to the adnroid, that will be my master. 

This is for anyone who has the same sync problem. Let me first label the devices: Laptop - A; Laptop - B; android phone - C.  Evernote has two problems. (1) There is a problem with their installation program; Evernote was installed on A first and B several months later. After that, it was installed on C. Something was wrong with the installation on B. In order to fix the sync problem, I had to uninstall on B, but Evernote's uninstall doesn't work thoroughly using Control Panel in Windows 10. The sync problem does not go away with that reinstallation. It is necessary to enter REGEDIT and delete everything with "evernote" in it, and then do a clean installation. Whichever device you use to add a note(s), press Sync when done so the new note(s) are added to Evernote's server. The trick is to find out which device has the faulty install. Only testing will tell that.

who would not be on the pc or mobile sync is done in the following way :
1. Open Evernote on any pc or mobile full longer your note
2. edit notes on the device have enough notes
3. click on the device to sync sync is 'll see the full note
This is the fault of the Evernote not by fault of the user. Wish Evernote fix this bug soon.

Archived